Gravity?

The answer is quite simple

upload_2020-1-24_16-41-21.jpeg

If you drop a man's wristwatch and a piece of bubblegum from the top of the Empire State Building at exactly the same time, which one hits the ground first?
an old lady talking about gravity,,,forgive me I thought it was a different subject,,,

Well, I sort of thought of that and tried to come up with two items that wouldn't have a lot of difference in "drag."
So my original question was to see if mass changes the action of gravity, and I'm guessing the answer is no?
Correct.

Actually the answer "no" is incorrect.

Mass is a component of the Terminal Velocity formula and changes in mass change the terminal velocity or in other words the speed at which an object falls through Earth's atmosphere assuming standard gravitational pull.

Other factors include air density, drag coefficient, and area.
.WW
So, the answer is "correct", as the difference is atmospheric, not gravitational or mass.

Well, I sort of thought of that and tried to come up with two items that wouldn't have a lot of difference in "drag."
So my original question was to see if mass changes the action of gravity, and I'm guessing the answer is no?
Correct.

Mass is a component of the Terminal Velocity formula and changes in mass change the terminal velocity or in other words the speed at which an object falls through Earth's atmosphere assuming standard gravitational pull.

.WW
So, the answer is "correct", as the difference is atmospheric, not gravitational or mass.

What you said "correct" to was "So my original question was to see if mass changes the action of gravity, and I'm guessing the answer is no?"

That is incorrect.

What changes as a function of mass is terminal velocity. Terminal velocity and acceleration impacted by area, drag, and air density changes.

The force of gravity doesn't change. For the Earth's surface it's considered a constant 9.8 meters/second/second.
.WW

If you drop a man's wristwatch and a piece of bubblegum from the top of the Empire State Building at exactly the same time, which one hits the ground first?
Depends on how they are shaped. In a vacuum they would hit at the same time. But the Empire State Building is surrounded by air. If a great big bubble has been blown in the bubble gum, the bubble will act as a parachute.
But my experiment did not have a big bubble blown in the gum. What would work, I guess, to test this out, would be if I had two items of identical size and shape that were made of two materials such as a ping pong ball and an identically sized ball of lead.
Sounds like you are trying to relearn Galileo's experiments. I would say learn about what he was credited with already doing.
I would say mind your own business and if you're not interested in helping me understand it, move on.
Lol. I guess reading something that has already been done is too hard.

Gravity is an illusion, the Earth just sucks at the moment.

Depends? do you blow a bubble first?

Doesn't anyone know?
Aerodynamics have to be taken into account. A stick of gum in a wrapper and all won't fall as a round ball of gum would.
No. Both objects will accelerate at 32 feet per second per second until.they reach their respective terminal velocity.

But my experiment did not have a big bubble blown in the gum. What would work, I guess, to test this out, would be if I had two items of identical size and shape that were made of two materials such as a ping pong ball and an identically sized ball of lead.

Given the new parameters:

1. Identical size and shape (assuming you mean same area and drag).
2. On ping pong ball (assuming you mean lite, hollow table tennis type) and a equally sized ball of lead.

Then you can say that the lead ball will hit first based on the higher mass given all other factors being the same.
.WW
I've screen several different paragraphs trying to explain how it works, but I can't seem to make it sound clear.

Hopefully someone else has done a better job.

Correct.

.WW
Okay. If I drop two identically shaped but different weight objects off the top of the Empire State Building at exactly the same time, the air density will be the same and the area is the same. The only difference would be drag, but if the items are identically shaped, there shouldn't be any difference in drag either.
But the force of gravity will be greater on the object that weighs the most. So more force to overcome the drag means that object falls faster.
The force of gravity is the same for both. The difference is the drag.

Correct.

.WW
Okay. If I drop two identically shaped but different weight objects off the top of the Empire State Building at exactly the same time, the air density will be the same and the area is the same. The only difference would be drag, but if the items are identically shaped, there shouldn't be any difference in drag either.
But the force of gravity will be greater on the object that weighs the most. So more force to overcome the drag means that object falls faster.
What is "drag," Crepitus? From some of the answers I've gotten, it sounds like it isn't just shape but "mass," which isn't weight. Does a solid object shaped identically to a hollow object fall at exactly the same rate? It sounds as if drag happens INSIDE the object, not just on its outer surface. Is that right?

.WW
What is "drag," Crepitus? From some of the answers I've gotten, it sounds like it isn't just shape but "mass," which isn't weight. Does a solid object shaped identically to a hollow object fall at exactly the same rate? It sounds as if drag happens INSIDE the object, not just on its outer surface. Is that right?
Drag is basically air resistance. There's a formula for figuring it:

Density × 1/2 velocity × area.

What that means is if you have a pound of feathers and a pound of lead dropped in a vacuum they will land at the same time.

Dorp them in the atmosphere and its a totally different story. The feathers have a much larger surface area to interact with the air, which slows them down

If you had your ping pong ball and your lead ball the lead ball hits the ground first because the ping-pong ball has a larger surface area for it's mass than the lead one.

If you loaded the ping-pong ball with enough wieght to be the same as the lead ball they will.hit the ground at the same time.

If you increase the size of the ping-pong ball until it weighs as much as the lead one does it still falls slower, because you have increased the surface area to match.

air friction.......only in a controlled atmosphere would they hit at the same time..........as already stated.........

a lead weight will not be affected much at all by the wind...........a ping pong ball would be blown all over the place................

To be correct, the force of gravity does change and is dependent on the mass of the object. It is the acceleration that remains constant.

The force of gravity remains constant and gravity is expressed as an acceleration of 9.8 meters per second per second (or verbally you would say 9.8 meters per second squared).

The force of gravity does not change. The results of gravity change depending on other factors.

The other factors in the formula previously presented oppose the force resulting in different rates of actual velocity increase and the resultant Terminal Velocity.

See post #7 for the formula, gravity is a constant (for Earth generally speaking for this discussion) and increasing mass increases Terminal Velocity. Increasing the density of the medium through which an object travels, the area presented to the medium, or the drag coefficient will case the objects actual acceleration and terminal velocity to decrease.

It's basic algebra and understanding of how changes on one side of a formula (right side) impact the results (left side).
.WW

The force of gravity remains constant
False. The acceleration due to gravity remains constant. The force on a more massive object is obviously greater than on a less massive object, as would be required to accelerate these two objects at the same rate.

Forum List

Back