Gravity?

The force of gravity is the same for both.
Only if the objects have identical mass.
Not so. Both a feather and a bowling ball will fall at 32 feet per second per second in a vacuum at 1 G.
The force of gravity on an object is how much it weighs. A bowling ball weighs much more than a feather. (Unless it is a giant feather.) You are confusing F - force, with g -acceleration due to gravity.

The force of gravity is the same for both.
Only if the objects have identical mass.
Not so. Both a feather and a bowling ball will fall at 32 feet per second per second in a vacuum at 1 G.
The force of gravity on an object is how much it weighs. A bowling ball weighs much more than a feather. (Unless it is a giant feather.) You are confusing F - force, with g -acceleration due to gravity.
Gravity imparts the same acceleration on everything regardless.

Precisely because the force on the bowling ball is greater. That is where you are making your mistake. You described acceleration, not force.

I'll just say that Force as a result of acceleration by gravity is different than thinking of gravity as "force".

Cavity is a constant (within the bounds of the Earth) at 9.8 meters / second / second.

Force being Mass * Acceleration does not mean that the "force of gravity" changes based on the mass of the object. Gravitational effect is the acceleration of an object due to gravity and gravity within the scope of Terminal Velocity is a constant.

Gravity is the same for a pound of feathers and a ton of steal. Gravitational acceleration (9.8 m/s/s) does not change based on mass. The rate of actual acceleration and final terminal velocity can change depending on other factors such as mass, area, and drag coefficient. That does not mean that gravity changes though.

Hence dropping a pound of feathers and a ton of steal will fall at the same rate in a vacuum but fall at different rates though another medium.

Ya'll have a nice evening, I recommend talking to a physics teacher.
.WW

I'll just say that Force as a result of acceleration by gravity is different than thinking of gravity as "force".
No it isn't. That is 100% incorrect. Acceleration results from force, not the other way around. Acceleration due to gravity is the result of the force that is gravity. You are all kinds of inside out there, my man.

By the way, i taught physics. Now would be a good time to follow your own advice. You have said a few things in this thread that are 100% backwards and incorrect.

Last edited:
Doesn't anyone know?
Aerodynamics have to be taken into account. A stick of gum in a wrapper and all won't fall as a round ball of gum would.
Well, I sort of thought of that and tried to come up with two items that wouldn't have a lot of difference in "drag."
So my original question was to see if mass changes the action of gravity, and I'm guessing the answer is no?
Ignoring wind resistance all objects accelerate at the same rate regardless of mass.

If you dropped two bowling balls, one 8# and one 16#, they would both fall at the same rate of acceleration.

If you drop a man's wristwatch and a piece of bubblegum from the top of the Empire State Building at exactly the same time, which one hits the ground first?
Depends on how they are shaped. In a vacuum they would hit at the same time. But the Empire State Building is surrounded by air. If a great big bubble has been blown in the bubble gum, the bubble will act as a parachute.
But my experiment did not have a big bubble blown in the gum. What would work, I guess, to test this out, would be if I had two items of identical size and shape that were made of two materials such as a ping pong ball and an identically sized ball of lead.
You did not say whether it did or did not... until now.

The air friction would have much more effect on the ping pong ball because the ping pong ball is less dense. The air friction would have hardly any effect on the ball of lead from that height compared to the effect the air friction has on the ping pong ball.
I don't understand that. Why should the friction be any different if they are exactly the same size and shape? Both totally smooth on the outside.
Friction factors can be different due to the “slickness” of each object’s surface material. The friction force is the product of the normal force which is the weight of the object times the friction factor. To add to the confusion is the sum of the net forces which is a free body diagram. In other words the ping pong ball is affected more than the lead ball because the resultant net force is less than the lead ball.

But ignoring friction all objects accelerate at the same rate.

No it isn't. That is 100% incorrect. Acceleration results from force, not the other way around. Acceleration due to gravity is the result of the force that is gravity. You are all kinds of inside out there, my man.

By the way, i taught physics. Now would be a good time to follow your own advice. You have said a few things in this thread that are 100% backwards and incorrect.
In Einstein’s picture of gravity, gravity is not a force between masses. Gravity is an effect of the warping of space and time in the presence of mass.

Mass warps space time.

how to visualize gravity as a warping of space - Google Search

It’s a stretch to say you could throw a penny 50 mph.
Why? I bet either one of us could probably throw one about 80 mph, if not more. I can still hit about 70 on the gun with a baseball, with little to no warmup. A penny is much less massive than a baseball.

Last edited:

In Einstein’s picture of gravity, gravity is not a force between masses. Gravity is an effect of the warping of space and time in the presence of mass.

Mass warps space time.

Yep, a different way of looking at gravity. But, when talking of it as a force, it is a force.

Why? I bet either one of us could probably throw one about 80 mph, if not more. I can still hit about 70 on the gun with a baseball, with little to no warmup. A penny is much less massive than a baseball.
How fast you can throw a penny and a baseball probably depends on how fast you can move your arm in a throwing motion. I doubt that a baseball or a penny has enough mass to significantly decrease the speed of that motion. You probably can throw a penny at an initial velocity of 70 mph or more, but it will decelerate very quickly due to drag.

Mass warps space time.

Yep, a different way of looking at gravity. But, when talking of it as a force, it is a force.
Sure, but it’s not a different way of looking at it. It’s what it is in reality. In my mind, using it to calculate force is a way of calculating its effect so to speak. As near as I understand it everything is moving in a straight line, it’s just the straight line is warped.

As already pointed out the velocity drops so distance enters the equation.

It would be interesting to see a radar gun reading of the instantaneous velocity. A penny isn’t quite like a baseball. I don’t believe you would approach the same speed.

If you drop a man's wristwatch and a piece of bubblegum from the top of the Empire State Building at exactly the same time, which one hits the ground first?

Since the Empire State Building is on the Earth, then the answer would be ...

View attachment 302320

If you would supply m, g, d, A, and C I'll be happy to let you know the answer to your question.
.WW
Yep, drag coefficient and mass are key to the answer. The real answer is, in a vacuum, they would hit the ground at the same time, but in atmosphere, there are variables that would change the outcome

Forum List

Back