Gravity?

OldLady

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2015
If you drop a man's wristwatch and a piece of bubblegum from the top of the Empire State Building at exactly the same time, which one hits the ground first?

Depends on if the man is still wearing the wristwatch.

If you drop a man's wristwatch and a piece of bubblegum from the top of the Empire State Building at exactly the same time, which one hits the ground first?

Since the Empire State Building is on the Earth, then the answer would be ...

upload_2020-1-24_15-29-53.jpeg

If you would supply m, g, d, A, and C I'll be happy to let you know the answer to your question.
.WW

Since the Empire State Building is on the Earth, then the answer would be ...

View attachment 302320

If you would supply m, g, d, A, and C I'll be happy to let you know the answer to your question.
.WW
Bubblegum, dear. And a Timex. No bullets.

Doesn't anyone know?
Aerodynamics have to be taken into account. A stick of gum in a wrapper and all won't fall as a round ball of gum would.
Well, I sort of thought of that and tried to come up with two items that wouldn't have a lot of difference in "drag."
So my original question was to see if mass changes the action of gravity, and I'm guessing the answer is no?

Doesn't anyone know?
Aerodynamics have to be taken into account. A stick of gum in a wrapper and all won't fall as a round ball of gum would.
Well, I sort of thought of that and tried to come up with two items that wouldn't have a lot of difference in "drag."
So my original question was to see if mass changes the action of gravity, and I'm guessing the answer is no?
Correct.

Depends on how they are shaped. In a vacuum they would hit at the same time. But the Empire State Building is surrounded by air. If a great big bubble has been blown in the bubble gum, the bubble will act as a parachute.

Depends on how they are shaped. In a vacuum they would hit at the same time. But the Empire State Building is surrounded by air. If a great big bubble has been blown in the bubble gum, the bubble will act as a parachute.
But my experiment did not have a big bubble blown in the gum. What would work, I guess, to test this out, would be if I had two items of identical size and shape that were made of two materials such as a ping pong ball and an identically sized ball of lead.

But my experiment did not have a big bubble blown in the gum. What would work, I guess, to test this out, would be if I had two items of identical size and shape that were made of two materials such as a ping pong ball and an identically sized ball of lead.
You did not say whether it did or did not... until now.

The air friction would have much more effect on the ping pong ball because the ping pong ball is less dense. The air friction would have hardly any effect on the ball of lead from that height compared to the effect the air friction has on the ping pong ball.

The lead ball would hit the ground first.

Forum List

Back