Grasping at straws

Discussion in 'Military' started by RetiredGySgt, Nov 20, 2007.

1. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,971
    As a Military member on active duty stationed at a military installation with medical facilities one has NEVER had the right to go check themselves into VA or civilian hospitals EVER. AWOL is ABSENT WITHOUT LEAVE. By abandoning his command and "checking himself" into any facility outside the military chain he fits the charge and should have been arrested as he was and returned to military control.

Further read the article, the man was National Guard and VOLUNTEERED to go active AFTER his first tour. Umm why would he, after taking a 20 thousand dollar bonus then expect to never be sent BACK to Iraq?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071120/ap_on_re_us/soldier_arrest

2. doniston

doniston Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I have a hunch this will blow over and he will be discharged, with perhaps a slap on the wrist. Could it be that his military doctors dropped the ball?

3. DeadCanDance

DeadCanDance Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127

I thought you had a problem with condemning soldiers of a crime, before they have formally been investigated and convicted?

4. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Based on the article he was absent without leave, which is a chargeable offense in the military.

Further, personnel on active duty have no right to VA services since they received active duty services.

Further, if he is dissatisfied with services received he has every right to go to the Inspector General assigned to the hospital on the Fort; which, is the proper action to take.

Whether or not he is trying to pull a fast one or actually has PTSD is irrelevant, and not really for any of US to say.

5. DeadCanDance

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    from RSG's article:

Allegedly. Hmmmm...

don't worry, I get it.

You and RSG have two different standards: One for John Murtha, and one for yourselves.

Got it.

6. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,971
    You are aware that the term "alleged" is standard in all such stories? The simple act of checking himself into the VA hospital was against military law and regulation. Further the Military does not arrest people for AWOL unless they in fact ARE AWOL.

Ohh and to help you just a little, being one minute late to a formation is in fact AWOL. Though I suspect this fellow was a tad bit longer AWOL. We have his OWN words to go by as to his intent and purpose.

7. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,428
    According to the article, he was unable to get the assistance of appropriate medical assistance from the military. Given that we know how long the wait, even for evaluation for PTSD, is it impossible to imagine this being correct.

Funny how we view this differently. Me? I see a desperate guy, sick and in trouble who couldn't get the help he needed and who was being re-rotated into the situation which made him sick in the first place.

8. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    How do you figure? He was either AWOL or not. If he was, then the CO will decide whether or not to press charges. I don't.

That does not negate the fact he did not follow proper procedure.

It's obvious YOU have two different standards ... one for your left-wingnut POV and another for everyone who doesn't hold the same.

9. DeadCanDance

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127

Its really pathetic that one, you apply a different standard to yourself than you do to john murtha. And two, in spite of your alleged military experience, you are unaware that a charge of AWOL becomes an adminstrative and legal procedure, in which your guilt (if any) is determined adminstratively or through legal proceeding.

You've already convicted this guy.

Its really pathetic how unprincipled you are.

10. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,971
    And I see a guy that took 20k and then tries to weasel out of his commitment. The military takes mental health VERY seriously. They do NOT play around with it. Every NCO and up is taught to watch for problems and see that anyone they even sorta suspect has a problem gets help. And this was in the Peace Time Military. There is absolutely NO way I believe that the medical staff at his Fort did not evaluate him and take his claims serious. Hell for all we know he is AWOL because he did not go to the Fort Hospital and went to the VA instead.