Granny is GOING to Live ...or Die Trying

Ernestine Shepard I will never be.

There's no need to be Ernestine Shepard, Granny.

Bodybuilders aren't necessarily the healthiest people. I'm not saying they're not healthy, but you don't have to look like they do to be super healthy.

I have a niece who's quite the body builder. Let me see if I can find a picture of her.

Yeah - I just want to be fit, not look like a man. Some of these women look really good, but then there are the ones who are SO muscle bound that they look hideous - at least to me.

Doing the plank will strengthen your stomach muscles, but at the age of 70, it may be difficult. How physically fit are you?

The plank? The plank!? You want me to walk the plank?! I thought they did away with that when the last pirate ship sank.

*Granny goes to website for further info*

I saw Jane Fonda, former fitness nut, doing an interview and they asked her what she did these days to workout. She just said whatever she felt like doing. Don't hurt yourself. Walk as much as possible or ride a bike, 3 days a week, 30 minutes a day..

Keep your lungs working and your heart strong. To do that you need to keep moving.

She's 76, btw.

Last edited:
Walk as much as possible, eh? I walk my apartment complex every day. Finally got one of those pedometer gizmos and tried it tonight just out of curiosity. I took 2,966 steps, walked 1.26 miles ... and burned a friggin' 88 calories????? That can't possibly be right. If it is, then the only thing I can consume for the rest of my life is one serving of sugar free Jello per day and all the water I can stand. :hmpf:

88 calories cannot possibly be right. Good Lord, it takes about 20 or so minutes to do that route, I'm sweating like a pig and generally smell like the north end of a southbound mule when I get back to my apartment.

Walk as much as possible, eh? I walk my apartment complex every day. Finally got one of those pedometer gizmos and tried it tonight just out of curiosity. I took 2,966 steps, walked 1.26 miles ... and burned a friggin' 88 calories????? That can't possibly be right. If it is, then the only thing I can consume for the rest of my life is one serving of sugar free Jello per day and all the water I can stand. :hmpf:

88 calories cannot possibly be right. Good Lord, it takes about 20 or so minutes to do that route, I'm sweating like a pig and generally smell like the north end of a southbound mule when I get back to my apartment.

When you get older, you don't eat that much to gain significant weight. Try to relax about it. Keep walking your 1.26 miles everyday, eat normal amounts. You'll be fine.

In my experience, and I have a lot of experience since I have a tendency to be fat, you can't lose weight with exercise alone. As you have discovered, it takes a hell of a lot of exercise to burn a signficant amount of calories.

You can have a lot more than jello and water, though! Check out the Weight Watcher's program. I can eat 25 points a day, walk a couple miles a day, and lose at least one pound a week. That may not sound like much, but time goes on and before you know it, you're slim and trim. And I'm eating enough that I'm not hungry.

In the end it all boils down to this... in order to lose weight you need to burn more calories than you consume. I don't restrict carbs, either, I love carbs too much to give them up. I just try to eat complex carbs, not simple carbs...you know, 100% whole wheat bread versus white bread.

I tried that plank. I like it. I think I'll start with 15 second and work my way up. See what it does for me. : )

Health is not a number but boy oh boy it's an indicator. Over the past couple of years I've gone from a size 7-8 to a 11-13.

Not a big smurf and I'm not being a wise guy on this but my body does not like my weight gain. I didn't change eating habits but one thing has got me.

I lost my old dogs. Ruby, Dusty and Bad Ass never seemed like a work out regime but I guess they were. And when they passed I never walked those miles hence everything I guess I ate went to my hips "do not pass go".

I've never had to try a diet in my life so this is weird for me. And holy toledo there is some crazy stuff out there that people recommend.

On the bright side new puppy coming home in a month and at least "x" amount of pounds will be gone running down the road and "y" amount of pounds will be be gone running around the house going "put mummy's boots down".

I'll be happy granny to take any tips because I just don't feel right at this weight.

ETA: I lie. Only one other time stuck in Nashville on the company dime and eating only hotel food. I had to diet hard core after that. But I was way younger then. And the pounds came off easy, Geeze louise I hope that makes sense because that weight loss seemed like a walk in the park.

Last edited:
sex burns more calories than that.

Now, THAT is a damned fine idea!!

When you get older, you don't eat that much to gain significant weight. Try to relax about it. Keep walking your 1.26 miles everyday, eat normal amounts. You'll be fine.

I think it was good food and too much drinking while on vacation! I'm not talking about losing lots of weight - just a couple of pounds - like maybe about 3-4. When I dropped sugar a year or more ago, I just dumped the pounds. I went from a size 14 to a size 10 and it's that 10 I want to maintain. I can't afford to loose a lot of weight because it would make my face sink in before it made anything else shrink. I don't think I eat any less in terms of portions - I've just changed what I eat and how I prepare it.

Forum List

Back