Would you be a target if you flew Old Glory?

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
I fly the Stars and Stripes every day but I have heard that some Americans mainly in certain inner cities and suburban areas would be targets for harassment if they dared to fly the US Flag other than on Independence Day aka the 4th of July.

I fly the Stars and Stripes every day but I have heard that some Americans mainly in certain inner cities and suburban areas would be targets for harassment if they dared to fly the US Flag other than on Independence Day aka the 4th of July.

Doubtful. Seems like another stupid Republican talking point to me.

Yup

I fly the flag most every day. It frequently stays out overnight with floodlights illuminating it. Then, here in Alabama, I'm more apt to get harassed for not flying the flag.
I flew the flag frequently up in Connecticut too.

In some hispanic areas the sight of the American flag is an incitement to riot. Not long ago a boy wearing a flag inspired t shirt was sent home from school before a violent confrontation occurred.

In some hispanic areas the sight of the American flag is an incitement to riot. Not long ago a boy wearing a flag inspired t shirt was sent home from school before a violent confrontation occurred.

Was he wearing it to be patriotic? Or as a specific insult meant to question the loyalty of hispanics (legal or not)?

The stories I've seen similar to this have almost all been the latter and those kids are just being assholes.

Wrong. If anything a Republican would be screaming for the right to display the US Flag. It's the liberals (and a few others) who have a penchant for burning the US Flag.

A lot of subdivisions have restrictions on what can and cannot be displayed or done to a property - and flying any kind of flag is one of those restrictions. Can't park any cars on the street, can't have this, can't have that, have to get the permission of the Homeowners' Association for every damned little tulip you want to plant. Screw that. If I'm going to pay $300k for a house I'm going to plant what I damned well please and fly what I damned well please AND I'm still going to keep my property up instead of having an eyesore mess all over the place.

Was he wearing it to be patriotic? Or as a specific insult meant to question the loyalty of hispanics (legal or not)?

The stories I've seen similar to this have almost all been the latter and those kids are just being assholes.
If I'm not mistaken, the kid in that story had an Hispanic surname.

You gonna' shift yer outrage now?

What story are you talking about?

Here are 4 of students just being assholes:

» Punished For Patriotism? Student Suspended Over American Flag Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees | NBC Bay Area

Students Suspended For Wearing American Flag Bandanas And Chanting ?USA!?

California Students Sent Home for Wearing U.S. Flags on Cinco de Mayo | Fox News

Took me 2 seconds to search. None of them were being patriotic, they were just trying to thumb their noses at hispanic people.

The stories I've seen simila#3r to this have almost all been the latter and those kids are just being assholes.

He was pointing out the the sight of the American flag is a specific insult to hispanics. In most cases it is.

» Punished For Patriotism? Student Suspended Over American Flag Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

California Students Sent Home for Wearing U.S. Flags on Cinco de Mayo | Fox News

Took me 2 seconds to search. None of them were being patriotic, they were just trying to thumb their noses at hispanic people.

Did you read your links?
Two go to the same story.

One link goes to a blog that states this:

And by the way, this is Black History Month. So, if you’re white or Hispanic (I didn’t capitalize “white” because that would be racist), don’t show up to school, because that would be racist. The school district superintendent said that the USA chant was racist because it was saying, “We are from the USA, and you’re not.” A white kid showing up to school during Black History Month would be like saying, “I’m white, and you’re not.” Only in America, the Land of the Free, would chanting America’s name and wearing America’s colors be considered derogatory.

Here is fallout from the other links:
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...flag-t-shirts-on-cinco-de-mayo/1#.Ub0g8CP9HzE
Did anything happen to the 200 students who skipped school?

Oops, apolgies...
California Principal Apologizes for Forbidding U.S. Flag Shirts on Mexican Holiday | Fox News

And this one:

Students being an @sshole to who???

Did you read your links?
Two go to the same story.

One link goes to a blog that states this:

And by the way, this is Black History Month. So, if you’re white or Hispanic (I didn’t capitalize “white” because that would be racist), don’t show up to school, because that would be racist. The school district superintendent said that the USA chant was racist because it was saying, “We are from the USA, and you’re not.” A white kid showing up to school during Black History Month would be like saying, “I’m white, and you’re not.” Only in America, the Land of the Free, would chanting America’s name and wearing America’s colors be considered derogatory.

Here is fallout from the other links:
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...flag-t-shirts-on-cinco-de-mayo/1#.Ub0g8CP9HzE
Did anything happen to the 200 students who skipped school?

Oops, apolgies...
California Principal Apologizes for Forbidding U.S. Flag Shirts on Mexican Holiday | Fox News

And this one:

Students being an @sshole to who???

Whoops nope didn't read any of my links.

Forbidding the shirts is wrong. But I'd bet a million dollars that those students weren't wearing American flag t-shirts to NOT demean hispanic students at the school :cool:

And if that's the reason they're doing it, then that makes them assholes.

Suppose the day after amnesty was passed every Mexican student came to school wearing Mexican flag gear to rub it in the faces of anyone who was against amnesty. Then they would be the assholes.

Would the Mexican flag be flying above the American flag at all the schools, State and Federal buildings that day?

Was he wearing it to patriotic? Or as an insult? I rest my case.

Forum List

Back