Govt orders Amtrak to use system that automatically slows trains near Philly crash site

From my understanding, all trains are planned to use the system. There wasn't enough money to do all of them, so they prioritized which ones would get the system, and the rest will be upgraded as funds allow.

The system and equipment are already in place on the trains.
In fact the rules require the system/equipment to be used on southbound trains (even the same trains going south) on the same rail lines.
In any case ... It is not a fool proof system if the engineer chooses to override it.

A warning is given to alert the engineer that the speed of the train exceeds the upcoming requirements (speed limit).
The automatic breaking system only engages if the engineer does not respond to the warning (such as being away from their station, asleep or unconscious).
If the engineer responds to the warning (pushes a button on the console) ... The automatic breaking system will not engage to override the engineer.

I hadn't heard that. You got a link where I can read more about it? You're saying the system is already installed, but they just didn't turn it on, or it was turned on, but only southbound trains had to pay attention to it?

I hadn't heard that. You got a link where I can read more about it? You're saying the system is already installed, but they just didn't turn it on, or it was turned on, but only southbound trains had to pay attention to it?

It is installed and currently used on southbound trains as far as the report I saw, and the local news on the radio ... Will try to find a link that describes it better.

I think the system is also as described in that it is more of a safety precaution than an operator override.
Meaning the warning is indicated by a simple light and auditory indicator on the control panel ... And if the engineer indicates they are awake and aware the warning exists, pushing button will simply negate the automatic braking system.

If that is the case ... Almost all trains (class 1 passenger or freight) come equipped with the system ... Just like most private vehicles come with cruise control.
They became standard equipment years ago and prevent collisions by ensuring the engineer is awake ... And will randomly select times and locations that require a response as well if set to do so.

You would also be correct in that indicating the system does not have to be turned on to operate the train (much like cruise control).
But both reports I am aware of indicated that the southbound trains are required to turn the system on (compliance to regulation, not a prerequisite of actual operation) .

Edit:
There are more advanced systems available on the market that provide more protection ... And will override any instruction from the engineer.
A French company (Firsil) has Clearsy ACD (anti collision device) and ATS (automatic train stop) that use doppler radar in combination with switch indicators to protect trains from collision or speed issues.

So there are better options ... But there are some minor problems with the ATS ... Such as the fact the system slams on the emergency brake if the speed is exceeded for any reason ... Including minor oversight that is not a serious threat to the train.

Last edited:
Democrats DO have a solution that will prevent this kind of wreck and help solve Obama's unemployment problem.

Simply have a person (male or female or mixture thereof) walk in front of each train waving a red flag. Adjust the speed of the train to the speed of the walker. Now the schedule would, of necessity, be variable as even the lame and halt would have to be hired in appropriate numbers in the interest of fairness and equality.

It is installed and currently used on southbound trains as far as the report I saw, and the local news on the radio ... Will try to find a link that describes it better.

I think the system is also as described in that it is more of a safety precaution than an operator override.
Meaning the warning is indicated by a simple light and auditory indicator on the control panel ... And if the engineer indicates they are awake and aware the warning exists, pushing button will simply negate the automatic braking system.

If that is the case ... Almost all trains (class 1 passenger or freight) come equipped with the system ... Just like most private vehicles come with cruise control.
They became standard equipment years ago and prevent collisions by ensuring the engineer is awake ... And will randomly select times and locations that require a response as well if set to do so.

You would also be correct in that indicating the system does not have to be turned on to operate the train (much like cruise control).
But both reports I am aware of indicated that the southbound trains are required to turn the system on (compliance to regulation, not a prerequisite of actual operation) .

Edit:
There are more advanced systems available on the market that provide more protection ... And will override any instruction from the engineer.
A French company (Firsil) has Clearsy ACD (anti collision device) and ATS (automatic train stop) that use doppler radar in combination with switch indicators to protect trains from collision or speed issues.

So there are better options ... But there are some minor problems with the ATS ... Such as the fact the system slams on the emergency brake if the speed is exceeded for any reason ... Including minor oversight that is not a serious threat to the train.

I don't know much about trains, but that scenario doesn't make sense. There is no rational reason that I can come up with to use speed control equipment on southbound runs but not on northbound runs, if it is already installed. Obviously that is not the needed system that has been discussed.

Forum List

Back