Gov. Snyder (R-MI) Asks Feds To Foot The Bill For Flint

You are becoming tiresome with your lies. Switching to Flint River was only forced on the people of Flint by Detroit Water and Sewage throwing a hissy fit because Flint signed a long term contract with KWA.

Who cares? Sourcing the water from Flint River was not the problem. The problem was that the guy in charge decided "Well, we gots some water now, let's just use the same treatments we used before, and not even bother to ask ourselves if this is the right way to do things, because new treatment regimens would be more expensive."

Hedman and the EPA could have forced the DEQ to treat the water. She didn't. The EPA owns this debacle.

"An EPA water expert, Miguel Del Toral, identified potential problems with Flint’s drinking water in February, confirmed the suspicions in April and summarized the looming problem in a June internal memo. The state decided in October to change Flint’s drinking water source from the corrosive Flint River back to the Detroit water system.

Critics have charged Hedman with attempting to keep the memo’s information in-house and downplaying its significance.

As soon as the lack of corrosion controls became apparent, state and federal officials should have acted to protect the public, said Virginia Tech researcher Marc Edwards, whose water analysis in 2015 helped uncover Flint’s lead contamination.

“At that point, you do not just have smoke, you have a three-alarm fire and should respond immediately,” said Edwards, who, along with the American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan, has obtained dozens of key documents related to Flint’s crisis through public record requests.

“There was no sense of urgency at any of the relevant agencies, with the obvious exception of Miguel Del Toral, and he was silenced and discredited.”

EPA stayed silent on Flint’s tainted water

Ironically, while the RWnuts are trying to pin this on the EPA for not doing enough,

these same nuts come right out of the crowd that thinks there should be no EPA.

Nixon gave us the EPA by the way. It was a great idea at the time. But it has become this behemoth that is out of control and does nothing but feed itself. Look at this insanity in Flint.

They knew the lead levels were thru the roof but they didnt do a damn thing. Jack shit. They fucking did jack shit. Meanwhile they are trying to figure out a way to charge farmers for cow farts to stop global warming.

Oh and trying to pin this on the EPA? Are you insane? The EPA knew in February 2015 did nothing and I and others are being meanies trying to pin it on the EPA?

The EPA is a bureaucratic nightmare, my parents had to deal with them over a retention pond a few years back, pure insanity ensued, if ti wasn't so sad and frustrating it would have been comnical

Pardon my french in some of my posts but this deal in Flint gets my blood boiling. The EPA can declare milk a hazardous substance they have the time to measure cow farts BUT the scumbuckets let lead poisoning go on every day in Flint for months on end?

So you wish the EPA would be more heavy handed in dictating to the states on matters of the environment.

lol, so do I.

No. When a government agency can fuck up this badly because of politics it needs to be revamped big time. The EPA is not doing it's job at all. It's lost its sense of purpose. And the EPA needs a serious overhaul like starting yesterday.

How do they do it in your country?

lol

You are becoming tiresome with your lies. Switching to Flint River was only forced on the people of Flint by Detroit Water and Sewage throwing a hissy fit because Flint signed a long term contract with KWA.

Who cares? Sourcing the water from Flint River was not the problem. The problem was that the guy in charge decided "Well, we gots some water now, let's just use the same treatments we used before, and not even bother to ask ourselves if this is the right way to do things, because new treatment regimens would be more expensive."

Hedman and the EPA could have forced the DEQ to treat the water. She didn't. The EPA owns this debacle.

"An EPA water expert, Miguel Del Toral, identified potential problems with Flint’s drinking water in February, confirmed the suspicions in April and summarized the looming problem in a June internal memo. The state decided in October to change Flint’s drinking water source from the corrosive Flint River back to the Detroit water system.

Critics have charged Hedman with attempting to keep the memo’s information in-house and downplaying its significance.

As soon as the lack of corrosion controls became apparent, state and federal officials should have acted to protect the public, said Virginia Tech researcher Marc Edwards, whose water analysis in 2015 helped uncover Flint’s lead contamination.

“At that point, you do not just have smoke, you have a three-alarm fire and should respond immediately,” said Edwards, who, along with the American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan, has obtained dozens of key documents related to Flint’s crisis through public record requests.

“There was no sense of urgency at any of the relevant agencies, with the obvious exception of Miguel Del Toral, and he was silenced and discredited.”

Who'd have done the 'forcing' if the GOP had its way and there was no EPA?

If the gop had its way our drinking water would all come from a polluted river like you see in India.

If the gop had its way our drinking water would all come from a polluted river like you see in India.

They want the power to lie with the States, then they blame the federal government when the states fuck up.

Bullshit.

If Flint doesn't give a shit about itself, why should anyone else?

All government sucks. People suck.
If it doesn't hurt Republicans then the citizens deserve whatever the GOP dish out
Hell, you live in Michigan as well.

You know what those poor motherfuckers in Flint are doing.

You know as well as I that 75% of that emergency aid is being squandered.

Most of the folks down there would no more be bothered to buy organic than they would be to go get clean water. They just don't give a shit.

I have friends of friends with links to people with FB feeds to what is going on down there. It's insane the corruption. I was born there and went to Uni with friends with family there. It's terrible.

My son and I used to give to the water aid.

Not any more. Not once I found out what it was going to. Fuck that.

If you don't put a black marker over the UPC, you can't be sure they don't just return it for beer.

THEY DON'T CARE about the lead.

The only one's that do are the college educated soccer mom's. And let's be honest, how many of those are in Flint?

The folks that care, can afford to take care of themselves and have the resources to manage. The one that don't, just don't care. They are screwed and are going to die. They would rather just get drunk and die.

It's like a zombie apocolypse, it is really sad.

I'm sure there are some great people in that mess, but the chaos and corruption are ruining it for everyone. That is how this mess began. It's just another symptom of the decay. It is all because of government meddling in the economy. . .

If the government had just stayed out, the auto industry would have been able to compete, and Flint would have never lost it's car industry. But the government said this, the corporations said that, the Unions said fuck off, and corporations said NAFTA? The government said sure, the industry moved to Mexico, and the town was fucked.

And now the whole town drinks poisoned water because they can't afford to drink clean water. Soon they will all be rioting brain dead zombies . . . . .
I'll give you one thing. Katrina drove a lot of rats out of new Orleans. The bankruptcy in Detroit ran 700,000 out of Detroit and maybe Snyder is poisoning flint citizens to break up that failure of a city.
Snyder has been good for the State and you know it.
Good and bad for middle class and poor.

When things are good Republicans don't seem so bad but they are
If you are middle class or poor, your education, vocation and employment opportunities are now better than they have been at any time since the Reagan years.

Frankly, I hate all politicians, but the facts are SO one sided, you can't even say they are manipulated. Seriously.

I don't even like him. I don't like a lot of what he has done.

I don't like any government.

But it isn't even debatable. If you are poor, you now have more opportunity.

Still, he is an internationalist shmuck. This asshole would bring in a lot of immigrant and refugees to take away jobs.

He's for privatizing the educational sector.

As soon as the Republican President is elected, the Devos, Romney, and Walton families are going to make mincemeat of the education systems in Detroit, Grand Rapids, Flint, Jackson, Lansing. . . It will be nightmare.

And since Judge Roberts voted with the liberals mandating that tax payers HAVE to pay private corporations for services, fascism is now legal in this nation. NICE move assholes.

The liberals are going to LOVE being forced to pay private corporations to school their kids. And what if they don't? Well, they will be fined, have their kids taken away, or go to jail. Won't that be nice?

You think the Walton's are rich now? :badgrin:

Oh for crying out loud put down the bong and stop the bullshit

Nixon gave us the EPA by the way. It was a great idea at the time. But it has become this behemoth that is out of control and does nothing but feed itself. Look at this insanity in Flint.

They knew the lead levels were thru the roof but they didnt do a damn thing. Jack shit. They fucking did jack shit. Meanwhile they are trying to figure out a way to charge farmers for cow farts to stop global warming.

Oh and trying to pin this on the EPA? Are you insane? The EPA knew in February 2015 did nothing and I and others are being meanies trying to pin it on the EPA?

The EPA is a bureaucratic nightmare, my parents had to deal with them over a retention pond a few years back, pure insanity ensued, if ti wasn't so sad and frustrating it would have been comnical

Pardon my french in some of my posts but this deal in Flint gets my blood boiling. The EPA can declare milk a hazardous substance they have the time to measure cow farts BUT the scumbuckets let lead poisoning go on every day in Flint for months on end?

So you wish the EPA would be more heavy handed in dictating to the states on matters of the environment.

lol, so do I.

No. When a government agency can fuck up this badly because of politics it needs to be revamped big time. The EPA is not doing it's job at all. It's lost its sense of purpose. And the EPA needs a serious overhaul like starting yesterday.

How do they do it in your country?

lol

The left wingers up here just pay lip service to "caring" about the environment. They want farmers to get off gas and go electric with their combines whilst they are absolutely destroying Manitoba wetlands for BiPole III. Not only our wetlands but serious monarch breeding grounds.

It's a current fight I'm in. And the bloody bastards I'm fighting are seriously left wing. Up here they call them NDP. They run on environmental issues and then trash the planet.

Liars one and all.

dodgeee.jpg

When a government agency can fuck up this badly because of politics it needs to be revamped big time. The EPA is not doing it's job at all. It's lost its sense of purpose. And the EPA needs a serious overhaul like starting yesterday.

Hey maybe you can recruit the best and brightest for positions in the EPA.

Now why wouldnt the best and brightest workers flock to work for a hated government agency that one political party makes out like the EPA is headed by Satan himself, that cant get the key leadership positions filled, is continually under pressure to work for less money and with fewer people, and deliver results that people can live with in a hyper partisian atmosphere.

Yes sir, the best and brightest are lined up for those jobs. Cause really, doesnt that sound like a fun job? Ulcers arent that bad. They got medicine. Insurance.

Now go out there and recruit the best and brightest for the EPA.
Good luck.

Sourcing the water from Flint River was not the problem.

Well thats the strange thing.

Everybody KNEW that the local GM operations had pretty well fucked the Flint river UP.
GM had quit sourcing the Flint River for its manufacturing water because it was corroding their parts. That was like a year before all the rest started.

I think everybody knew the Flint River was seriously polluted with heavy metals and a lot of other chemical waste, mostly by GM.

Sourcing the water from Flint River was not the problem.

Well thats the strange thing.

Everybody KNEW that the local GM operations had pretty well fucked the Flint river UP.
GM had quit sourcing the Flint River for its manufacturing water because it was corroding their parts. That was like a year before all the rest started.

I think everybody knew the Flint River was seriously polluted with heavy metals and a lot of other chemical waste, mostly by GM.

Idiot, listen carefully:

Sourcing the water from Flint River was not the problem. The problem was that the guy in charge decided "Well, we gots some water now, let's just use the same treatments we used before, and not even bother to ask ourselves if this is the right way to do things, because new treatment regimens would be more expensive."

The reason the water is corrosive has nothing to do with pollution. It's a simple question of pH. The lake water naturally has a more alkaline pH, while the river water has a lower, slightly acidic pH. It would have been a relatively simple matter to treat the river differently, to increase the pH. Failing that, the water began slowly eroding the piping that supplies the city, eventually resulting in lead from the pipes making its way into the water. This is the reason why the city continues to have water problems several months after resuming lake water sourcing. Because the ultimate source of the toxins is in the pipes, not the water.

Forum List

Back