Gov. Rick Perry Vetoes ‘Buy American’ Bill

Nobody was forcing anybody to buy anything. It was only to give preference to goods that was the same cost and quality.

Moron.

If I have to write a couple pages of justification for buying a Samsung monitor or spend 1/2 a day trying to find an 'merikan model --- it's not worth it. Beside, in terms of CONTENT of that item --- it's useless. Maybe one American spent 4 minutes reboxing the crap and they claim American content.

It's bureaucrat bungling at it's finest.. If they want to buy American that badly, San Francisco bridges wouldn't be made in CHina..

I'll stick with the previous poster. He vetoed it because it hinders govt business and adds cost. And in a year or two, the bureaucratic RULES for implementing this "well-intentioned" patriotic salute would bring Texas purchasing to its knees. He's got a state to promote and even THO -- he's a spoon in the knife drawer -- somehow --- he's whooping Blue Ass doing it.. Tells ya something about the competence of the Blue Asses dont it?

Just adding the word "manufactured" to current legislation will bring Texas purchasing to its knees??? :eek:

Wow, that state is worse off than we all thought.

If the change was as simple as that -- it would STILL be a nebulous "feel-good" distinction..

If, in Texas, I put together a phone with boards and circuits and batteries and displays and case ALL MADE overseas --- I've added back about 4% of the total jobs required to make that device. THere was a time when almost EVERY COMPONENT in that phone would respresent an entire American COmpany -- one make capacitors, one making ICs, one making screws, one making antennas --- but those days are gone. And the word MANUFACTURED is too vague to describe the process without PAGES of clarification. And you're fighting over deck chairs on the Titantic if you spend your time on that -- rather than doing what I suggested in a post above..

Making entirely NEW industries and supply chains here in this country from stuff that the rest of the world is not yet doing. Sectors like robotics, artificial intelligience, biotech, enviroengineering, biomaterials, nanotech, ect ect.... And get YOUR KIDS into those jobs. Don't recruit from India because all our kids have been brainwashed to do is enviroengineering and getting MBAs...

Last edited:
What the hell makes any of you think this is a UNION bill? Just because a union leader comes out in support of it? So what?

This is a bill that gives preferences to goods made 1) in Texas and 2) in America as long as it is of the same quality and cost of foreign made goods. (By the way. Japan and China have unions too.)

And when only 6% of the American private workforce is unionized (most likely less in Texas) it's highly unlikely that it will hardly benefit any union members.

So the bottom line is that you morons want to shoot yourselves in the foot and continue to despise American workers.

Bottom line? You think ALL American workers suck and I think they're the best in the world, union or not.

They get pretty pissed when they have to choose between honesty and ideology. Sort of like when they were forced to vote for Romney last year even when they hated his guts....pure gold.

Key part of the article

like Texas ARL-CIO President Becky Moeller

hmmmmmmm...which is really AFL-CIO......even more interesting......

I used to be a huge buy American fan, until I found out it was just a code word for supporting unions. Fuck them, I hate, hate unions.

This is just a sham to prop up unions, they cant compete and it's their own fault, sucks to be you!!!

It's funny how liberals dont worry about China buying up all of our debt though.....naaaaaaaah, we need all those bs goverment programs.

Hey fuckface, in case you didn't notice this bill was supported UNANIMOUSLY by the GOP controlled Texas house in probably the most red state in the union.

And since you know so little about unions let me explain something to you. Organized labor only makes up about 6% of private sector employment.

I happen to think that American workers (union or not) are the best in the world.

So fuck you and your "I hate American workers" attitude.

Oh calm down.

Key part of the article

I used to be a huge buy American fan, until I found out it was just a code word for supporting unions. Fuck them, I hate, hate unions.

This is just a sham to prop up unions, they cant compete and it's their own fault, sucks to be you!!!

It's funny how liberals dont worry about China buying up all of our debt though.....naaaaaaaah, we need all those bs goverment programs.

Hey fuckface, in case you didn't notice this bill was supported UNANIMOUSLY by the GOP controlled Texas house in probably the most red state in the union.

And since you know so little about unions let me explain something to you. Organized labor only makes up about 6% of private sector employment.

I happen to think that American workers (union or not) are the best in the world.

buckeye45_73 is one of the biggest Republicorp tools on the board. No surprise there. Compete w/ $2/hr foreign labor :rofl:

I atleast criticize republicans, dot com, sucks off every dem he can find. HAs he ever disagreed with Obama?

And dot, raise that min wage to $100/hour it will really help out the workers!

This is the guy who many of the Neo-Cons on here wanted to see become POTUS.

Texas Governor Rick Perry vetoed House Bill 535, commonly referred to as the “Buy Texan, Buy American” bill, after it was approved by the Texas House unanimously.
The bill also passed the Texas Senate by a vote of 23 to 7, making Perry’s potential veto the only big stopping force for the bill not becoming law.
This is the guy who many on here consider a REAL CONSERVATIVE.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry Vetoes ?Buy American? Bill

My guess is you expect me to be outraged because I consider myself fiscally conservative. Can you explain why I should support a bill that forces the government to give preferential treatment based on geography? Is there some reason that beans grown in Texas are better than beans grown in California?

Last edited:
Key part of the article

Which only makes me more suspicious of it.

Perry was right to veto the bill, it was just another attempt to force people to buy overpriced goods so union members can continue to make excessive salaries for doing jobs you could train a monkey to do.

Nobody was forcing anybody to buy anything. It was only to give preference to goods that was the same cost and quality.

Moron.

Hey liar.

How about posting the bill and not just the title?

If you are about buying American, then you support ALL American companies.

Right?

Wal*mart is an American company.

Anti union white trash scum are the American equivalent of concentration camp Jews who worked hand in glove with Germans to speed up camp processes. They didn't ask questions and they accepted the words of their masters at face value. THOUSANDS still living get the same respect as those who had a harder time in the camps because... it was okay.

White trash nutballs are today reduced to that level by the oppressors of labor. White trash will cooperate with anyone who tells them what they want to hear in hopes it won't get worse for them personally. And among them... that is okay.

Rant and rave all you want but this isn't about unions. Nice try, though. :cool:

When you post that to the fucking moron who suggested buying American was "code" for supporting unions get back to me. Until then mind your own business.

Thanks!:eusa_angel:

Sorry Dugdale but it was, the whole schtick back in the 80s about buying American, was a union way of trying to keep business they were losing.

How Americans Can Buy American

Union Members Buy American

UnionSmart.org has evaluated best of all American and Canadian companies, which practice their Labor Laws and favor Union Employees, Each vendor listed in the UnionSmart.org database has been personally interviewed and evaluated as a Union Verified Vendor

I love how liberals are either completely stupid of just flat out lie.....

How can any fucking fuckers be against this fucking bill? You fuck face fuck pants don't fucking know how to fucking debate you retarded fucks. This fucking bill had fucking nothing to fucking do with fucking union workers and fucking Perry is a fucking GOP fucking fucktard fuck. I haven't even looked at the fucking bill and I still fucking know that fucking Perry is anti-fucking-american with a capital Fucking fuckadoodle!!!!!!!!
p.s.
Fuck you!

Last edited:
We dont know what the bill was about?

Fist some said buy American

other buy Texan?

so lets establish that first.

where is the bill?

if they added one word to a previous bill, shouldnt it be like 2 sentances max?

I havent seen the bill, but like I said, I've seen this rah rah crap before, post the bill and lets see them add just one word and it takes like 100 pages or something.

Perry was right to veto the bill, it was just another attempt to force people to buy overpriced goods so union members can continue to make excessive salaries for doing jobs you could train a monkey to do.

Moron.

Hey liar.

Right?

Hey stupid.

What does Walmart manufacture?

Moron.

Hey liar.

Right?

Hey stupid.

What does Walmart manufacture?

what does the business you own in Texas manufacture?

Moron.

If I have to write a couple pages of justification for buying a Samsung monitor or spend 1/2 a day trying to find an 'merikan model --- it's not worth it. Beside, in terms of CONTENT of that item --- it's useless. Maybe one American spent 4 minutes reboxing the crap and they claim American content.

It's bureaucrat bungling at it's finest.. If they want to buy American that badly, San Francisco bridges wouldn't be made in CHina..

I'll stick with the previous poster. He vetoed it because it hinders govt business and adds cost. And in a year or two, the bureaucratic RULES for implementing this "well-intentioned" patriotic salute would bring Texas purchasing to its knees. He's got a state to promote and even THO -- he's a spoon in the knife drawer -- somehow --- he's whooping Blue Ass doing it.. Tells ya something about the competence of the Blue Asses dont it?

Have you ever been involved in a government procurement process? I ask because the ‘bring TX to its knees’ comment is rather absurd. The reality is that the process and the preference system is already in place. The only thing that this would do is reorder those ‘preferred’ vendors. That is about it. Then you think that the purchase of a single TV would be minor but, again, we are talking governmental purchases which generally number in thousands of items not just one. Such purchases are capable of making or breaking a small company. It would be far better to have a minor manufacturer (paying taxes and the like) producing those TV’s or even a small part in that production in TX rather than China. It just makes sense. Lastly, such preference does not equate to a major price change as that preference is not a mandate. If you locate a vendor that has a better price you can justify that purchase rather than going through the preferred vendor (as long as there are no contractual problems with existing deals).

So he vetoed a bill that would 'force' people to buy certain products.

That's is conservatism. If he had signed it, it would have been tyranny
No. It would not force anyone to do anything. This was a matter of state purchases. The government should be doing EXACTLY this – giving large bias to local producers for state purchases. Hell, the consumer should do that as well BUT nothing should force him to. The state on the other hand should be forced to give American products preference when looking to make purchases.

There is this though:
Current law already requires agencies to give preferences to goods produced and grown in Texas. While I support and encourage our agencies to buy goods from Texas businesses, this bill simply does not change current law
This, if true, makes the law nothing but a publicity stunt and vetoing it would not be necessarily wrong though I can’t fathom why he would do so. If not true then he was wrong in vetoing the law.
We live in a free society where everyone is free to compete.

giving preference means people outside of TX have to cut profits to compete with people in tx b/c tx gives it's people an unfair edge.

It shouldn't be a law at all.
We also live in a free society where everyone is able to make their own purchase decisions based not only on the product but on the products manufacturing process impact on the individual/state/nation as a whole. That side of the freedom you are ignoring. What the bill embodies is that idea that purchasing something that is built by Texans is better for Texas than purchasing something built by Chinese. This is simply a reality and if government is going to forcibly take away my money than they should at least purchase items that help me and others in the state that I reside in, not Chinese.

There is no ‘unfair’ edge. That edge is perfectly fair. We ALL should make purchase decisions that are advantageous to the nation as well but we do not. Remember also that a ‘preference’ does most certainly not equal must. If there is enough to be saved going through the Chinese source, they are still going to do that BUT there is no reason that a local producer should not be given preference when it is that producer that paid the taxes making that purchase possible in the first place.

Semantics, the last bastion of a loser. Good job. You still have yet of explain how this bill would not open the state to unnecessary litigation, based on purchasing decisions. Also the legislature had the option to override the veto had they chosen to.
Litigation?

What are you referring to? There is nothing that can be ‘litigated’ in preferred purchases. It is still the government that makes the decision on who to purchase from. There is exactly ZERO chance of successful litigation in this change of the law. The fact that the bill exist already absent the ‘manufactured’ statement shows that there is no real threat there.

Forum List

Back