Got wood? The ad that has triggered lefty enviromentals.

In your opinion ... are natural forests made up of all different aged trees, and is that important ecologically? ... I'm a carpenter who just happens to own a small chainsaw ... answer me like I'm stupid please ...
"Natural" in what way?

A large swathe of the Yellowstone forest is made up of trees that are largely the same age, in the wake of the massive '88 fire.

One cannot have a relatively informed conversation, when terms like that have no linguistic flesh on their bones.

"Natural" in what way?

A large swathe of the Yellowstone forest is made up of trees that are largely the same age, in the wake of the massive '88 fire.

One cannot have a relatively informed conversation, when terms like that have no linguistic flesh on their bones.

So you're saying your tree farm is exactly like Yellowstone? ... cool, what do you grow? ...

Maybe an unfair question ... Jefferson is D. Fir as far as the eye can see now we've destroyed the Redwoods ... burns regularly ... or it's harvested regularly ... do you manage your trees differently? ...

So you're saying your tree farm is exactly like Yellowstone? ... cool, what do you grow? ...

Maybe an unfair question ... Jefferson is D. Fir as far as the eye can see now we've destroyed the Redwoods ... burns regularly ... or it's harvested regularly ... do you manage your trees differently? ...
No, not all tree farms/managed timberlands are run the same...Depends upon the species and what you're using them for.

Aspen makes great pulp for paper...Yellow and red pine make outstanding utility poles...White pine and Douglas fir are great building lumber...Red oak, ash, et.al. for firewood.

Some need to be need to be replanted, some replenish themselves after being cut down (i.e. aspen and redwoods).

It's like any other agriculture....Growing cotton is going to be different from growing sugar beets.

No, not all tree farms/managed timberlands are run the same...Depends upon the species and what you're using them for.

Aspen makes great pulp for paper...Yellow and red pine make outstanding utility poles...White pine and Douglas fir are great building lumber...Red oak, ash, et.al. for firewood.

Some need to be need to be replanted, some replenish themselves after being cut down (i.e. aspen and redwoods).

It's like any other agriculture....Growing cotton is going to be different from growing sugar beets.

I'm asking about your farm ... I guess you don't want to answer ...

I had to stop hunting in one of my state forests. The contract loggers are reducing a once beautiful forest to stumps and thickets. It's maddening and depressing beyond words.
The boring beetle did it to mine for the last twenty years but the oaks are making a comeback

The boring beetle did it to mine for the last twenty years but the oaks are making a comeback
Oak wilt and logging destroyed another great piece of hunting land for me as well. The oaks on the state land died and the logging permanently altered deer movement on adjacent private land. I also lost another great area due to chronic wasting disease in the deer population there. Yet another area suffered from a huge wildfire that turned the whole place into a moonscape.

My fishing has also gone to hell as the DNR is allowing our local lakes to become so weedy that shore fishing is impossible. They are managing the lakes for "trophy northern pike". They say the huge weed beds provide breeding areas for baitfish as well as ambush cover for the pike. You have to have a boat to get to open water.

They should go up to Canada. Great northern pike fishing even from shore.

Forum List

Back