Got a nice little fun cheap!

Crixus

Gold Member
Oct 9, 2015
BFE Texas.
Please forgive my mess. So I was at work in a company truck today when I bump into an old friend looking for extra cash for Christmas. I got to poking around through his stuff and found this old Marlin model 60. It was for sale and he wanted $250 for it. I wanted it but not for that price, so I told him to go to his pawn shop and if he wasn’t happy to come back and see me. That way I could ditch my work truck and meet him. So the pawn shop said they would give him $35.00 for it. I made the offer of $75.00 and here it is on my dirty bed. Going to give it a good scrubbing then go shoot a ton of 22 cal ammo at some Hill side some place here in east Texas.

D823E047-BDE7-4AF3-97FC-15DF50291945.jpeg

Suweet! The Marlin Model 60 is the quintessential .22 semi-auto, if you don't count the Ruger 10/22.

The only problems I"ve ever seen with the Model 60 is the buffer wearing out. That's the part inside that the bolt bounce off of. They're relatively cheap to buy but a bitch to replace. Luckily there are some good Youtube videos of how to replace the buffer, if you need to. Just do a rudimentary breakdown of the rifle and look for broken pieces of white nylon inside, behind the bolt. If there aren't any, the buffer is probably still good.

Suweet! The Marlin Model 60 is the quintessential .22 semi-auto, if you don't count the Ruger 10/22.

The only problems I"ve ever seen with the Model 60 is the buffer wearing out. That's the part inside that the bolt bounce off of. They're relatively cheap to buy but a bitch to replace. Luckily there are some good Youtube videos of how to replace the buffer, if you need to. Just do a rudimentary breakdown of the rifle and look for broken pieces of white nylon inside, behind the bolt. If there aren't any, the buffer is probably still good.

Going to do it this weekend. It looks like it has had about 50 rounds through it. Very mild pitting but this is a meat/virmin gun. For now I tossed the stupid BB gun scope and snaked the bore and ran a patch through. Took about two to get it done. This one has a bolt stop. I don’t recall any of the past model 60’s doing this. I have a 10/22 as well. It’s reliable and accurate, but it’s made for small folks. This marlin fits good. Now I can shoot rabbits and squirrels without turning them inside out.

Looking further, pulling the stock and lookin around I found allot of clean mess from when the stock was inlet. Aside from the patches I haven’t cleaned it, but honestly this gun looks like it’s been handled more then shot. The gun moves in there some though. I’m going to go shoot it this weekend and get sighted in. I can’t really see iron sights anymore so they will need to go. I have a small piece of ivory my grand pa gave me. I was saving it for a nice head on my dream shot gun, but I may use it here. I may also make a front sight out of a silver quarter. Stock will be refinished for sure. Likelihood birchwood casey and beeswax then a nice burnishing.

So I took it out shooting today. Let me tell you, this baby shoot. 14 inch group at 50 yards. Just all over the place. So I grabbed the front sight, it was loose. Some lock tight and a screw driver and it was good to go. The groups shrank to about 2”. I need to ask dude if he ever even shot this gun. It has me allot of new gun issues. Mostly with crappy ammo, but to be fair the ammo I am shooting had gotten wet in Harvy. Still, I’m happy with it.

Okay, so I cleaned it up some more and while I was at Walmart I found this little Berska rimfire scope on sale for 10 bucks off. That brought the price down to like 15 bucks. I did a ghetto accurising job described on on rimfire central an then I took the little rifle out shooting again with about 500 rounds of Remington golden. This gun will shoot. The long ass barrel really takes the swing out of free hand shooting. This gun is definitely minute of squirrel eyeball accurate out to 100 yards. I was going to order a laminate stock from Boyd’s because the buttstock is about an inch to short for me so I was going to get a longer stock. If I can dress up this one I’ll keep it and just make a thick recoil pad out of a flip flop and some old tire. All and all I’m just over a hundred bucks into this including buying ammo. Pleas excuse my mess in the backround. This is in my man cave separate from my town home and only dudes and a gay woman hang out there so we are alone. I’ll try to clean it up for you next time.

1522CA2B-92BD-435A-9DDA-8871CC42A818.jpeg

Forum List

Back