Got a letter from the water company.

I don't think I've even come close to using fifty gallons in a day.
Me neither. But one roomie is only 24. He has no clue of what NO WATER means. Thankfully the other roomie is very aware and with us in our endeavors.
Get rid of the 24 year old. Also, it might be cheaper to sell the washing machine and make everybody use the laundromat.

I don't think I've even come close to using fifty gallons in a day.
Me neither. But one roomie is only 24. He has no clue of what NO WATER means. Thankfully the other roomie is very aware and with us in our endeavors.
Get rid of the 24 year old. Also, it might be cheaper to sell the washing machine and make everybody use the laundromat.
The 24 year old pays rent ahead of time, is extremely polite and quiet and if anyone goes it will be the other roomie who spies on him when his girlfriend is here. And the girlfriend has not once ever come in the house itself. His room is the converted garage. She stays in there when over here.

I think he will go with whatever we discuss...that is how easy going he is. No way would I ever get rid of him. Ever.

I think the laundry mats are going to close down. They are on a restriction as well. We just need to put our 4 heads together and think of a plan. I am leaning of one BIG assed basket to toss our clothes in, labeled so we know whose is whose, and do one big batch of laundry once a week. Maybe twice a week.

Or..if they don't like the idea of washing clothes all together....one load per week each.

Suggestion. Instead of taking a shower, or a bath, just use some baby wipes. They're pretty cheap, if you buy them in bulk, and do a pretty decent job. You won't need as many showers then. Just hit the hot spots, and you're good to go.
The French call that a "whores bath."

Maybe I am dumb. I am just asking because I always thought desalinazation plants were cost prohibitive. I don't know...it's not my interest...but, I hate CA....just a bunch of hippie faggots.
I understand that, and I don't think you are dumb, but they were talking about building those plants back in the 80's. If they had started it back then, instead of catering to the illegals (for votes), they would have been built by now and there would be no water shortage. Now the rest of the country will pay the price with their tax dollars right along with Californians (one way or the other). Blame the Democrats, Bud.
And I remember back in the 80's people saying it was a wet dream because of the cost. That was a long time ago...I honestly don't know the advances. What would it cost...assuming we have the technological knowledge?
Don't know the cost but if they can do it in the M.E. we should be able to do it here. We're not a third world country (not yet, anyway).
Is it technologically viable and cost efficient. This isn't partisan, personal or anything else. It doesn't exist...why (no finger pointing)? I can't believe if it is that easy, there aren't plan'ts in the US now. What am I missing? What is the other side?
Which party controls California? There's your answer. It's all a matter of priority, and California liberals rely on welfare leaches for their support, so who do you think they're going to cater to? They keep pumping more and more money into welfare (mostly for illegals) and in return, the illegals will vote for them. Now, with Obama's dictatorial amnesty, California will remain controlled by commies like Jerry Brown and the desalinization plants will never be built because the parasites have sucked up all the money for the foreseeable future and there's no way they're gonna give up that gravy train.
Ok...so I guess no one can answer the question without going on a finger pointing, political rant. I will just assume that it is not really a viable option. Doesn't really matter, CA is a hole. The only shame s that when it dries up...the people won't dry up with it...they will simply move to TX and other states and turn it into a shithole.

Serious question...is desalinazation a viable option?
It most certainly is. Especially considering the alternative. Water is the one thing you can't do without.
Is it like sending man to Mars or a small investment in infrastructure/ equipment?

They've already set aside the money...money isn't the problem...

"More than 15,000 plants are churning out tens of billions of drinkable gallons daily in more than 100 countries.

But desalination has been lagging in California, where water woes are especially dire, industry and government officials say. They blame the slow progress on a disorganized local industry, litigious environmentalists and a thorny approvals process."

Californians need water but desalination projects are bogged down - latimes
That and environmentalist wackos who claim the discharge water that is quite high in salt content is bad for the widdle fishies.

Governor Moonbeam (aka Jerry Brown) just put water restrictions on Calif. residents. Big fine if you go over their limit. No exemption for homes with pools or large families. They'd rather spend taxpayer money on welfare for illegals than build desalinization plants.

Desalinization is not a word

I had an idea last night and I put it to use. I dig trenches around the bigger trees that won't fit in pots....apple, plum, lime and one tree mr gracie bought me for shade which is too big for a pot but not big enough to have DEEP roots. I found 2 garden umbrella poles behind the shed, about 2 inches wide and about 4 feet long. I dug a hole at the base of the apple tree and plum tree and inserted the pipes. Now when I water them, I just pour the water into the pipes. Instead of it spreading around the trenches I dug, the water goes straight to the roots. I just gotta find 2 more pipes. I am pleased with the idea.
I also went to the water company and they gave me, free, two low flow shower heads, 2 hose sprinkler handle thingies, 3 sink filter thingies. I also disconnected the dishwasher and dragged out an old drainer like our Ma's used to use and put it in a deep dish cookie sheet to catch the drain water after washing...which I can then pour into a jug, which will then go outside in the plants.

Spoke to one roomie already....waiting for the other to get home so i can talk to him about one shower every other day...and in between...sponge baths. If he wants more showers, then he can go to his girlfriends house and shower there cuz I ain't being punished with over use because he wants sex with his honey.

So today I did the best I could to conserve even more. I hope everyone else in town does the same.

Wish it was warmer....I would shower outside on the small section of lawn I still have. But nah. In my 20's we did that but I be too old now for such shenanigans.

We have only had a smattering of rain in southern England in the last few months, and today it is hotter than Spain. I hope this is not the start of another drought because we nearly ran out of water a couple of years ago.
I can't imagine how bad it is in California. It seems to be a desperate situation there.

I just got back from outside...moving all my plants around that are turning brown. The ones under the big tree seem happiest so that's where I moved them. I filled up the birdbath yesterday and it is bone dry today so I just filled that up too. I found a field rat crawling along the dirt (sand) and it looked half dead so I put it in the shallow end of the birdbath and it sucked up water so fast and the sounds it was making was so sad..little mousey cartooney like gulps and soft squeaks. When it was done it just laid there exhausted. So I picked it back up and took it to the fence where there is tolerant friendly ground cover and lots of shade and laid it there. It crawled a short distance and stopped, panting. I gave it some cheese and when I went back to check on it about an hour later it was gone.
I hate to see anything suffering.
The birds were patiently waiting for their seed...cuz their feeders were bone dry too, so i dumped more birdseed in and there were 2 crows, lots of wrens, a couple pair of dove and a pair of blujays that swooped down before I was even done with the seed and water.

It's bad here. Really bad. Usually in this neck of the woods, its fog. And dew. Lots of it. It's been in the 80's since January..which is unheard of. August is going to be horrible for the people here, the farms, and the animals as well.

Forum List

Back