Got a letter from the water company.

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
We are alloted 50 gallons of water per month for each person in the house (4) so that means we get 200 gallons per month. We won't use that much but still...it's kinda scarey. IF anyone goes over their allotment of water, the bill is double.

I need to start looking at oregon places to rent...where it rains all the time.

What, you are like 75 years old...how in the hell do you have 4 people in your household?

We are alloted 50 gallons of water per month for each person in the house (4) so that means we get 200 gallons per month. We won't use that much but still...it's kinda scarey. IF anyone goes over their allotment of water, the bill is double.

I need to start looking at oregon places to rent...where it rains all the time.
Having lived in Seattle for seven years, I can guarantee that you will soon be cursing the rain. Then again, ten billion slugs can't be wrong. Can they?

I've been on craigslist since I posted that. I'm gonna have to continue to have roomies to afford the rent. Or..I need to start saving like a mad woman and find a really cheap mobile home with cheap space rent...and an owner carry.

Governor Moonbeam (aka Jerry Brown) just put water restrictions on Calif. residents. Big fine if you go over their limit. No exemption for homes with pools or large families. They'd rather spend taxpayer money on welfare for illegals than build desalinization plants.

Serious question...is desalinazation a viable option?

C'mon Nutz, I know you're smarter than that. Of course it's a viable option (unless you're a stupid liberal who thinks water isn't a necessity).

C'mon Nutz, I know you're smarter than that. Of course it's a viable option (unless you're a stupid liberal who thinks water isn't a necessity).
Maybe I am dumb. I am just asking because I always thought desalinazation plants were cost prohibitive. I don't know...it's not my interest...but, I hate CA....just a bunch of hippie faggots.

Maybe I am dumb. I am just asking because I always thought desalinazation plants were cost prohibitive. I don't know...it's not my interest...but, I hate CA....just a bunch of hippie faggots.
I understand that, and I don't think you are dumb, but they were talking about building those plants back in the 80's. If they had started it back then, instead of catering to the illegals (for votes), they would have been built by now and there would be no water shortage. Now the rest of the country will pay the price with their tax dollars right along with Californians (one way or the other). Blame the Democrats, Bud.

It most certainly is. Especially considering the alternative. Water is the one thing you can't do without.
Is it like sending man to Mars or a small investment in infrastructure/ equipment?

They've already set aside the money...money isn't the problem...

"More than 15,000 plants are churning out tens of billions of drinkable gallons daily in more than 100 countries.

But desalination has been lagging in California, where water woes are especially dire, industry and government officials say. They blame the slow progress on a disorganized local industry, litigious environmentalists and a thorny approvals process."

Californians need water but desalination projects are bogged down - latimes

We are going to talk to the roomies tomorrow about the letter. Our last bill was right on the mark of what we are allowed now, so we have been doing pretty good. But we can do better. So...considering disconnecting the kitchen sink and puttin a 5 gallon bucket underneath it to catch the water and empty it as it gets full. We thought about the washing machine but decided it would be a pain in the ass to buy expensive eco friendly detergent (Oasis All Purpose Cleaner) which is horribly priced on Amazon...unless I can find a home made kind of product I can make myself that will get the clothes clean but not kill the wallets of all of us. Bucket under the sink will make us aware of how much water we are using to wash and rinse.

I also looked up lots of info about soaps and shampoos from the tub to be used in the garden do not hurt them but it is not suggested for edible plants or veggies. In our county, grey water is ok. Some counties in some states say it is illegal. Thankfully, not in mine.

So in essence, we are doing ok but we could do better. Therefore, household meeting tomorrow with all of us to discuss on how to cut back even more. And to find a safe detergent for dishes, laundry and skin.

We have a LONG coastline. I was talking to a friend that lives in Banning (Calif) and she and I wondered why the HELL there are no desalination plants being built. I mean...wtf? All that water out there....that's salty. Usually I don't care for fog, but I am missing it right now. Fog makes dew. Dew is wet. We need wet!

We are going to talk to the roomies tomorrow about the letter. Our last bill was right on the mark of what we are allowed now, so we have been doing pretty good. But we can do better. So...considering disconnecting the kitchen sink and puttin a 5 gallon bucket underneath it to catch the water and empty it as it gets full. We thought about the washing machine but decided it would be a pain in the ass to buy expensive eco friendly detergent (Oasis All Purpose Cleaner) which is horribly priced on Amazon...unless I can find a home made kind of product I can make myself that will get the clothes clean but not kill the wallets of all of us. Bucket under the sink will make us aware of how much water we are using to wash and rinse.

I also looked up lots of info about soaps and shampoos from the tub to be used in the garden do not hurt them but it is not suggested for edible plants or veggies. In our county, grey water is ok. Some counties in some states say it is illegal. Thankfully, not in mine.

So in essence, we are doing ok but we could do better. Therefore, household meeting tomorrow with all of us to discuss on how to cut back even more. And to find a safe detergent for dishes, laundry and skin.
Have you tried simple green? I believe it is a multi purpose cleaner, that's eco friendly, and reasonably priced too.

I used to have some simple green but not sure how it would do in laundry. I will google it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Interesting. And kinda sneaky.

Why aren't the ingredients listed on the label?
Simple Green is non-toxic. Therefore, the listing of ingredients on the label is not required by law. Simple Green's unique formula is protected under the US Trade Secrecy Act and has been extensively tested to verify the product's credentials. Simple Green complies with all current labeling requirements for ingredient disclosure on cleaning products. If you have an allergy, medical reason, or technical reason for wanting to know if Simple Green contains a particular item, please contact us at 800-YEL-DAWG and we will help you as best we can.

Frequently Asked Questions About Simple Green Cleaners And Degreasers

Forum List

Back