GOP Lawmakers Want To Make Gun Silencers Cheaper, Easier To Buy

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
562a42fc1900002d00b94b80.jpeg

They say it's about protecting people's hearing.

House Republicans on Thursday introduced a bill that would eliminate a federal tax on gun silencers and would weaken licensing requirements that currently make the devices more difficult to buy than most firearms.

The Hearing Protection Act of 2015, proposed by Rep. Matt Salmon (R-Ariz.) and co-sponsored by 10 of his colleagues, would do this by removing silencers, which are also called suppressors, from the purview of the National Firearms Act, instead putting them in the same regulatory category as long guns. As its title suggests, the bill's sponsors are framing it as an effort to keep shooters from damaging their ears.

More: GOP Lawmakers Want To Make Gun Silencers Cheaper, Easier To Buy

Great news! Why should decent folks have their quiet enjoyment ruined by noisy bank robbers, gangbangers, or neighbors killing each other. One can always depend on GOP lawmakers to protect us. We may die from global warming or various forms of environmental pollution - but we'll be able to hear. Thank you, GOP.

I've heard a lot of disingenuous titles for bills, but that one takes the top prize.

I can't recall ever seeing anyone using a silencer at the range.

Or hunting.

I bought one for my husband. He'll never hear it. lol

Why does anyone need a silencer? Not only do they throw off your aim, but there is no value to having one if you're a hunter or interested in defending your home.

Only reason I can see is to make it easier for the crazy and disturbed to shoot up more places so they can say that we need fewer gun laws so we can defend ourselves.

Great, getting rid of a law that only affects the law abiding. Criminals that really want noise suppressors will buy them on the black market or have someone local make them for them it's not that hard. Noise suppressors aren't normally used in crime because they are bulky and make the gun harder to conceal, the same reason a concealed carry holder would not use them on the firearms they carry. But they would be great for practice sessions if you fire a lot of rounds.

Edit: The only problem I see with them is they alter the way your gun handles and you need to train like you would need to fight.

Last edited:
I used to receive an industrial supply catalog that always had a lot of lawnmower mufflers that appeared easily adaptable to a gun barrel.

I can't recall ever seeing anyone using a silencer at the range.

Or hunting.
Teddy Roosevelt was a big fan I've heard. It is safer on hearing too. And if you have any experience whatsoever with real firearms. And real "silencers"; you already know that they don't create some whisper quiet killing machine. Bias against "silencers" is founded in pure ignorance.

What is it that the radical left finds offensive in the bill? Is it about the freaking $200? Possession of a federally approved silencer would still require a ton of federally approved paperwork and more extensive background check than is currently required for the purchase of a firearm. So what is the problem? Is it about a couple of hundred dollars? If lefties don't trust federal background checks it seems that they don't trust the federal government any more than the Tea Party does.

Why does anyone need a silencer? Not only do they throw off your aim, but there is no value to having one if you're a hunter or interested in defending your home.

Only reason I can see is to make it easier for the crazy and disturbed to shoot up more places so they can say that we need fewer gun laws so we can defend ourselves.
How is having more silencers in the public's hand going to make it easier for psychos to shoot up places? They still make noise and will be harder to conceal. I do not particularly want one either, but that is not the point. The point is how much are you going to allow the government to take from us? Every time they ban, regulate or restrict an item or service they are taking away our freedom.

If the government wipes your dirty ass then there would be no reason that anyone needs to own toilet paper. You may want the government up your ass, but I do not.

I am all in for legalizing all weapons and appurtenances, including full auto. Fuck the government. The ONLY way to keep it in check is to have an armed citizenry. The government's natural inclination is to grow and exercise more and more control over business and people. Are you really going to trust government to do the right thing and respect the individual?!? It sure as hell does not work that way elsewhere in the world.

Forum List

Back