GOP House Majority Whip Steve Scalise Spoke At White Supremacist Conference

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
r-SCALISE-huge.jpg

Twelve years before he was elected by his colleagues as House majority whip, Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.) spoke at a conference hosted by the white supremacist group European-American Unity and Rights Organization.

Louisiana political blogger Lamar White Jr. dug up a number of posts on Stormfront, one of the original white supremacist websites, that place Scalise at the 2002 EURO gathering. According to one user who attended the conference, Scalise -- then a state representative -- spoke to the organization at a workshop "to teach the most effective and up-to-date methods of civil rights and heritage related activism."

Two years after speaking at the conference, Scalise was one of just six state representatives who voted to oppose making Martin Luther King Jr. Day a state holiday in Louisiana. That was at least the second time Scalise had voted against an MLK holiday. He was one of three lawmakers to vote against it in 1999, too.

Founded in 2000 by former Ku Klux Klan Grand Wizard David Duke (who served as a Louisiana state representative from 1989 to 1992), EURO seeks to fight for "white civil rights." The group is recognized as a white nationalist hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

More: House Majority Whip Steve Scalise Spoke At White Supremacist Conference In 2002

Well, shucks, this won't look good on his resume - except in red states.

Oh, this is destined to be big.

Majority Whip Steve Scalise Struggles To Distance Himself From David Duke

House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.), whose office has been beating back criticism Monday about a speech he gave at a 2002 gathering hosted by a white supremacist group, just received some ill-timed praise from the group's founder. The notorious former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke described Scalise as "a fine family man" with whom he often agrees despite his support for Israel.

For his part, Scalise's office has said he was unaware of the white supremacist group's views when as a state lawmaker, he spoke at the 2002 conference. But in 1999, then-state Rep. Scalise told a Washington newspaper that he agreed with many of Duke's "conservative" views.

Duke told The Huffington Post that he doesn't remember speaking with Scalise before the conference. But it would have been nothing out of the ordinary for a Louisiana Republican at the time, he claimed.

"I literally defeated the Republican sitting governor of that state," said Duke, referring to the 1991 race in which he forced a runoff against Democratic candidate Edwin Edwards. "I had a huge amount of Republican support."
<more>

There will be zero political repercussions from these revelations. I wonder how long it will be before this group is invited to CPAC?

There will be zero political repercussions from these revelations. I wonder how long it will be before this group is invited to CPAC?

I agree! He's now passed his initiation into the GOP circus tent.
White supremacist organizations are the only far right groups the GOP has not courted for votes and grassroots organizing, it's only a matter of time.

Well Dems elected a card carrying member of the Klan and lionized him when he died. Scalise only spoke to a group once 12 years ago.
It's a big fauxrage.

Since Scalise represents a red NaziCon state - he will probably be praised for his white supremacist views.
Scalise's district includes St. Tammany Parish which is where David Duke resides. It is heavily republican and white.

Yep. To RWs, this is considered "family values". He'll probably be a keynote speaker.

Well Dems elected a card carrying member of the Klan and lionized him when he died. Scalise only spoke to a group once 12 years ago.
It's a big fauxrage.
I am wondering why you have no problem with this? I can accept if someone by their prolonged actions rises above a foolish past, this guy is just going to issue some press release and all will be hunky-dory with you.

Forum List

Back