GOP Counteroffer

On all taxpayers equally or just the ones you envy? If we're going to demonize the right for being vague, you'd better come loaded for bear. Specifically who and how are you going to access this fair share on? What makes it a fair share? The richest 1% in the US already pay the bulk of taxes, so how much more is fair?

The richest 1% control 40% of our nations wealth. So yes, it is "fair" that they contribute the most to our taxes.

If they are willing to "trickle down" some of that wealth, their tax burden would not be as high

It's their wealth. Why do you feel entitled to it? I've posted this before and liberals never answer it. If my wife only puts out once a month and your wife puts out daily, shouldn't I get to have sex with your wife at least once a week? Shouldn't you be giving your "fair share"? I mean why should you get all the sex when there are other people horny out there? Or bedrooms. If you live in a house with 3 bedrooms and you only use 1 while your neighbor has 8 kids in a 2 bedroom house, shouldn't you give your "fair share" and give up at least 1 of your bedrooms to your neighbor? How about cars? You need to start transporting the neighbor's kids too.

Do the right thing. Give your fair share. Oh BTW, I get to decide what that fair share is and who gets it. You simply have more than you need and I know better than you how to allocate it to those who don't have enough.

Yes, just as much as our society is entitled to my own wealth. As a member of a functioning society, I accumulate more wealth than I would as an individual

Nobody survives in our society entirely as an individual. You do better as part of a whole than you do as a bunch of individuals struggling to survive

Why does someone who earns $30,000 digging a ditch pay taxes at a higher rate than someone who earned $30,000 by moving money from one place to another?

Because they already paid taxes on the money they used to make the investment
they are never taxed on their principle, they also have the ability to write off losses against their tax liability. if i get a pay cut at work can i deduct the difference from my tax liability?

apparently you dont understand what the term capitals gains refers to.

even Reagan believed that capital gains should be treated as normal income.

Why does someone who earns $30,000 digging a ditch pay taxes at a higher rate than someone who earned $30,000 by moving money from one place to another?

They are paying taxes on the capital gain from that investment not their principle

Haw many times do you feel you need to tax the same dollars?

What are you trying to accomplish?

they are never taxed on their principle, they also have the ability to write off losses against their tax liability. if i get a pay cut at work can i deduct the difference from my tax liability?

Huh? When? Reagan?

Huh? When? Reagan?
here you go:

For most of the history of income taxes in America, long-term capital gains — defined at different times as investments held for minimum periods of as little as six months and as long as 10 years — have been taxed at substantially lower rates than top ordinary income tax rates.
There was, in fact, only one time that capital gains were taxed at the same rates that were paid by people who earned their money by working. That was during the years 1988 to 1990, as a result of the Tax Reform Act of 1986 — a law championed by President Ronald Reagan.

FLASHBACK: Reagan Raised Capital Gains Taxes To The Same Level As Wage Taxes For First Time | ThinkProgress

The top tax rate was lowered from 50% to 28% while the bottom rate was raised from 11% to 15%. Many lower level tax brackets were consolidated, and the upper income level of the bottom rate (married filing jointly) was increased from $5,720/year to $29,750/year. This package ultimately consolidated tax brackets from fifteen levels of income to four levels of income.[3] This would be the only time in the history of the U.S. income tax (which dates back to the passage of the Revenue Act of 1862) that the top rate was reduced and the bottom rate increased concomitantly. In addition, capital gains faced the same tax rate as ordinary income. Some sources claim the loopholes and tax expenditures after lobbying, but others argue the rise in corporate taxes offset any benefit.[4][5]
Tax Reform Act of 1986 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Low Capital Gains Taxes May Not Help the Economy - Businessweek

Reagan also raised taxes on the poor. oh wait, did i say Reagan raised taxes on the poor? that cant be!!

They are paying taxes on the capital gain from that investment not their principle

We tax dollars every time they move from one place to another

My employer has already paid taxes on the money he pays me. Why should I have to pay further taxes on it?

the same dollar is never taxed twice to the same person. the same dollar however is taxed every time it changes hands.

do youself a favor and look up the term capitals gains, it might be helpful to this conversation.

Apparently, Progressives want to make it difficult for people to accumulate wealth.

The richest 1% control 40% of our nations wealth. So yes, it is "fair" that they contribute the most to our taxes.

If they are willing to "trickle down" some of that wealth, their tax burden would not be as high

It's their wealth. Why do you feel entitled to it? I've posted this before and liberals never answer it. If my wife only puts out once a month and your wife puts out daily, shouldn't I get to have sex with your wife at least once a week? Shouldn't you be giving your "fair share"? I mean why should you get all the sex when there are other people horny out there? Or bedrooms. If you live in a house with 3 bedrooms and you only use 1 while your neighbor has 8 kids in a 2 bedroom house, shouldn't you give your "fair share" and give up at least 1 of your bedrooms to your neighbor? How about cars? You need to start transporting the neighbor's kids too.

Do the right thing. Give your fair share. Oh BTW, I get to decide what that fair share is and who gets it. You simply have more than you need and I know better than you how to allocate it to those who don't have enough.

Yes, just as much as our society is entitled to my own wealth. As a member of a functioning society, I accumulate more wealth than I would as an individual

Nobody survives in our society entirely as an individual. You do better as part of a whole than you do as a bunch of individuals struggling to survive

What's your point? That being a member of "society" obligates me to give up my property? Then what about the members of "society" that contribute absolutely nothing? They're magically entitled to a piece of my property? What kinda twisted thinking is that?

That's fucking stupid, really.

the same dollar is never taxed twice to the same person. the same dollar however is taxed every time it changes hands.

do youself a favor and look up the term capitals gains, it might be helpful to this conversation.

Are you this stupid in real life?

I earn an income, I get taxed, I take my after tax dollar and buy an asset, I get taxed on those earning and then I get taxed again when I sell the asset

Moron

Apparently, Progressives want to make it difficult for people to accumulate wealth.

No, they want to make it difficult for everybody but themselves to accumulate wealth. They're like insolent children who get pissy when the kid down the street gets a better bike for Christmas.

What's your point? That being a member of "society" obligates me to give up my property? Then what about the members of "society" that contribute absolutely nothing? They're magically entitled to a piece of my property? What kinda twisted thinking is that?

It's the philosophy of the "You didn't build that!" crowd

They are not the "same" dollars..they are "new" dollars. And those "new" dollars aren't a result of "magical" growth. And infrastructure has been built using tax dollars to help those who want to invest accumulate more wealth.

They're quite inexplicable.

Are you this stupid in real life?

I earn an income, I get taxed, I take my after tax dollar and buy an asset, I get taxed on those earning and then I get taxed again when I sell the asset

Moron
when you sell an asset you as the seller are only taxed if the asset appreciates. so if you sell it you are not taxed on your principle. the buyer is the one who pays the actual tax. think of it this way. you buy a car and pay sales tax on it. when you sell it the new buyer pays the sales on it, not you as the seller. same principle with a house, when you purchase a house you pay taxes on it, when you sell that house you dont pay taxes on it unless the property appreciates and you do not purchase another piece of real estate as your principle residence. otherwise the amount the property appreciates is considered capital gains and you owe taxes based on the appreciated amount.

do youself a favor and educate yourself on what youre talking about. youre looking extremely foolish and incompetent here.

Yes it does
It has worked that way for thousands of years.

Can you point to where any of your property has been taken and given to someone else? Those who do not have any property are not expected to give any up.....Its the tax law of you can't get blood from a turnip

there are things the private enterprise relies on to be successful that they didnt build. its not that difficult of a concept. this includes road, bridges, railways, airports and ports. business either directly or indirectly all rely on these things to do business. none of which they build.

Last edited:
Here it is.

House GOP makes a $2.2 trillion debt counteroffer to Obama on cliff - The Hill

House Republican leaders have made a counteroffer to President Obama in the fiscal cliff negotiations, proposing to cut $2.2 trillion with a combination of spending cuts, entitlement reforms and $800 billion in new tax revenue.

The leaders delivered the offer to the White House on Monday with a three-page letter signed by Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.), and four other senior Republicans, including Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), the party’s just-defeated vice presidential nominee.

Republican officials said the offer was based on a proposal outlined by Erskine Bowles, the former chief of staff to President Clinton, in testimony last year before the congressional “supercommittee” on deficit reduction. That offer is distinct from the widely-cited Simpson-Bowles deficit plan released two years ago.

The GOP offer is a response to Obama’s opening bid, which called for $1.6 trillion in tax increases and reducing the power of Congress to block an increase in the debt ceiling.

“What we are putting forward is a credible plan that deserves serious consideration by the White House,” Boehner told reporters in a brief appearance at the Capitol. He said he hoped the administration would respond in a timely manner.............

Credible? Did you see how many times The Hill used the phrase "did not specify"? The GOP essentially sent the White House a blank piece of paper and called it a proposal.

Define "fair share".

And what does that have to do with what I posted? Wait, I know. You're assuming that because I'm not drooling all the over the Republican proposal that I must be a liberal who just wants to punish the rich. Pretty big assumption there, spanky.

I don't like the Republican proposal because it's a piece of shit that they weren't even serious about when they wrote it. The proposal was written just to stifle their constituents and stall while they wait for Obama to hopefully break on taxes.

Forum List

Back