Google Thinks I'm An Alt-Righter

You don't seem to understand why that is, which surprises me because you are the subject of much ridicule.

Liberalism IS ridiculous....

It's hard to avoid making fun of it. Libturds do it accidentally all the time.

I've noticed lately that if I search for an insulting meme for a particularly obnoxious poster, what pops up is insults against liberals, or women, or whatever. It's not my wording--I've tried changing that around and it doesn't matter.

My question is, why does Google think that? Is it solely because I hang out at USMB or does it actually see all the nasty memes and links that are in the posts here that I read? That doesn't really make sense, but how else would it think that?
Clear your browsing data...........
I have no idea what that is or how to do that.
Which browser are you using? Chrome? Firefox? Internet Explorer?
Chrome
It's really simple.
Upper right corner (with Chrome open) click on the three vertical dots.
Hover on 'More Tools'
Click on 'Clear Browsing Data'

Watch the video.

`
Make your own meme. I do it without any online help, but then again, I have photoshop. I do it all the time. Find a blank of your choosing (or make one) like this;
`
1283879384863.jpg

`
`
Then add your own words. It doesn't have to be fancy butI get carried away sometimes and make it more, how can I say; ornate.
`
221q.jpg

I've noticed lately that if I search for an insulting meme for a particularly obnoxious poster, what pops up is insults against liberals, or women, or whatever. It's not my wording--I've tried changing that around and it doesn't matter.

My question is, why does Google think that? Is it solely because I hang out at USMB or does it actually see all the nasty memes and links that are in the posts here that I read? That doesn't really make sense, but how else would it think that?

Maybe well named knows. He posted a computer-ish OP yesterday that I believe was somewhat down this road.

I don't know for certain, but I don't believe that your search results are targeted at you based on your browsing history. Advertising is, but it's also usually a lot dumber than you think (I used to work in Ad tech), and won't impact your image search results. But I would guess that this explanation is roughly correct (regardless of whether or not it's driven by troll farms):

Google is adjusting for the preponderance of searches, not just yours. I'd say it means that the Russian troll farms are working overtime in the run-up to the election.

I think it just means that the PageRank for a right-wing memes is generally higher, at least for whatever terms you are searching on. That may be inflated by intentional manipulation, it may also in large part just reflect the fact that there are a lot of people on the internet sharing right-wing memes, or perhaps that insulting memes are slightly more common on the right, or that certain topics get more attention on the right than on the left.

The last part makes sense to me, especially in relation to feminism or attacks on women. My wife and I did a content analysis on the use of memes in the men's rights subreddit a couple years ago, and the second largest category of memes were anti-feminist (first was "men as victims..."), and "anti" basically means insulting towards :p

Oh! Hoisted on the own petard of not her doing!

I'm sorry OldLady. :11_2_1043:

Yeah, I'll leave it there because..well..you know what's coming into my mind next. :04:

Google algorithms have been skewed left since 2011.

Yeah, I'll leave it there because..well..you know what's coming into my mind next. :04:

Marion, I am telling you, and Crepitus is telling you, and well named just told you, that Google algorithms, at least for insult memes, are skewed right. I don't know about news. I still seem to get reliable sources when I google current events.

It's not clear to me that the algorithms are skewed right in any particularly problematic way. It seems more likely that the population of memes being sampled by the algorithm is just right-leaning, and the algorithm represents that reasonably accurately. But it would take a lot more data and better methods to really draw any strong conclusions either way. That's why I said I was just making an (educated?) guess.

The thread I started yesterday (which you mentioned above) was all about the idea that the biases are already there, and machine learning datasets are simply capturing it, rather than that algorithms are creating it from nothing.

Marion, I am telling you, and Crepitus is telling you, and well named just told you, that Google algorithms, at least for insult memes, are skewed right. I don't know about news. I still seem to get reliable sources when I google current events.

Don't worry, Aunt Flo is right around the corner. :coffee:

Link to OldLady meme?

It's not clear to me that the algorithms are skewed right in any particularly problematic way. It seems more likely that the population of memes being sampled by the algorithm is just right-leaning, and the algorithm represents that reasonably accurately. But it would take a lot more data and better methods to really draw any strong conclusions either way. That's why I said I was just making an (educated?) guess.

The thread I started yesterday (which you mentioned above) was all about the idea that the biases are already there, and machine learning datasets are simply capturing it, rather than that algorithms are creating it from nothing.
I can't speak computer. I know where the "On" button is; that's about it. So don't expect anything I say on this subject to be accurate, or for me to understand any of the nuances of what you say about it.

Don't worry, Aunt Flo is right around the corner. :coffee:

Link to OldLady meme?
Marion,
shut.up.

Big Brother is watching

GoogleOrwellbigbrother.png

Crazy idea here... But if ones aim is to insult a poster... Why not simply refute their claims with facts; rather than try to find some cardboard cutout to do your talking for you...?

Crazy idea here... But if ones aim is to insult a poster... Why not simply refute their claims with facts; rather than try to find some cardboard cutout to do your talking for you...?
What a novel idea. I never thought of that.
Thanks, Vastator.

I can't speak computer. I know where the "On" button is; that's about it. So don't expect anything I say on this subject to be accurate, or for me to understand any of the nuances of what you say about it.

:D

Think of the algorithm in this case as being like a news anchor reporting the nightly news. Say you notice that all of the news is negative. It's hard to tell from just that observation whether all the reported news is negative because the anchor is personally biased against reporting positive news, or if the anchor is just accurately reporting the news, which happens to all be negative. In order to distinguish between those two explanations you have to independently have some idea what the universe of news-worthy events looks like. If you know that in reality there were lots of positive events that anchor could have reported, then you can reasonably suspect some bias. But if you know there weren't any, then the problem isn't the anchor.

The problem here is that it's hard to get an accurate idea of the distribution of memes between right-wing and left-wing in order to evaluate the "news anchor" Google.

It's not just Google.
If you are running Windows 10, use Facebook, Twitter or anyother...Windows telemetry works hand in hand with all of them to record everything you do, every photo that you see (yes that includes everything here) and everything you type.
Sooo if you type "right wing" or "Republican" a lot.... you are going to get results that reflect that.

Yeah, I don't get it. Facebook thinks I"m a moderate, go figure.

Forum List

Back