What is the internet? 13 key questions answered

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
images

We sit here at our keyboards surfing the web and don’t think about what we’re really doing. I got into this in the 80s and remember connecting through Electronic Bulletin Boards. It was amazing to be able to exchange comments with people in foreign lands.

Now we do it every day as if we’re talking to the person next to us.

What is the internet?

The internet is the wider network that allows computer networks around the world run by companies, governments, universities and other organisations to talk to one another. The result is a mass of cables, computers, data centres, routers, servers, repeaters, satellites and wifi towers that allows digital information to travel around the world.

It is that infrastructure that lets you order the weekly shop, share your life on Facebook, stream Outcast on Netflix, email your aunt in Wollongong and search the web for the world’s tiniest cat.

I won’t list all 13 questions as you can check them out
@ What is the internet? 13 key questions answered

Creating the first quantum internet @ Creating the first quantum internet

1540499747118.jpg

Google has inserted itself at the hub and needs to be plucked out like malignant cancer.

Should never have been allowed to happen. There should always be a way around, but there isn't.

From what I read (I don't really know to be a fact, so don't scold me. Lol) that the internet we use on daily only counts for 1/4th of what really is known as the "surface" web. Meaning, we have 6 levels of the internet. There is the "surface" web. And then, there is the dark web. Then the darknet. And I think the last one is known as the Mariannas web. (I know I am missing 3 more.)

I remember arpanet. Ha.
LOL. Me too, but more traumatic is that I remember AOL!

I still have my original AOL email address. lol.

I know a guy who used to work for Google, and they still seek his input for certain things they do. He's an old ARPANET guy. From its true beginnings. He worked at the very first site there where they were working on it. I'll not say who it is, but he's still very active in the social media world. And a political activist as well.

I always know when Youtube and Google are going to censor and exactly what they're gonna censor, how they're gonna do it, etc. And other such shenanigans. I've talked to him about it even before it happened, whenever it was being discussed. And I've disagreed with him about that, but you know that old phrase about you have to give a little to get a little? He's a leftist, but he's a friend none the less. As I sit here responding to your post I'm chuckling about it.

That last round of youtube video deletions where humans were actually doing it, remember that, it was just recently?

Anyway, yeah. I think I still have a AOL disc in a drawer some place.

Remember AIM? do they still have that? My AIM wall is probably the same way I left it 20 years ago if it's still around. Gosh.

Last edited:
I remember arpanet. Ha.
LOL. Me too, but more traumatic is that I remember AOL!

I still have my original AOL email address. lol.

I know a guy who used to work for Google, and they still seek his input for certain things they do. He's an old ARPANET guy. From its true beginnings. He worked at the very first site there where they were working on it. I'll not say who it is, but he's still very active in the social media world. And a political activist as well.

I always know when Youtube and Google are going to censor and exactly what they're gonna censor, how they're gonna do it, etc. And other such shenanigans. I've talked to him about it even before it happened, whenever it was being discussed. And I've disagreed with him about that, but you know that old phrase about you have to give a little to get a little? He's a leftist, but he's a friend none the less. As I sit here responding to your post I'm chuckling about it.

That last round of youtube video deletions where humans were actually doing it, remember that, it was just recently?

Anyway, yeah. I think I still have a AOL disc in a drawer some place.

Remember AIM? do they still have that? My AIM wall is probably the same way I left it 20 years ago if it's still around. Gosh.
I do remember AIM. Hell, I remember the prototype of all multichat programs, PowWow. lol

Forum List

Back