Who uses VPN's? Do you think it's worth getting one? Why?

Windparadox

Gold Member
May 3, 2017
Northern WI.
`
I've tried TOR (still have it) and using proxies but a VPN beats them all. Have been using them for years. Aside from from privacy, I look for strong point to point encryption. I use them on my PC. I like being able to get past blocks that governments throw up. I'm not a gamer as I much as I am one for transferring data via torrents.

`
I've tried TOR (still have it) and using proxies but a VPN beats them all. Have been using them for years. Aside from from privacy, I look for strong point to point encryption. I use them on my PC. I like being able to get past blocks that governments throw up. I'm not a gamer as I much as I am one for transferring data via torrents.
I’ve used pay VPN’s to circumvent blackouts for the Nationals when I had MLB TV and didn’t realize it wouldn’t let me watch the only team I cared about. Opera has a built in VPN feature you can turn on for free. Not sure how effective that is but paid VPN’s are excellent and not very expensive. It might slow the internet down for you though. I haven’t found any use for them other than when trying to watch something or install something that isn’t meant for your region. If I were pirating torrents or some kind of dark web hacker, I would exclusivey use VPN’s.

Tor is so slow I find it unusable, but coupled with a VPN you’re good to go. Anonymous put up a manual about how to be completely invisible on the net. It might be outdated now though.

Last edited:
I use protonmail. They make a great vpn, too, I use it sometimes. Well, just good, not great.So, proton vpn.ProtonVPN: Secure and Free VPN service for protecting your privacy
`
Free proton would not work for me, I'd need the "plus" ($8 a month) Personal wise, I don't do email anymore. Interesting though.

I do the 4 dollar a month one because I just have two devices. But I pay the 48 dollars yearly instead of the 4 dollars monthly.

I’ve used pay VPN’s to circumvent blackouts for the Nationals when I had MLB TV amd didn’t realize itnwouldn’t let me watch the only team I cared about. Opera has a built in VPN feature you can turn on for free. Not sure how effective that is but paid VPN’s are excellent and not very expensive. It might slow the internet down for you though. I haven’t found any use for them other than when trying to watch something or install something that isn’t meant for your region. If I were pirating torrents or some kind of dark web havker, I would exclusivey use VPN’s.Tor is so slow I find it unusable, but coupled with a VPN you’re good to go. Anonymous put up a manual about how to be completely invisible on the net. It might be outdated now though.

`
I host two "deep" deep web not "dark net" sites. (see below) The major thing is that deep web sites are not indexed by any search engines. You have to know exactly where it is. A 15 character, mixed alpha-numeric URL is common. Many are much longer. And even if you get there, it's password protected. By invite only.
`
`
surface-web-deep-web-1.jpg

Last edited:
[QUOTE="BlackFlag, post: 21139510, member: 48630"]I’ve used pay VPN’s to circumvent blackouts for the Nationals when I had MLB TV amd didn’t realize itnwouldn’t let me watch the only team I cared about. Opera has a built in VPN feature you can turn on for free. Not sure how effective that is but paid VPN’s are excellent and not very expensive. It might slow the internet down for you though. I haven’t found any use for them other than when trying to watch something or install something that isn’t meant for your region. If I were pirating torrents or some kind of dark web havker, I would exclusivey use VPN’s.Tor is so slow I find it unusable, but coupled with a VPN you’re good to go. Anonymous put up a manual about how to be completely invisible on the net. It might be outdated now though.
`
I host two "deep" deep web not "dark net" sites. (see below) The major thing is that deep web sites are not indexed by any search engines. You have to know exactly where it is. A 15 character, mixed alpha-numeric URL is common. Many are much longer. And even if you get there, it's password protected. By invite only.
Interesting. I used to do a lot of torrenting and joined private torrenting communities and that got me interested in this stuff so I looked up and leanred a bit, but I’ve never been anywhere I could call the “dark web.”

I use it when streaming is blocked to the US due to contractual restraints, as an example some programming on the BBC .

Interesting. I used to do a lot of torrenting and joined private torrenting communities and that got me interested in this stuff so I looked up and leanred a bit, but I’ve never been anywhere I could call the “dark web.”
`
You need a TOR browser to access the dark web. The Onion router. It's very slow and unpredictable but you have absolute privacy. I wouldn't do business with anyone there.

I don't remember the name of it, but I use to use a VPN browser years ago before NFL Sunday ticket that I use to watch any NFL game I wanted by appearing to be in Europe. It is interesting that Europeans can watch American Football with more freedom and availability than we can here.
Also before VUDU, Prime and other streaming movie sites I use to torrent movies all the time, often getting screen copies of brand new in full 1080p within 24 hours of opening night in theaters. I used a VPN to mask my location as well, and the software I used would break up the stream into many little streams that would hide the files I was downloading from my ISP as well. All of it was Linux based.

I don't remember the name of it, but I use to use a VPN browser years ago before NFL Sunday ticket that I use to watch any NFL game I wanted by appearing to be in Europe. It is interesting that Europeans can watch American Football with more freedom and availability than we can here.Also before VUDU, Prime and other streaming movie sites I use to torrent movies all the time, often getting screen copies of brand new in full 1080p within 24 hours of opening night in theaters. I used a VPN to mask my location as well, and the software I used would break up the stream into many little streams that would hide the files I was downloading from my ISP as well. All of it was Linux based.
`
Was it free?

I don't remember the name of it, but I use to use a VPN browser years ago before NFL Sunday ticket that I use to watch any NFL game I wanted by appearing to be in Europe. It is interesting that Europeans can watch American Football with more freedom and availability than we can here.Also before VUDU, Prime and other streaming movie sites I use to torrent movies all the time, often getting screen copies of brand new in full 1080p within 24 hours of opening night in theaters. I used a VPN to mask my location as well, and the software I used would break up the stream into many little streams that would hide the files I was downloading from my ISP as well. All of it was Linux based.
`
Was it free?

yes...but I would not recommend using free VPN today. This was years ago.
Too many nefarious players out there today. Better to go with a reputable pay source.

yes...but I would not recommend using free VPN today. This was years ago.Too many nefarious players out there today. Better to go with a reputable pay source.
`
I pay for my service; it doesn't record anything, P2P 256 encryption, hundreds of severs world wide, kill switch.....it works for me.

Forum List

Back