Goodbye to All That: Reflections of a GOP Operative Who Left the Cult

I see the deflection attempt is going strong.

I can't help wondering if any of the deflectors read the article word-for-word (as I did). And did anybody notice that he had not much of anything good to say about Democrats or Obama, either - but no. Can't go attacking the GOP. They'd rather die right here on the spot than fucking own their own.
Deflection?

PFFFFFFFT!

The piece of shit piece in the OP starts with...

Moral relativism...moves on to....

Ad hominem and demagoguery...moves on to...

Surmise and hyperbole....moves on to...

Gross cognitive deletions, distortions and generalizations...moves on to...

Hegelian dialectic and non sequitur....moves on to...

Hearsay...moves on to...

"Stupid electorate"...moves on to...

Blame Limbaugh and Fox News...moves on to...

Fuck it...Don't give a shit about what that wanker has to say anymore.

Last edited:
Disenfranchisement of American Citizens as a policy. GOP, enemy of Democracy.

Goodbye to All That: Reflections of a GOP Operative Who Left the Cult | Truthout

Ever since Republicans captured the majority in a number of state legislatures last November, they have systematically attempted to make it more difficult to vote: by onerous voter ID requirements (in Wisconsin, Republicans have legislated photo IDs while simultaneously shutting Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) offices in Democratic constituencies while at the same time lengthening the hours of operation of DMV offices in GOP constituencies); by narrowing registration periods; and by residency requirements that may disenfranchise university students.

Pandering to the worst in the bigoted among us. New standard of lunacy in the GOP.

Goodbye to All That: Reflections of a GOP Operative Who Left the Cult | Truthout

It is not clear to me how many GOP officeholders believe this reactionary and paranoid claptrap. I would bet that most do not. But they cynically feed the worst instincts of their fearful and angry low-information political base with a nod and a wink. During the disgraceful circus of the "birther" issue, Republican politicians subtly stoked the fires of paranoia by being suggestively equivocal - "I take the president at his word" - while never unambiguously slapping down the myth. John Huntsman was the first major GOP figure forthrightly to refute the birther calumny - albeit after release of the birth certificate.

Boy, does this fellow understand the majority of fools on this board.

While Democrats temporized, or even dismissed the fears of the white working class as racist or nativist, Republicans went to work. To be sure, the business wing of the Republican Party consists of the most energetic outsourcers, wage cutters and hirers of sub-minimum wage immigrant labor to be found anywhere on the globe. But the faux-populist wing of the party, knowing the mental compartmentalization that occurs in most low-information voters, played on the fears of that same white working class to focus their anger on scapegoats that do no damage to corporations' bottom lines: instead of raising the minimum wage, let's build a wall on the Southern border (then hire a defense contractor to incompetently manage it). Instead of predatory bankers, it's evil Muslims. Or evil gays. Or evil abortionists.

Ever since Republicans captured the majority in a number of state legislatures last November, they have systematically attempted to make it more difficult to vote:

by onerous voter ID requirements
nonsense. it is simplicity itself to get the proper ID to vote, as has been proven in multiple threads on the topic

(in Wisconsin, Republicans have legislated photo IDs while simultaneously shutting Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) offices in Democratic constituencies
again, nonsense. As has also been shown in repeated threads on this site, WI has INCREASED access to DMV locations, not decreased it.

while at the same time lengthening the hours of operation of DMV offices in GOP constituencies);
See response above. Unless you have a list of districts where this took place, and proof they are 'democratic or Republican', you're full of shit.

by narrowing registration periods; and by residency requirements that may disenfranchise university students.
All nonsense and completely untrue. It's been shown in multiple threads that college students can EASILY vote via absentee ballot, and the vast majority do so as a matter of course.

My responses to your utter nonsense in BLUE above.

President Obama and all Democrats up for re-election in 2012 need to memorize this article, and quote it verbetum. Including the critisism of the cowardice of the Democratic Party and the President that keep them from going head on with the present lunancy in the GOP.

Ever since Republicans captured the majority in a number of state legislatures last November, they have systematically attempted to make it more difficult to vote:

nonsense. it is simplicity itself to get the proper ID to vote, as has been proven in multiple threads on the topic

(in Wisconsin, Republicans have legislated photo IDs while simultaneously shutting Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) offices in Democratic constituencies
again, nonsense. As has also been shown in repeated threads on this site, WI has INCREASED access to DMV locations, not decreased it.

while at the same time lengthening the hours of operation of DMV offices in GOP constituencies);
See response above. Unless you have a list of districts where this took place, and proof they are 'democratic or Republican', you're full of shit.

by narrowing registration periods; and by residency requirements that may disenfranchise university students.
All nonsense and completely untrue. It's been shown in multiple threads that college students can EASILY vote via absentee ballot, and the vast majority do so as a matter of course.

Wisconsin: Walker Shuts Down DMV Offices in Democratic Areas After Passing Voter ID Law | FDL News Desk

WI Governor Scott Walker to cut DMV centers in Democratic districts « progressivetoo

DMV: No center will be shut down, four new to open | Defend Wisconsin

The Journal Sentinel reports that the Division of Motor Vehicles reversed course Thursday and announced it will maintain all of its licensing centers and will open four new locations across the state. Under previous proposal, the department planned to shut down 16 locations, most of them in typically Democratic areas.

DMV Operations Manager Patrick Fernan said pressure from the Legislature and citizens to keep the DMV accessible led to the decision not to close any branches. “It became clear that there was a strong desire to maintain service in all current locations,” Fernan said.

Well, Conservative, you are obviously a good Republican. You didn't tell a lie. After a big fuss, Scott decided not to close the DMV's in the Democratic districts. You just implied a lie.

Once again this demostrates the only way that we can maintain this as a Democratic nation is the meet the GOP head on. They are the enemy of all in this nation that are not wealthy. This is no longer the party of Eisenhower, it is the party of the Kochs.

Last edited:

1. The GOP cares solely and exclusively about its rich contributors. The party has built a whole catechism on the protection and further enrichment of America's plutocracy. Their caterwauling about deficit and debt is so much eyewash to con the public. Whatever else President Obama has accomplished (and many of his purported accomplishments are highly suspect), his $4-trillion deficit reduction package did perform the useful service of smoking out Republican hypocrisy. The GOP refused, because it could not abide so much as a one-tenth of one percent increase on the tax rates of the Walton family or the Koch brothers, much less a repeal of the carried interest rule that permits billionaire hedge fund managers to pay income tax at a lower effective rate than cops or nurses. Republicans finally settled on a deal that had far less deficit reduction - and even less spending reduction! - than Obama's offer, because of their iron resolution to protect at all costs our society's overclass.

It's all unsubstantiated horseshit. If this guy was actually registered as a Republican, he was a mole. He's spouting all the classic leftwing sound bites like a pro.

Last edited:
President Obama and all Democrats up for re-election in 2012 need to memorize this article, and quote it verbetum. Including the critisism of the cowardice of the Democratic Party and the President that keep them from going head on with the present lunancy in the GOP.

I hope all Democrats run their campaigns on it. Self delusion is the first step on the road to electoral defeat.

This caught my attention.

<excerpt from article>
Thus, the modern GOP; it hardly seems conceivable that a Republican could have written the following:

"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are H. L. Hunt (you possibly know his background), a few other Texas oil millionaires and an occasional politician or business man from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid." (That was President Eisenhower, writing to his brother Edgar in 1954.)

This caught my attention.

<excerpt from article>
Thus, the modern GOP; it hardly seems conceivable that a Republican could have written the following:

"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are H. L. Hunt (you possibly know his background), a few other Texas oil millionaires and an occasional politician or business man from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid." (That was President Eisenhower, writing to his brother Edgar in 1954.)

Shockingly much has changed in the last 60 years. The bankruptcy of the welfare state being one of them.

where did I deflect?
Remember, anything less than instant, fawning acceptance and adulation is deflection.
Choosing this thread to talk about my sigline is deflection.
It's not like the OP is really worth talking about.

I used to be a liberal, but I grew up and got over it. If I started a thread about it, would you chastise people for deflection?

Hint: No, you wouldn't.
What else can I teach you today?
The chords to Justin Bieber's "Never Let You Go", Muzak Boi.

Remember, anything less than instant, fawning acceptance and adulation is deflection.

I used to be a liberal, but I grew up and got over it. If I started a thread about it, would you chastise people for deflection?

good point. I was a liberal once also. then I started thinking for myself.

He's been a Republican staffer for the last 28 years.

Being a Republican staffer does not make him a Republican. Can you not conceive that? He was doing a job and nothing more. Every fibre of his being is a liberal democrat.

:cuckoo:
Well, this is interesting.

Michael Lofgren - $1,126 in Political Contributions for 2004

In '04, he donated $1,126 to America Coming Together.

What is America Coming Together?
America Coming Together (ACT) was a liberal, political action, 527 group dedicated to get-out-the-vote activities. ACT did not specifically endorse any political party, but mostly worked on behalf of Democratic candidates. It was the largest 527 group in 2004 and was planning to be involved in future races. The group was primarily funded by Peter Lewis, George Soros, and labor unions, especially the Service Employees International Union, and was led by Steve Rosenthal, a former political director of the AFL-CIO.​
Also, he worked for the Senate Budget Committee from '06 to '10. You know, the Senate which was under Democrat control from '07 to present.

So what makes this guy a GOP operative?

You've been played, Synthia. But you should be used to that. Sucker! :lol:

good point. I was a liberal once also. then I started thinking for myself.

LOL. Thanks for the chuckle.

Check the stats: Conservatives are far FAR more likely to give to charities and GIVE more to charities than liberals. The organization around the world that give the most to poor people are conservative religion based organizations!

Not sure what you quoted and your response have to do with each other.

That liberals, are not more likely then conservatives, to help out a homeless guy.

Republican policies made that guy homeless in the first place.

It's all unsubstantiated horseshit. If this guy was actually registered as a Republican, he was a mole. He's spouting all the classic leftwing sound bites like a pro.

I posted the substantiation, asshole. Sorry if you cannot face the reality of the 'Conservative' attempt to destroy democracy in this nation.

Being a Republican staffer does not make him a Republican. Can you not conceive that? He was doing a job and nothing more. Every fibre of his being is a liberal democrat.

:cuckoo:
Well, this is interesting.

Michael Lofgren - $1,126 in Political Contributions for 2004

In '04, he donated $1,126 to America Coming Together.

What is America Coming Together?
America Coming Together (ACT) was a liberal, political action, 527 group dedicated to get-out-the-vote activities. ACT did not specifically endorse any political party, but mostly worked on behalf of Democratic candidates. It was the largest 527 group in 2004 and was planning to be involved in future races. The group was primarily funded by Peter Lewis, George Soros, and labor unions, especially the Service Employees International Union, and was led by Steve Rosenthal, a former political director of the AFL-CIO.​
Also, he worked for the Senate Budget Committee from '06 to '10. You know, the Senate which was under Democrat control from '07 to present.

So what makes this guy a GOP operative?

You've been played, Synthia. But you should be used to that. Sucker! :lol:

Michael S. Lofgren (Mike) - Congressional Staffer Salary Data

A budget analyst. No wonder he has split with the present GOP.

Political Animal - Mike Lofgren leaves &#8216;the cult&#8217;

28 years working as an aid to Republicans. Seems that he is in a position to make a definitive statement about the present GOP.

Forum List

Back