Good vs. Evil

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
Good vs. Evil.

Mans Inhumanity to Man.

What, in YOUR opinion, do you think causes one person to be "good" and the other "evil"?

Please don't cite studies or links to what not, just your "gut feeling" to why people do the things they do, be it good or bad.

personally I think some folks are just born bad, bad seeds etc., ipso I think some folks are born enlightened.....overall, I think a persons environment and models mentors etc. generally crafts their goodness or badness, but in the end, it IS personal choice to be either one, or the other.

Most learn to be bad. Just as most learn to be good.

However Satan and his Angels are amongst us and are evil because of choice long ago. They work to corrupt everyone. That is true evil.

Good vs. Evil.

Mans Inhumanity to Man.

What, in YOUR opinion, do you think causes one person to be "good" and the other "evil"?

Please don't cite studies or links to what not, just your "gut feeling" to why people do the things they do, be it good or bad.

Good vs. Evil.

What a good question....chuckle.

To an extent, you have no control whatsoever over your life. Life is something that happens to you. Whether the influences to your decisions are external (parents, peers, media sources, etc) or internal (genetics, brain chemistry, etc), you have no control over those influences.

One can go crazy thinking about this shit.

To an extent, you have no control whatsoever over your life. Life is something that happens to you. Whether the influences to your decisions are external (parents, peers, media sources, etc) or internal (genetics, brain chemistry, etc), you have no control over those influences.

To an extent? Evil just sucks people up out of their control. BS +10 on the attitude scale.

Good vs. Evil.

Mans Inhumanity to Man.

What is "good?" Is the definition being in accordance with a set of values? Does everybody have the same values?

One current popular activity is posting videos of children hurting themselves falling down, running their bicycles, skateboard, roller blades, what have you into walls, off of buildings, smashing each other with chairs, tables, and ladders, and they are put in the category of "entertainment." "Bad" under my set of values, "good" for those who feel they have a right to be entertained this way.

Another popular activity is watching action films, with people fighting each other, shooting each other, killing, injuring, and even children are victims of such scripted crimes. All in the name of entertainment. Obviously the mainstream values for this is also "good."

Aren't we always doing these things? In the past there were lynchings, witch trials, all manner of horrid executions, and civilian massacres and ethnic cleansing, and today water-boarding, invading sovereign countries, financing war machines to help military forces enslave civilian populations.

We do all these things chanting "USA! USA!" singing the national anthem, waving the flag, ad nauseum.

There are a very few who are "good," according to the values I choose, and yes, I have fallen short many times in hate, anger, bias, what have you. One of these days I hope to rise above all that. Until then, I can only do the best I can. That is what I am responsible for; my actions, and no one else's.

Environment, upbringing within the home, experience, genetics (i.e. mental illness for those prone to violence that had good environment, upbringing, experience), choice, religious persuasion.

Last edited:
Good vs. Evil.

Mans Inhumanity to Man.

Choice, to me it is that simple....

You know whether your choice is good or bad....

Hi Echo Zulu! There is none really good! I suppose some of us try to be as descent as we can; while some could care less about being anything but evil.

Good vs. Evil.

Mans Inhumanity to Man.

I don't think there's any SINGLE answer to that question since there are so many different ways to BE evil and good.

The Judeo-Christians encapsulated it rather well with the concept of original sin.

The Buddhists inform us that wanting is the cause of all suffering.

They're both right, I think.

They're both essantially saying the same thing.

We live in a material world but we have spiritual aspirations.

This conflict between our ideals and our needs (AKA the head v heart) is inescapable.

There are excellent arguments (and increasingly there is scientifc evidence) to support the theory that FREE WILL is a delusion.

Practically speaking, even if that is proven to be true, we have to pretend that it is not.

WE cannot create in a functional society where people are NEVER HELD responsible for their actions.

I can not define good but I know it when I get and erection and I can not define evil but I know it when my sphincter tightens up.

Good vs. Evil.

Mans Inhumanity to Man.

Because they can.

Forum List

Back