Good or not so good?

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
Today, while I was waiting for the bank lady to call me in, I was looking in a magazine. I saw a 'suggestion' for using Campbell Sirloin Burger soup over instant mashed potatoes for a meal in 4.5 minutes. I used to eat that soup when I worked and had pulled a pack of garlic mashed potatoes out of the cabinet this morning. So, I picked up a can of that soup to try it. Good or not so good?

I also bought some green beans and squash from the farmer down the way. But those will likely be for tomorrow.

Yeah, that sounds like something I'd eat.

I'm not familiar with that burger soup, but I'd be tempted to thicken it a little.

It was decent. Idahoan Garlic potatoes flavorful. The soup was plenty thick out of the can an heated up. I have a bit left over. Will have for lunch tomorrow.

I just don't think of 'cooking with soup' kinds of dishes. But I keep instant potatoes so I don't have to buy the real thing unless I'm craving. I have to keep them in the fridge so they will last longer, but they still rot before I use them.

Last edited:
It may sound strange to some, and a little weird, but I love to eat Campbell's Mushroom Soup right out of the can - cold. Just open it up, grab a spoon and go for it. It's something I learned to do back in my old bachelor days.

It may sound strange to some, and a little weird, but I love to eat Campbell's Mushroom Soup right out of the can - cold. Just open it up, grab a spoon and go for it. It's something I learned to do back in my old bachelor days.

Before I became something, I did cake decorating for a wedding caterer. She served Swedish meatballs. And the 'sauce' was heated up Campbell's Golden Mushroom Soup. People raved about it. One day a woman came in and wanted some for a small get together she was having. The owner had to hide what she was doing when she opened the cans. It was a hoot! So when I make/take an appetizer it is often those meatballs in that soup. I use a little cardamom in them to give a fresh taste. Don't have a particular recipe just some ground beef, sausage, a little of this and a little of that. The soup makes the dish.

Lol.

I was starving when I read it.

I have made instant mashed potatoes and topped them with canned gravy.

Add about a pound of butter, anything works if you're hungry.

Lol.

You're right. Although. I do not like sirloin burger soup. I think vegetable beef soup would be better.

With that said. I am tired do not feel like turning on an oven so I will have a cheese sandwich with mustard and sweet pickles and lettuce, with a side of chips.

Like you said anything works when you are hungry

Lol.

You're right. Although. I do not like sirloin burger soup. I think vegetable beef soup would be better.

With that said. I am tired do not feel like turning on an oven so I will have a cheese sandwich with mustard and sweet pickles and lettuce, with a side of chips.

Like you said anything works when you are hungry

Sometimes I just have chips and salsa. If the avocados are good at the grocery I'll have one of those as well. I do a little cooking, but it's just simple country stuff.

I'm making pickles. Yes I am.

I got the urge to make preserves the other day. Not sure I will, though. It would make nice gifts, but I don't eat a lot of stuff like that these days. I so want the diabetes to go away. My doctor said he thought it was just due to the stress of the pulmonary hypertension and when the disease was controlled and I lost a few pounds it would go away. It is, I did, it didn't. Yet. But I'm still working on it. Lost 10 pounds since retirement.

The sodium content approx 800 mg. alone turns me off. For days that run late I still make eggs and thrown in fresh broccoli or saute onions and have a nice meal with some fresh grapes or strawberries on the side

I'm making pickles. Yes I am.

I got the urge to make preserves the other day. Not sure I will, though. It would make nice gifts, but I don't eat a lot of stuff like that these days. I so want the diabetes to go away. My doctor said he thought it was just due to the stress of the pulmonary hypertension and when the disease was controlled and I lost a few pounds it would go away. It is, I did, it didn't. Yet. But I'm still working on it. Lost 10 pounds since retirement.

That's impressive!

I've never canned before the last year or so. My grandma did...cherries, and beets, and plums, and grape jelly, and green beans...and I don't know what else from her big garden. My mom only did jam (and not every year)...and she did tomatoes and peaches a couple of years. She was scared of pressure cookers and when she grew up, it was only her dad who canned...they made sausages and canned those.

I started canning rather late in the season last year, and then didn't do any all winter...but I've been going steady since spring. I've done...beans, chicken, potatoes, carrots, green beans, applesauce, peaches, peach jam, strawberry jam, orange marmalade...I think that's it. Oh, and the pickles. I'm going to do some more carrots, some more potatoes, and hopefully some more green beans. And now we have berries coming..blackberry, huckle berry, and salal...I'm going to make jams of those too, as well as blackberry wine.

I was going to do dandelion wine, but I still haven't started it.

I have a family to feed, though. My son has a full house and when they come (and they come often) they always leave with something. Tomorrow they're taking pickles and peach jam home with them.

I felt like we really needed to move away from processed and fast food. I felt guilty every month because of the money we spent at MCDONALD'S...and guilty about the fact that I know it satisfies exactly zero of my kids' nutritional needs. But it's cheap and it's fast...so I decided to can things I can fix quickly at home. Hence the beans and chicken. Oh and I canned some pulled pork, too..which turned out really good. I feel better, and even though I've only been doing this for about 2 months, we've already saved money and cut our fast food habit probably by 5/6.

Today, while I was waiting for the bank lady to call me in, I was looking in a magazine. I saw a 'suggestion' for using Campbell Sirloin Burger soup over instant mashed potatoes for a meal in 4.5 minutes. I used to eat that soup when I worked and had pulled a pack of garlic mashed potatoes out of the cabinet this morning. So, I picked up a can of that soup to try it. Good or not so good?

I also bought some green beans and squash from the farmer down the way. But those will likely be for tomorrow.

That dish looks like vomit.

I haven't eaten soup out of a can since I was a kid and didn't know any better.

Forum List

Back