Good news for veterans?

I am 62 years old and have some health issues. I have not see a Dr. in close to 3 years with the exception of a trip to the Emergency Room. All I have seen is Nurse Practioners. I have mixed feelings re: the use of these very capable professionals. Problem is that they seem to be very mobile and never stay very long with a Physician. My guess is that they are chasing financial compensation. I am a Vet but I do not go to the VA.

I have been using the VA medical system about 4 years.

My primary "doctor" is actually some kind of a specialized nurse. She can prescribe drugs and diagnose medical problems just like a regular doctor. ...... :cool:

I have been using the VA medical system about 4 years.

My primary "doctor" is actually some kind of a specialized nurse. She can prescribe drugs and diagnose medical problems just like a regular doctor. ...... :cool:
They also use their diagnostic programs for prognosis and what to prescribe..I had a Filipino doc and he was typing with one hand on his computer faster than I could with both.....His favorite saying was, how come you eat so much fat? I told him why, I'm an American......My high cholesterol levels are more due to inheritance than what I eat..

I miss having a one on one relationship with a Medical Professional I have got a history with. Not someone who is I an sure very intelligent typing away into a handheld computer waiting for the answer from the interweb. And know this individual will not be there the next time I go...

I can go anywhere I want, with Medicare and tricare for life. I prefer to workout, play racquetball and stay the hell away from doctors. Although I'm in the middle of cataract surgery and am very satisfied.

I suppose I will never see those days of yesteryear when I knew my Doctors on a personal level. I have been fortunate to have had some really good primary care physicians in my life. One in Hawaii and one here in Indiana. My Doctor here in Indiana seen what Obamacare was going to do to his practice and sold his practice. That is when my issues started when I had to find a new Doc. Met the fellow who's name is on the shingle outside the door once or twice. He would not know my name to save his life. My old Doc and I use to socialize together. We weren't best friends but hell we had known each other for 20+ years. I try to avoid the medical profession as much as possible...

Moonglow ,Sunni Man ,deltex1 , Any VA Patients

After 30 years of going to the VA I recently signed up with MyHealthVet, greatest thing since canned beer. You can register with VA by personally seeing the HealthVet Director at your VA Hospital or Health Care Center. You'll sign a disclosure form and get a Handbook. Then sign up for a MHV online account, call the Director's office back and they will authenticate a BASIC account. When you sign in to MHV your online info shows you have a (B) account. Then to upgrade to an ADVANCED account you must call the VA Help Desk and the representative there will ask a few questions and tell you that you now have an ADVANCED (A) account. Those two accounts will register you with My HealthVet, your VA hospital and the VA. Lastly you need to go back to the HealthVet Director and the clerk will give you your final upgrade to a PREMIUM (P) account. You are finished at this time. When you sign in to MHV you can do anything online than you can do in person and it is faster and they have to answer any questions or respond to any request because you now have records of your transactions. You can make, change or cancel appointments, order refills, order hearing aid batteries and accessories and batteries for any device. You can download and share your records with civilian doctors such things as lab test results, medical history and medications. The VA Help Desk number is:1-877-327-0022. If you have any questions I can answer, please PM me.
This is the best improvement I have seen in personal care in VA since they stopped floggings.

After 30 years of going to the VA I recently signed up with MyHealthVet, greatest thing since canned beer. You can register with VA by personally seeing the HealthVet Director at your VA Hospital or Health Care Center. You'll sign a disclosure form and get a Handbook. Then sign up for a MHV online account, call the Director's office back and they will authenticate a BASIC account. When you sign in to MHV your online info shows you have a (B) account. Then to upgrade to an ADVANCED account you must call the VA Help Desk and the representative there will ask a few questions and tell you that you now have an ADVANCED (A) account. Those two accounts will register you with My HealthVet, your VA hospital and the VA. Lastly you need to go back to the HealthVet Director and the clerk will give you your final upgrade to a PREMIUM (P) account. You are finished at this time. When you sign in to MHV you can do anything online than you can do in person and it is faster and they have to answer any questions or respond to any request because you now have records of your transactions. You can make, change or cancel appointments, order refills, order hearing aid batteries and accessories and batteries for any device. You can download and share your records with civilian doctors such things as lab test results, medical history and medications. The VA Help Desk number is:1-877-327-0022. If you have any questions I can answer, please PM me.
This is the best improvement I have seen in personal care in VA since they stopped floggings.
I forgot the form:

My HealtheVet

Thanks, I already have it when they began the program...

Thanks Hoss :thup:

My dissatisfaction with my medical professionals as of know I may just check into this. I have always said I would never go to the VA because of a bad experience I was involved in 20 years ago with an Uncle of mine in the VA hospital in St Louis. Maybe I need to open my mind up a little...

Thanks Hoss :thup:

My dissatisfaction with my medical professionals as of know I may just check into this. I have always said I would never go to the VA because of a bad experience I was involved in 20 years ago with an Uncle of mine in the VA hospital in St Louis. Maybe I need to open my mind up a little...
The VA has greatly improved in the past few years but I get almost postal when I can't get anyone on the phone and they don't answer your messages or they call back when you're not home and they leave a message. With MHV they don't dare ignore you.

Forum List

Back