Golden calf proves OWS did not read Bible

Back to history class with you. :)
Don't think so. :)

Yea, I can already see you were pretty unwilling to be there the first time around.

"And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerve in the brain of Jupiter. But may we hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with this artificial scaffolding" ~Thomas Jefferson~ Letter to John Adams, April 11, 1823

Not sure why this matters...?

Last I checked the Bible was neither the basis for our system of laws and is not our Constitution.

Well... that's another matter, isn't it? I have been most concerned that Conservatives are worshiping the Constitution in an Idolatrous manner. While the Constitution is an important document... it is certainly not the word of God.

This world would be a lot better if the words of men where held by the majority as above those of "God."

But then again, you guys would lose your reason for unfounded hatred and bigotry.

Last I checked the Bible was neither the basis for our system of laws and is not our Constitution.

Well... that's another matter, isn't it? I have been most concerned that Conservatives are worshiping the Constitution in an Idolatrous manner. While the Constitution is an important document... it is certainly not the word of God.

This world would be a lot better if the words of men where held by the majority as above those of "God."

But then again, you guys would lose your reason for unfounded hatred and bigotry.

Really? On this, I must disagree. I hate no one...not people of color, not people of different faiths, not people who are down on their luck, not even people who "take advantage of the system", nor do I hate people who have abortions, or gays. I do not hate the rich or the poor.

I am a liberal... I am a liberal because that's the way my faith leads me. If that's not good enough for you... I guess that's too bad.

Really? On this, I must disagree. I hate no one...not people of color, not people of different faiths, not people who are down on their luck, not even people who "take advantage of the system", nor do I hate people who have abortions, or gays. I do not hate the rich or the poor.

I am a liberal... I am a liberal because that's the way my faith leads me. If that's not good enough for you... I guess that's too bad.

You are in the minority.

My first statement still stands though.

You are in the minority.

My first statement still stands though.

Maybe I am in the minority because of a Scripture that I remind myself of when my faith is challenged...Matthew 7:13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

It's much easier to sit back, feel righteous about yourself and judge others than it is to try to understand and love.

Yes, wanting the law to be obeyed is "worshipping" it. It's idolatrous not to just wave your hand airily at the Constitution and say, "Oh, that old thing. Not very relevant, and kinda in the way of what we want to do." :cuckoo:

Reading comprehension fail. He's not calling Jefferson a communist.

Your sarcasm detector, not my reading comprehension, is what's failed here.

That said, I'm not a Communist either. And the T is still a historical ignoramus.

There is ZERO point ZERO a Communist (an avowed one I might add) can teach ME of the Constitution and Liberty.:eusa_hand:

Please. Thomas Jefferson was a flaming liberal, even a radical, but hardly a Communist. There were no Communists in those days.

Dragon mistakenly thought it was being clever. Dragon is often mistaken like that.

Yes, wanting the law to be obeyed is "worshipping" it. It's idolatrous not to just wave your hand airily at the Constitution and say, "Oh, that old thing. Not very relevant, and kinda in the way of what we want to do." :cuckoo:

Who said that? Oh... that's right... You did. No one is saying that the Constitution isn't valid... Most of us ARE saying that it's not a document to be held in reverence equal to the Bible. Times Change, people change, circumstances change... most of us Progressives don't think that the Constitution means that it's time to party like it's 1899.

In the words of Thomas Jefferson:
I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and constitutions, but laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors.
Quotations on the Jefferson Memorial « Thomas Jefferson

The Constitution of the United States over 200 years old, the oldest working constitution in the world. It is not strictly followed today, but you know what? It's not a tragedy. We're doing quite well in our modern society. If we tried to follow the words of those who lived in the eighteenth century to the point, we would fall behind in the modern world.

I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and constitutions, but laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors.

The Constitution of the United States over 200 years old, the oldest working constitution in the world. It is not strictly followed today, but you know what? It's not a tragedy. We're doing quite well in our modern society. If we tried to follow the words of those who lived in the eighteenth century to the point, we would fall behind in the modern world.

Speaking of idolatrous worship, how about the Messianic reverence so many people attach to Thomas Jefferson, as though "Jefferson said it, ergo that's all there is to it." Jefferson had nothing to do with the Constitution; he wasn't even in the country when it was written. Why am I supposed to care about his personal opinion on the subject?

"We're doing quite well" without bothering to obey the laws, are we? Well, since your infinite wisdom has decided that laws are really only suggestions which don't really need to be adhered to, please send me your name and address. I'd like to take out an insurance policy on you, rob your house, and then kill you for the money. It's not a tragedy if we don't follow laws when they get old, and hey, do you KNOW how old those freaking murder and burglary laws are? Soooo outdated.

Why don't you tell me, oh wise Jefferson worshipper, which "eighteenth century words" you think are going to make us "fall behind in the modern world"? For that matter, why don't you tell us what the definition of "fall behind in the modern world" IS, in the humble opinion of one who has set himself up as much wiser than our Founding Fathers (here's a tip: being born later doesn't make you any smarter)? And by the way, who died and put you in charge of deciding these things?

Speaking of idolatrous worship, how about the Messianic reverence so many people attach to Thomas Jefferson, as though "Jefferson said it, ergo that's all there is to it." Jefferson had nothing to do with the Constitution; he wasn't even in the country when it was written. Why am I supposed to care about his personal opinion on the subject?

"We're doing quite well" without bothering to obey the laws, are we? Well, since your infinite wisdom has decided that laws are really only suggestions which don't really need to be adhered to, please send me your name and address. I'd like to take out an insurance policy on you, rob your house, and then kill you for the money. It's not a tragedy if we don't follow laws when they get old, and hey, do you KNOW how old those freaking murder and burglary laws are? Soooo outdated.

Why don't you tell me, oh wise Jefferson worshipper, which "eighteenth century words" you think are going to make us "fall behind in the modern world"? For that matter, why don't you tell us what the definition of "fall behind in the modern world" IS, in the humble opinion of one who has set himself up as much wiser than our Founding Fathers (here's a tip: being born later doesn't make you any smarter)? And by the way, who died and put you in charge of deciding these things?
Jefferson was responsible for the DOI...

There is ZERO point ZERO a Communist (an avowed one I might add) can teach ME of the Constitution and Liberty.:eusa_hand:

Please. Thomas Jefferson was a flaming liberal, even a radical, but hardly a Communist. There were no Communists in those days.
Correct, I wasn't. I however was outing a member of these boards.

Here is a revelation for you? *I* am a FLAMING OLD SCHOOL LIBERAL in the mold of the Founders...

That make the pucker factor for you intense?

*It should*

Jefferson was responsible for the DOI...

Jefferson wrote the draft for the Declaration, which was then edited and modified by the other Founders. And it was a lovely draft, and he was a very smart man. Doesn't make him the sole Founder of the United States of America, or the sole authority on and arbiter of this nation and its origins and meanings. And I care no more about what he said concerning the Constitution than I do what anyone else of that era who had nothing to do with its writing had to say.

Oh...bullshit. Idolators are people who worship idols... It matters not who makes them.

i·dol·a·ter or i·dol·a·tor (-dl-tr)
n.
1. One who worships idols.
2. One who blindly or excessively admires or adores another.

Yes... I have read the bible... furthermore, I apparently can Comprehend it too.

You really are dense, idolators make idols. They make idols out of money, sports figures, buildings, even the environment. I know hundreds of people that accuse people like Boehner of idolatry, and none of them have ever felt the slightest urge to make an idol. The reason for that is actually pretty simple, they know that making an idol makes them an idolator.

This group, by making an idol, proved they are idolators.

Ummm... you're wrong. Idolators are not people who "physically" make idols. Idolators are people who worship idols. Idols can be anything.... It doesn't even have to be "made" into an idol. It could be being obsessive about a sports team, or rock band. It could be obsessively watching too much TV. Obsessing and worshiping money is idolatry.

The people that sent Boehner the golden calf were acting sarcastically. I mean, do you really think that they sent him that for him to worship? Do you really think that they worship that golden calf? gimme a break dude... you are lost. Pick up the bible and read Jesus' words instead of playing stupid semantics games. You might learn something.

You are simply wrong. Idolators are people who idolize something, by doing so they make that object into an idol. Period.

You want to believe that OWS was being sarcastic, I prefer to point out that only idolators make idols. Maybe OWS's idol is sarcasm, but it is still an idol, which makes them wrong.

Why don't you cite Jesus saying anything about stupid semantics games, I would love to know which version of the Bible contains them.

Forum List

Back