Golden calf proves OWS did not read Bible

Why are the people that died before Jesus a problem? (Just an FYI, Christ is not a name, using it as such is a mistake people who do not read the Bible often make.) You should actually take some time to read Romans, it actually explains how people who have never heard about Jesus still know about him.

I did not ask what church you attended, I which "Church" taught the beliefs you have. Given that you admit your group left the UCC over some of their decisions, presumably their stance on gay marriage and ordination of gays, since that is the only thing I am aware of they have done that has caused anyone to leave them, I find myself confused. Why would a liberal leave a liberal church over gay rights issues?

Maybe you are even more confused than I thought.

Ahhh.... perhaps I am not as liberal as you think. Perhaps as an American Citizen, I support Gay rights and the right to have them have legally binding relationships. But that doesn't mean I think the church I belong to should endorse it.

BTW... the Christ thing? is petty and unsurprising.

Also... there were other things... like the recognition of the term Goddess and a few others that helped us make the decision.. it wasn't gay rights alone.

But sorry I don't fit into your mold of what a Christian should be. I guess we'll find out eventually whether I made the cut.... because unless some kind of epiphany happens, I'm not changing.

Perhaps you are not as honest as you think.

It does not matter if you fit into whatever you think my mold of what a Christian should be. (Please note I never said anything remotely like what you just accused me of.) What I am pointing out is that what you are arguing is not supported by the Bible, yet you want to argue from the Bible as your authority. That makes you confused, or a liar.

The Christ thing is not petty, is is fundamental. Using Christ as a name is is silly as using Caesar as one.

So... what did I just accuse you of? BTW... did you know who I mean? Thought so... therefore... petty.

You know.. you started this thread with your complete lack of understanding of what an Idolator is... yet, you've done nothing but be a Conservative Christian hack throughout.

I'll tell you what sunshine... why don't you show me a few passages that talk about Corporatism and the obvious worship of the wealthy that Conservatives live and breathe?

Ahhh.... perhaps I am not as liberal as you think. Perhaps as an American Citizen, I support Gay rights and the right to have them have legally binding relationships. But that doesn't mean I think the church I belong to should endorse it.

BTW... the Christ thing? is petty and unsurprising.

Also... there were other things... like the recognition of the term Goddess and a few others that helped us make the decision.. it wasn't gay rights alone.

But sorry I don't fit into your mold of what a Christian should be. I guess we'll find out eventually whether I made the cut.... because unless some kind of epiphany happens, I'm not changing.

Perhaps you are not as honest as you think.

It does not matter if you fit into whatever you think my mold of what a Christian should be. (Please note I never said anything remotely like what you just accused me of.) What I am pointing out is that what you are arguing is not supported by the Bible, yet you want to argue from the Bible as your authority. That makes you confused, or a liar.

The Christ thing is not petty, is is fundamental. Using Christ as a name is is silly as using Caesar as one.

So... what did I just accuse you of? BTW... did you know who I mean? Thought so... therefore... petty.

I assume I know, doesn't make me right.

whatever... semantics is all you're about. Never mind the real message of Yeshua(I mean, if we are going to get petty, let's get petty).

You know.. you started this thread with your complete lack of understanding of what an Idolator is... yet, you've done nothing but be a Conservative Christian hack throughout.

I'll tell you what sunshine... why don't you show me a few passages that talk about Corporatism and the obvious worship of the wealthy that Conservatives live and breathe?

I started this thread because someone was attemting to clothe themselves in self righteousness using the Bible. You attacked that assuming that I was making a point specifically about them being idolators. That was not my point, but it does not change the fact that making an idol and presenting it to another person does not make that person an idolator, so I addressed your point. You completely failed to actually argue that the people who made the faux golden calf were not idolators, you simply tried to argue that only people who worship idols are idolators without proving the occupy crowd are not actually worshiping idols.

You then attempted to wrap Jesus around your political beliefs, while I consistently argued that Jesus is apolitical. He clearly stated when asked that his kingdom has nothing to do with this world, yet you want to insist that he would take sides in a political debate, and that you are on the side he would take. Now you are challenging me to actually contradict myself and argue that the Bible actually supports a contrary political view to yours. I refuse to do so because it would violate my moral code.

Please note that my refusal to do so is not the same thing as saying it cannot be done, there are many conservatives that routinely misrepresent the Bible and Jesus just as egregiously as you do. They have as few compunctions about using God to fulfill their agenda as you do, but you are both equally wrong.

Do not expect me to join you.

No... you're original misconception was the the person Making the Idol was the idolator. The people presenting the Golden Calf were not idolators... They were sending a message to a person they feel IS an idolator.

No... you're original misconception was the the person Making the Idol was the idolator. The people presenting the Golden Calf were not idolators... They were sending a message to a person they feel IS an idolator.

Really?

Go back and read the thread, you will see that you are the one that brought up idolatry, I simply refuted the point you were trying to make that it is possible to make an idol and not be an idolator. I could have pointed out that you are assuming that Boehner loves money, not God, but that would have been petty.

"You did not read it either, I see, The idolators are the ones that make the idol, not random people the idol makers try to present them to"

That is what you wrote. The presentation of the idol was not random. The people that made the golden calf gave it to someone they felt was an idolator of money.

"You did not read it either, I see, The idolators are the ones that make the idol, not random people the idol makers try to present them to"

That is what you wrote. The presentation of the idol was not random. The people that made the golden calf gave it to someone they felt was an idolator of money.

That is your opinion, mine is that the presentation was random in that they did not single Boehner out because he, persoally, worships money, they chose him because he is the effective leader of a party which they think worships money. This ignores the obvious problem that the Republican Party is actually incapable of worshoping anything, because it is a corporation, not a living person, and it actually clashes with another argument they like to use that corporations are not people.

It also does not change one thing about why I started this thread, which was to highlight the fact that the left is trying to dress themselves up as Jesus and make the other side wrong. I know conservatives do the same thing, and you rightfully call them for it, but that does not make it right for progressives to do it. By actually doing so they prove they have not read the Bible, which is my point.

As I said, you went off into idolatry, and I addressed it. The fact that you misinterpreted the entire thread does not in any way help your argument that I do not know what idolatry is.

The Republican part is a Corporation? Well, I guess that means that they are a person... because, according to Republican belief... a Corporation is a person.

This is hilarious, you guys are arguing over a fictional set of laws to try to pin on the other side the crime of transgressing.

Please, continue. This is popcorn worthy.

The Republican part is a Corporation? Well, I guess that means that they are a person... because, according to Republican belief... a Corporation is a person.

Republicans believe the law? Amazing, are you saying Democrats do not?

This is hilarious, you guys are arguing over a fictional set of laws to try to pin on the other side the crime of transgressing.

Please, continue. This is popcorn worthy.

I never mentioned a law about anything, but thanks for playing.

It's not a fictional set of laws to me. But hey... if I can amuse you along the way? Have fun!

Remember that Shar'ia Law thing that nobody wants? Well, this is the same thing.

How so? Many of our laws (theft, Murder, etc) come from Mosaic Law. You think they are bad laws? Adultery didn't even make the list of Criminal Offenses.

We are a free country. I feel that you should basically be able to do whatever you want to do, if it doesn't break proper laws... Some laws... like Pot...heck, even Prostitution shouldn't even be on the books. Hard drugs? I'm not OK with legalizing them personally.

While I mentioned that I didn't want my church to marry gays... I have no problem with churches that do, and I have no problem with those being legally binding relationships.

I am, on a personal level... Anti-Abortion. But as an American Citizen in a free America, I understand that abortion is legal, is very much up in the air on when becomes a person... and I know that there are a lot of kids and some adults that have no business being a parent when they get pregnant. I am also not such a prude that I can reasonably expect one to "keep it in their pants" when I enjoy sex with my wife and did before I got married.

To sit there and cast judgment on another person, when "there but the grace of God, go I" is hypocritical as hell. I would never tell my kid to have an abortion and I would try my best to talk her out of it if she wanted on... but ultimately... the decision would be hers.

Now, I know that's not what Conservative Christians will tell you. But I'm not a CONSERVATIVE Christian. I am just a Christian trying to do my best in this world. If some of my thoughts and struggles put the pious in a tizzy, so be it.

It's not a fictional set of laws to me. But hey... if I can amuse you along the way? Have fun!

Remember that Shar'ia Law thing that nobody wants? Well, this is the same thing.

How so? Many of our laws (theft, Murder, etc) come from Mosaic Law. You think they are bad laws? Adultery didn't even make the list of Criminal Offenses.

We are a free country. I feel that you should basically be able to do whatever you want to do, if it doesn't break proper laws... Some laws... like Pot...heck, even Prostitution shouldn't even be on the books. Hard drugs? I'm not OK with legalizing them personally.

While I mentioned that I didn't want my church to marry gays... I have no problem with churches that do, and I have no problem with those being legally binding relationships.

I am, on a personal level... Anti-Abortion. But as an American Citizen in a free America, I understand that abortion is legal, is very much up in the air on when becomes a person... and I know that there are a lot of kids and some adults that have no business being a parent when they get pregnant. I am also not such a prude that I can reasonably expect one to "keep it in their pants" when I enjoy sex with my wife and did before I got married.

To sit there and cast judgment on another person, when "there but the grace of God, go I" is hypocritical as hell. I would never tell my kid to have an abortion and I would try my best to talk her out of it if she wanted on... but ultimately... the decision would be hers.

Now, I know that's not what Conservative Christians will tell you. But I'm not a CONSERVATIVE Christian. I am just a Christian trying to do my best in this world. If some of my thoughts and struggles put the pious in a tizzy, so be it.

Idolatry has nothing to do with anything. Unless you want to point to another law system in which idolatry would be given a death penalty. (Some Middle-East countries)

I respect the kind of Christian you are though. Don't get me wrong.

You're the kind that respects other peoples beliefs and understands that your religion is your own and not someone elses.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back