Going High Def!! Need Some Advice

Discussion in 'Computers' started by George Costanza, Oct 24, 2011.

1. George Costanza

George Costanza A Friendly Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    We are going to convert all of our (four) television sets to flat screen, high definition. We are with DirecTV. I have spoken with them and as soon as we get the flats, they are ready to come out and do their switchover number.

I know zero about HD - so please help me out here.

Which is better: Plasma or LED?
    Which name brand is best? Samsung? LG? Sony? Other?
    What is the best resolution to get?

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks in advance.

2. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
  3. George Costanza

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    Thank you. Probably not going to go into the surround sound bit - at least not at first.

What about brand names? We just came back from a week in a Marriott resort where they had LG plasmas. I thought they were terrific. But my golfing buddy says Samsung is the industry standard these days.

Any thoughts on that?

4. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,403

Yeah... wait a month or two for all the holiday sales. :)

5. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Since you're a liberal, I assume you will research companies and find one that builds their products in the US? Or at least somewhere where they have decent safety standards and child labor laws? Or are you just interested in the 'best' or the 'cheapest'. Are you gonna put your money where your mouth is or what?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Ropey

Ropey To Life! Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,985
    Plasma was a technology created to bypass the issues on panel size as LCD (at that time) usually panned out around 42 --> 46" due to panel defects at larger sizes. It has characteristics that are quite good though. Both the black depth and the 800Mhz pixel shifting are excellent specs. Great for movies and sports.

I don't see much reason other than price to buy the outdated technology. Burn in is a killer with those panels and their light distributive qualities begin to degenerate earlier and are higher consumers of energy.

1080p is the top resolution in pixel alignment for HD. Most television HD process at 720p or less and most HD movies from blue-ray run in 1080p and will downsample to lower resolutions.

There are very few companies that make the panels. At the moment, there are LCD and LCD/LED (edge lit led) and the newest technology which bypasses the LED Edge Lit and moves to a full LED back panel (issue was defects and finally conquered) which is superb. I have never seen better.

So, today I would buy a Samsung/Sony Panel with a full LED backlight as the top release. I'm not so big on the proprietary technologies such as Sharp's Aquos (banding issues) CYMK color technology.

The Jew in me is waiting until next year. :razz:

7. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
  8. Ropey

Ropey To Life! Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,985
    Likely there's more than a few Samsung Panels in LG products Douger. The Samsung panel controls will be LG. That's where the proprietorship is found, in the actual electronics controlling the panel.

So, if you research the panels of the product, then you can determine the entire technology and build of the panel. Nothing wrong with LG. They just do not get the top of the line technology until the panel makers have refreshed a bit.

So, those who want it immediately will have to go to Samsung/Sony for the Backlit LED technology since it is ~1 month in release.

If I find an LG (or other) product with the technology I am looking for, then I will research that products panel controls and if they fit with the price... :)

9. George Costanza

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    I only buy foreign. Japanese if possible. My main car is an Acura. The wife drives a Merecedes. Our home is a monument to foreign manufacture. I only look for "Made in Taiwan" on everything I buy. If it's made in the U.S., I walk away from it. Inferior construction, regardless of the product.

BTW, where did you get the idea that it is liberals who drive around with "Buy American" on their bumpers? I thought that was a con thing.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  10. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    I always research companies I intend to buy from. I like to ensure that I'm buying ethically. I thought the left were big into ethics... except for Apple. I put my money where my mouth is. Don't bitch about the economy, or unemployment, and buy foreign.