Going High Def!! Need Some Advice

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Los Angeles area.
We are going to convert all of our (four) television sets to flat screen, high definition. We are with DirecTV. I have spoken with them and as soon as we get the flats, they are ready to come out and do their switchover number.

I know zero about HD - so please help me out here.

Which is better: Plasma or LED?
Which name brand is best? Samsung? LG? Sony? Other?
What is the best resolution to get?

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks in advance.

Hang out here for a while
Plasma TV Buying Guide: Plasma TV Reviews, HDTV Ratings, Pricing and Comparisons
I've got a 42 inch LG at 720 and HD.
It's pretty damn slick and the price was decent. $1600 with a 5 speaker surround sound DVD-USB setup ( fat 32 USB format)

Thank you. Probably not going to go into the surround sound bit - at least not at first.

What about brand names? We just came back from a week in a Marriott resort where they had LG plasmas. I thought they were terrific. But my golfing buddy says Samsung is the industry standard these days.

Any thoughts on that?

We are going to convert all of our (four) television sets to flat screen, high definition. We are with DirecTV. I have spoken with them and as soon as we get the flats, they are ready to come out and do their switchover number.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah... wait a month or two for all the holiday sales. :)

Plasma TV Buying Guide: Plasma TV Reviews, HDTV Ratings, Pricing and Comparisons
It's pretty damn slick and the price was decent. $1600 with a 5 speaker surround sound DVD-USB setup ( fat 32 USB format)

Thank you. Probably not going to go into the surround sound bit - at least not at first.

What about brand names? We just came back from a week in a Marriott resort where they had LG plasmas. I thought they were terrific. But my golfing buddy says Samsung is the industry standard these days.

Any thoughts on that?

Since you're a liberal, I assume you will research companies and find one that builds their products in the US? Or at least somewhere where they have decent safety standards and child labor laws? Or are you just interested in the 'best' or the 'cheapest'. Are you gonna put your money where your mouth is or what?

Thanks in advance.

Plasma was a technology created to bypass the issues on panel size as LCD (at that time) usually panned out around 42 --> 46" due to panel defects at larger sizes. It has characteristics that are quite good though. Both the black depth and the 800Mhz pixel shifting are excellent specs. Great for movies and sports.

I don't see much reason other than price to buy the outdated technology. Burn in is a killer with those panels and their light distributive qualities begin to degenerate earlier and are higher consumers of energy.

1080p is the top resolution in pixel alignment for HD. Most television HD process at 720p or less and most HD movies from blue-ray run in 1080p and will downsample to lower resolutions.

There are very few companies that make the panels. At the moment, there are LCD and LCD/LED (edge lit led) and the newest technology which bypasses the LED Edge Lit and moves to a full LED back panel (issue was defects and finally conquered) which is superb. I have never seen better.

So, today I would buy a Samsung/Sony Panel with a full LED backlight as the top release. I'm not so big on the proprietary technologies such as Sharp's Aquos (banding issues) CYMK color technology.

The Jew in me is waiting until next year. :razz:

TV at Pricewatch - lowest prices, sales, price comparison
The best deals on all things electric.
There's no Samsung dealer in my pueblo so everyone has LG. We're all happy with their schtuff. Everything I own is LG.

Likely there's more than a few Samsung Panels in LG products Douger. The Samsung panel controls will be LG. That's where the proprietorship is found, in the actual electronics controlling the panel.

So, if you research the panels of the product, then you can determine the entire technology and build of the panel. Nothing wrong with LG. They just do not get the top of the line technology until the panel makers have refreshed a bit.

So, those who want it immediately will have to go to Samsung/Sony for the Backlit LED technology since it is ~1 month in release.

If I find an LG (or other) product with the technology I am looking for, then I will research that products panel controls and if they fit with the price... :)

Any thoughts on that?

Since you're a liberal, I assume you will research companies and find one that builds their products in the US? Or at least somewhere where they have decent safety standards and child labor laws? Or are you just interested in the 'best' or the 'cheapest'. Are you gonna put your money where your mouth is or what?

I only buy foreign. Japanese if possible. My main car is an Acura. The wife drives a Merecedes. Our home is a monument to foreign manufacture. I only look for "Made in Taiwan" on everything I buy. If it's made in the U.S., I walk away from it. Inferior construction, regardless of the product.

BTW, where did you get the idea that it is liberals who drive around with "Buy American" on their bumpers? I thought that was a con thing.

Last edited:

Any thoughts on that?

I only buy foreign. Japanese if possible. My main car is an Acura. The wife drives a Merecedes. Our home is a monument to foreign manufacture. I only look for "Made in Taiwan" on everything I buy. If it's made in the U.S., I walk away from it. Inferior construction, regardless of the product.

BTW, where did you get the idea that it is liberals who drive around with "Buy American" on their bumpers? I thought that was a con thing.

I always research companies I intend to buy from. I like to ensure that I'm buying ethically. I thought the left were big into ethics... except for Apple. I put my money where my mouth is. Don't bitch about the economy, or unemployment, and buy foreign.

Any thoughts on that?

It's a union thing........ :eusa_whistle:

Any thoughts on that?

Plasma's put out a lot of heat. LCD's, less. I consider myself an audiophile and want the best in everything that will play music, as well as watching other "stuff." I prefer to stay with companies that have been into music making-instruments for the longest time and that is why my two widescreens are LCD's. 40 and 46 inch, Sonys.

Phillips has been doing music well, for a long time too. Samsung is also a good brand from what I hear from others. I love Sony for music and Bose for headphones. Computer speakers are great too and they are Logitech.

You will love your new HD. :D

Thanks in advance.

Loud music goes a long way to high tone "def"ness........ :eusa_whistle:

LCD.
I would strongly recommend 5.1 surround sound though for your movie experience. Probably not for all the TV's but for the main room.

personally, for the money i recommend plasma.

burn-in is (mostly) a thing of the past, and the refresh rates and black levels can't be beat.

you'll also pay considerably less - however they do put out more heat, consume more energy, and are heavier than lcds.

also, while you're doing it, i suggest making the jump to 3d on at least on tv if you enjoy it at all. just saw an ad for a 50" LG and 2 pairs of glasses for $949 - not bad at all. the premium for 3d has gone down considerably.

burn-in is (mostly) a thing of the past, and the refresh rates and black levels can't be beat.

you'll also pay considerably less - however they do put out more heat, consume more energy, and are heavier than lcds.

also, while you're doing it, i suggest making the jump to 3d on at least on tv if you enjoy it at all. just saw an ad for a 50" LG and 2 pairs of glasses for $949 - not bad at all. the premium for 3d has gone down considerably.

True, the burn in is a characteristic of all large panels although the plasma is more responsive to the reaction and suffers worse. All the new panels (that I have seen) have setup timers that standby a screen that is unmoving after a predetermined (optional) time thus negating that issue with them all.

True, the burn in is a characteristic of all large panels although the plasma is more responsive to the reaction and suffers worse. All the new panels (that I have seen) have setup timers that standby a screen that is unmoving after a predetermined (optional) time thus negating that issue with them all.

it's not just that - plasmas have for a long time now used pixel orbiting to alleviate the problem. they also come packed with tools to help wipe the image if it has been slightly retained.

seriously, i leave my tv on all the time. i've fallen asleep with it on the netflix screen - had it remain static for at least 8 hours - and i've had no problems whatsoever with burn in.

it's just not an issue any longer.

it's not just that - plasmas have for a long time now used pixel orbiting to alleviate the problem. they also come packed with tools to help wipe the image if it has been slightly retained.

seriously, i leave my tv on all the time. i've fallen asleep with it on the netflix screen - had it remain static for at least 8 hours - and i've had no problems whatsoever with burn in.

it's just not an issue any longer.

Mine's set to go off and although it is optional, it is an automatic setting from the factory and all the panel controls that I have seen have this characteristic. However it could be a legacy setting that is unnecessary. I know that plasma came out with a form of wobbling the pixel and I assume that is the orbiting you mean.

I agree with your qualification of "Mostly". However, that being said, mostly is not all. And if you enable the wobbling, you will see some effect.

To each their own :) The Plasma is cheaper and not a bad device.

Mine's set to go off and although it is optional, it is an automatic setting from the factory and all the panel controls that I have seen have this characteristic. However it could be a legacy setting that is unnecessary. I know that plasma came out with a form of wobbling the pixel and I assume that is the orbiting you mean.

I agree with your qualification of "Mostly". However, that being said, mostly is not all. And if you enable the wobbling, you will see some effect.

maybe i just don't pay enough attention, but i've never been able to see the wobbling - and i would think that i would as i play a lot of games and watch a lot of movies.

oh well. truthfully, the awesome thing about tvs right now is you really can't go wrong. nearly everything above the basest of base models out there has 120hz or better refresh rates, 1080 p picture, 3 or more hdmi inputs, dark blacks, excellent contrast, low power consumption, and long life.

it's just your frills - how light do you want it, how big, how much internet connectivity, and so on that you need to decide on.

maybe i just don't pay enough attention, but i've never been able to see the wobbling - and i would think that i would as i play a lot of games and watch a lot of movies.

oh well. truthfully, the awesome thing about tvs right now is you really can't go wrong. nearly everything above the basest of base models out there has 120hz or better refresh rates, 1080 p picture, 3 or more hdmi inputs, dark blacks, excellent contrast, low power consumption, and long life.

it's just your frills - how light do you want it, how big, how much internet connectivity, and so on that you need to decide on.

Edit:

My error in composition. I said you will. I mean you might. Excuse me and +1 for you.

You got it man. We're fine with all of our panels and I don't have the newest tech anyway. Why throw money at the wall?

I learned that when I was young and lost all my money...

Once. :)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back