God given rights?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by onecut39, Jul 2, 2012.

1. onecut39

onecut39 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Senator Paul Ryan. Senator, GOP leader, writer of budgets.

In this little interview he says rights come from god and are not given by governments. That may be true but God is incredibly bad at keeping those rights for his people and never once has he intervened, personally, to lend a hand. It has always been our job to raise the armies, take the casualties and shoulder the burden while God sits idly by without even a muted cheer.

Even the founders knew better. The declaration states that, "to secure these rights governments are instituted among men". I guess there is no need for those first ten amendments to the constitution either. With god on our side who the hell needs a Bill of Rights?

Being an atheist god and I have a tenuous relationship and if Ryan does not mind I prefer a rule of law to a theocracy.

Ryan is here

Paul Ryan: Repeal health law because rights come from God | The Raw Story

The declaration is here. (Although our patriotic and learned rightwingnuts should have no need of verification. This holy text should be burned into their memory if not their soul)

Declaration of Independence - Text Transcript

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. flacaltenn

flacaltenn USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,435
    When you're sitting in a concentration camp and experiencing the failings of the "laws of men" --- tell me who YOU are gonna appeal to for your rights....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,203
    Actually. God was quite active in preserving the Revolutionaries during the war. There were Miracles at the Battles of Boston, Long Island, Trenton, Princeton, and Yorktown (just to mention some of the biggest battles). Without the intervention of Divine Providence, the Continental army would have been crushed the First few months.

What people fail to realize is that God will only intervene if we keep our end of the covenant with Him. If we are Proud, dishonest, corrupt, apathetic, and violate His commands and counsels, we have no promise for His intervention. If we live ungodly lives, we are going to be brought into bondage. It's the truth that sets us free. It's by living the Truth that we can obtain the promises God has made to us.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    A right given only by man or the created government of man could subsequently be taken away.... when you deem a right as inalienable and given by a power or authority higher than man, you are basically saying that no matter what man may do, deep down all of mankind still should have that right

5. peach174

peach174 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,444
    So true !
    George Washington was one of the biggest of believers from the experiences he encountered during his battles. How many times did he say he was saved from bullets and that he would not have survived without divine intervention? :D
    Every single one of them believed we won the war with God's help.

6. Sinjorri

Sinjorri Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +267
    other atheists make me a believer in god, his wording kills me

Being an atheist god and I have a tenuous relationship and if Ryan does not mind I prefer a rule of law to a theocracy

heres my quesdtion to other atheists, if you dont believe in something, why do u get offended if people are doing something u dont beleive exists?

7. The T

The T George S. Patton Party Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    What USED TO BE A REPUBLIC RUN BY TYRANTS
    Ratings:
    +5,502
    Our government's purpose from the outset was to preserve, protect those rights.

Our government instead has done a 180 and has become what the Founder's warned us of.

8. BlindBoo

BlindBoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,398
    If Americans believe in an inalienable right to life, how can we tolerate a system that denies people lifesaving medications and treatments?

9. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    When you have a right to have your life protected from others who may wish to take it away... or you have the right to live your life in your own way and do for yourself as you see fit... does not mean that you must have your personal needs taken care of for you at the expense of the freedoms and personal property rights of others

10. Sinjorri

Sinjorri Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +267
    funny u ask that if u believe women can have abortions and ur telling some of the population u dont get free medical because u wont be able to live. How do people ask that of children?