Glock 42...how does this happen?

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
I have been looking at the Glock 42....and there had been some issues with certain types of ammo not working consistently in the pistol......My question to all of you gun people out there.....how does a gun get shipped for sale with an issue like this? Don't they fire the things with all sorts of ammo long before they ship them out? I can see odd problems like the XDS had where it took a very particular set of circumstances for the malfunction to appear and it didn't happen to all the guns....but this is an ammo problem that should have been noticed and corrected....right?

Thoughts?

Glock Appears To Have Made Changes To The G42 LooseRounds.com

"It appears Glock has quietly modified several internal parts on the new G42’s rolling off the line. This may be to address feeding/ammo issues that have been reported in the G42. Recently I acquired a new G42 to compare. I purchased a blue label G42 on the first day of release, after Shot Show in January. I found the G42 to be very problematic and mine was extremely unreliable. In every magazine fired, I had failures to feed and even double feeds, after the first round fired. Several of my co-workers also bought G42’s the same day and have had the same feeding and extraction issues. Several different kinds of ammunition were used, mostly quality ammo i.e. (Federal, American Eagle, Speer Lawman, HPR JHP with Hornady XTP) and others."

Sounds like the guys General Motors fired went to work for Glock. :)

While not a common problem the issue of ammo compatibility is not a new one. My Mossberg bear gun (12-ga.) would jam every time I used one particular brand sabot round. But only the one brand and only the one type. Apparently not enough people used that combination to cause complaints to be acted upon.

Fortunately the jams occurred during the firing of practice rounds and I NEVER loaded 'em when going into the field where a jam could result in overfeeding the bears.

"It appears Glock has quietly modified several internal parts on the new G42’s rolling off the line. This may be to address feeding/ammo issues that have been reported in the G42. Recently I acquired a new G42 to compare. I purchased a blue label G42 on the first day of release, after Shot Show in January. I found the G42 to be very problematic and mine was extremely unreliable. In every magazine fired, I had failures to feed and even double feeds, after the first round fired. Several of my co-workers also bought G42’s the same day and have had the same feeding and extraction issues. Several different kinds of ammunition were used, mostly quality ammo i.e. (Federal, American Eagle, Speer Lawman, HPR JHP with Hornady XTP) and others."

yeah, that is one of the articles I read reviewing the pistol.....You wonder if anyone said..."Hey...before we ship these out...maybe we should shoot a few of them with all kinds of ammo...you know....to see if the work out okay?" But for some reason they don't......is there a production issue to revenue scheme where they have to have them on the shelves or lose money....?

I have been looking at the Glock 42....and there had been some issues with certain types of ammo not working consistently in the pistol......My question to all of you gun people out there.....how does a gun get shipped for sale with an issue like this? Don't they fire the things with all sorts of ammo long before they ship them out? I can see odd problems like the XDS had where it took a very particular set of circumstances for the malfunction to appear and it didn't happen to all the guns....but this is an ammo problem that should have been noticed and corrected....right?

Thoughts?
Glocks as a whole have few if any problems. The Glock 42 DOES have an issue with feed to due the stamping. Enclosed is a video on the feed issue and it's cure.

Thoughts?

Certain types of ammo just suck.

yeah, that is one of the articles I read reviewing the pistol.....You wonder if anyone said..."Hey...before we ship these out...maybe we should shoot a few of them with all kinds of ammo...you know....to see if the work out okay?" But for some reason they don't......is there a production issue to revenue scheme where they have to have them on the shelves or lose money....?

Probably figured, it's just a gun, what's the worst that could happen? :)

Reliability. Exactly why revolvers were the weapons of choice with law enforcement for so long. If the round in one chamber goes "click" instead of "bang" you usually have fresh rounds in other chambers you can fire without much fumbling around. When I was new to handguns even the big names in (simi) autoloaders usually only claimed to be very reliable with one (almost always) hardball ammo. Even Colt's 1911's and 1911A1's usually required a lot of after market work to handle a variety of soft point or hollow point ammo and maybe still not the one you really wanted to try.

Reliability. Exactly why revolvers were the weapons of choice with law enforcement for so long. If the round in one chamber goes "click" instead of "bang" you usually have fresh rounds in other chambers you can fire without much fumbling around. When I was new to handguns even the big names in (simi) autoloaders usually only claimed to be very reliable with one (almost always) hardball ammo. Even Colt's 1911's and 1911A1's usually required a lot of after market work to handle a variety of soft point or hollow point ammo and maybe still not the one you really wanted to try.
I carry a revolver to this day. You hear a click just pull that trigger again. The semi auto has to be cleared {two handed} before firing again.

I think what is hurting the 1911 market is so many make parts that will not work with each other. The original 1911s were built by hand.

Glocks biggest problem I think was it's rush to get to many calibers out there because overall quality is great.

I have a 9mm that only likes 124 grain Winchester white box ball ammo. Not 115...not 147...just 124 white box and nothing else.

I have a 9mm that only likes 124 grain Winchester white box ball ammo. Not 115...not 147...just 124 white box and nothing else.
I have an R10/22 that could shoot crap if needed but I also have a competition rifle that really only likes CCI.

Sometimes it's something as simple as load or case thickness.

I think what is hurting the 1911 market is so many make parts that will not work with each other. The original 1911s were built by hand.
But they were close quarters combat guns and built with looser tolerances. Now, people expect accuracy and 1911 can be tack drivers. Any decent manufacturer uses known parts and last I heard the things were flying off of shelves. For a lot of money. I don't see the market as hurting.

But they were close quarters combat guns and built with looser tolerances. Now, people expect accuracy and 1911 can be tack drivers. Any decent manufacturer uses known parts and last I heard the things were flying off of shelves. For a lot of money. I don't see the market as hurting.
Tolerence is their current failing. Yes the market is strong but to many companies build 1911s to other standards. GREAT gun IF you spend the time and money to get one well built.

Tolerence is their current failing. Yes the market is strong but to many companies build 1911s to other standards. GREAT gun IF you spend the time and money to get one well built.
All 4 of mine run great, out of the box. I don't know where you get your info.

Disagree.

My Colts have been perfectly reliable out of he box – all they need is a steady diet of 230gr FMJ rounds.

The M&P 40 Shield I carry has also been perfectly reliable with 180gr TMJ ammo.

Find the cartridges your semi-auto likes and you're good to go.

As for the OP, just another good reason not to buy a Glock.

Is this a joke? I'm supposed to ignore my experiences and that of many others because of a video (that I'm not going to watch)?

Is this a joke? I'm supposed to ignore my experiences and that of many others because of a video (that I'm not going to watch)?

The mass production of the 1911 by many companies has led to it's failings. NOT Colt but yes the mass production. The knock offs have to be counted in the fail rate per model NOT brand.

The mass production of the 1911 by many companies has led to it's failings. NOT Colt but yes the mass production. The knock offs have to be counted in the fail rate per model NOT brand.
You're a joke.

You're a joke.

Numbers don't lie. I am NOT knocking the 1911 I am saying there are some very poor quality 1911s out there.

Forum List

Back