Globalizing King's Legacy

dilloduck said:
Sure--the NAACP is racist as hell---King espoused the advancement of colored people--don't give me any shit that he was fighting for the rights of "all" people .
Ah, I see; you're equating the motivations and intentions of today's black leadership with the motivations and intentions of MLK almost 40 years ago. Big mistake.

The ClayTaurus said:
No, it doesn't. Black people are more likely to have high blood pressure. Is that racist?

How did you come to that conclusion?

A scientific study would be one thing, but if you based it on knowing 2 black people with high blood pressure, or just because you want to, would make it racist.

Max Power said:
How did you come to that conclusion?

A scientific study would be one thing, but if you based it on knowing 2 black people with high blood pressure, or just because you want to, would make it racist.

The scientific study would conclude in a generalization based on race. You've made the claim that all generalizations made based on race are racist. This is incorrect, and leads to hypersensitivity.

Black people are more likely to have more pigment in their skin than white people.
Black people are less likely to have naturally blonde hair than white people.

These are generalizations that are not racist. If they are in your mind, then your tossing around of the "racist" word loses much weight.

The ClayTaurus said:
Ah, I see; you're equating the motivations and intentions of today's black leadership with the motivations and intentions of MLK almost 40 years ago. Big mistake.

Bull----NAACP stood for the same thing 40 years ago as it does today--the advancement of colored people. King had no interest in improving life for whites.

dilloduck said:
Bull----NAACP stood for the same thing 40 years ago as it does today--the advancement of colored people. King had no interest in improving life for whites.
King repeatedly disagreed with the NAACP on their tactics. You have no reputable proof that King had no such interest.

The NAACP is different today. Blacks do not face the same discrimination they faced 40 years ago. Do both want the advancement of black people? Sure. 40 years ago, they wanted advancement to equality. Today is a different story.

The ClayTaurus said:
King repeatedly disagreed with the NAACP on their tactics. You have no reputable proof that King had no such interest.

The NAACP is different today. Blacks do not face the same discrimination they faced 40 years ago. Do both want the advancement of black people? Sure. 40 years ago, they wanted advancement to equality. Today is a different story.

Neither group was interested in advancing life for white people---you show me where they we or are.

dilloduck said:
Neither group was interested in advancing life for white people---you show me where they we or are.
You're right. MLK was interested in advancing life for ALL people.

I worked at Arby's for awhile. Black people overwhelmingly ordered the fruity soft drinks more than whites, who it seemed mostly stuck to coke, diet coke, and tea. Is that racist?

dilloduck said:
Hence he belonged to an group named naaCp--where in the hell is your common sense?
Where the hell is yours? MLK wanted all races to be equal. Since colored people were not equal 40 years ago, it would make sense to want the advancement of colored people back then.

Using your logic, anyone in the German armed forces today is a Nazi.

rtwngAvngr said:
I worked at Arby's for awhile. Black people overwhelmingly ordered the fruity soft drinks more than whites, who it seemed mostly stuck to coke, diet coke, and tea. Is that racist?
Nope. The hypersensitive will say it is though.

The ClayTaurus said:
Nope. The hypersensitive will say it is though.

I was called a racist once for sharing this information. "Ya know fruity drinks are mostly for blacks right?" Ya just can't say that.

rtwngAvngr said:
I was called a racist once for sharing this information. "Ya know fruity drinks are mostly for blacks right?" Ya just can't say that.

Who were you talking to, and what was the context?

The ClayTaurus said:
Where the hell is yours? MLK wanted all races to be equal. Since colored people were not equal 40 years ago, it would make sense to want the advancement of colored people back then.

Using your logic, anyone in the German armed forces today is a Nazi.

And according to him there was only one group lagging behind---he wasn't stupid. If all groups took one giant step foreward the blacks would STILL be left behind. If he indeed promote the advancement of all people he did a horrible job making white people understand it.
Read his speech and see how many times he speaks of the mistreated negroe.
http://www.usconstitution.net/dream.html

The Nazis' were defeated as an army and an ideology although the party exists today. I bet the German army is pro-german however and don't spend a hell of a lot of time fighting for the equality of Italians.

rtwngAvngr said:

That's stereotyping at worst. Statistics-by-observation at best. :)

The ClayTaurus said:
Who were you talking to, and what was the context?

I was actually on a date, with a black girl. Maybe I should be more careful to tailor my message to my audience. Oh well. It still turned out ok. I convinced her it was just an observation. I had a fairly large sample group. I always worked the lunchtime rush.

dilloduck said:
And according to him there was only one group lagging behind---he wasn't stupid. If all groups took one giant step foreward the blacks would STILL be left behind. If he indeed promote the advancement of all people he did a horrible job making white people understand it.
Read his speech and see how many times he speaks of the mistreated negroe.
http://www.usconstitution.net/dream.html

The Nazis' were defeated as an army and an ideology although the party exists today. I bet the German army is pro-german however and don't spend a hell of a lot of time fighting for the equality of Italians.
Now, why would one group be lagging behind back then? Hey, if you want to think whites are inherently superior to blacks, and that MLK's efforts to make all races equal was unfair, just be up front about it. I can't really think of any other reason as to why you wouldn't understand the need for blacks to catch up to whites before a collective step could be taken forward.

Plenty of white people understand his message just fine. YOU don't. Don't drag our common race down with you. MLK wanted all groups to be made equal, and then for all to take a step forward.

MLK said:
I say to you today, my friends, so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification; one day right there in Alabama, little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.
His mentioning of negroes was merely to prove his point. Blacks were the glaring example of inequity in the country at that time. It is logical to use the glaring example to prove your overall point. And his overall point was, all men should be equal.

rtwngAvngr said:
I was actually on a date, with a black girl. Maybe I should be more careful to tailor my message to my audience. Oh well. It still turned out ok. I convinced her it was just an observation. I had a fairly large sample group. I always worked the lunchtime rush.

While it's hardly racist, I can see a difference in how one would interpret

"I've observed that blacks drink the fruity drinks more than whites do"

vs.

"The fruity drinks mostly for black people."

But maybe that's just me. There's a fine line between observing and ridiculing for many.

The ClayTaurus said:
While it's hardly racist, I can see a difference in how one would interpret

"I've observed that blacks drink the fruity drinks more than whites do"

vs.

"The fruity drinks mostly for black people."

But maybe that's just me. There's a fine line between observing and ridiculing for many.

I suppose I'd just never bring it up. It's not a vital factoid. I see how it could amount to 'You People drink fruity drinks...'

I doubt I've even notice a trend like that.

Forum List

Back