Globalizing King's Legacy

USViking said:
I will second this, and raise it: he was thinking of men
in the universal sense.

He was a great martyr of freedom, and peace, and he meant it
for the entire world, for all the present and all the future.

That his ministry is now so without followers is not his fault.
He won his own battle, and won it completely without
ever raising a hand in self defence.

Amen.

Merlin said:
Everyone I know celebrates his death, not his birth. He should have been thrown out with the afterbirth. He was a drunkard, womanizer, bigot, hate monger, and he definitely wasn't a Reverend of the cloth. His Dad gave him that title. I won't even drive on a road named after him if I know that is the name of the road.

That is just truly a sad, pathetic statement.

The man was not perfect by any means, we are not here to debate that.

We are here, or apparently have gotten here now, to debate his importance and value to America.

Without Dr. King, could we be the country we are today? Perhaps Dr. King's incredible success spoiled us... he could only lead us to the door of reason, but a sizeable minority among us (both black and white) hold us back from opening it and walking through.

How many of us can imagine America's entire social fabric being turned upside down in less than 10 years and the country come out of it for the better in the long run after immense growing pains that still exist to this point, decades later?

Gay marriage won't do that, neither will prayer in schools. The right to euthenesia and the end of abortion won't either.

The achievement of unalienable rights for all Americans sparked this. The end of apartheid in America meant a new birth for liberty, ushering in a society where everyone has an honest chance, somehow, someway to make it. Where 20-30% of the citizens in the nation are not held back in some sort of underclass with few rights. Where the full energies and potential of Americans are optimized finally.

Dr. King made this happen. Without him, quite simply, we might have had a Bosnia or South Africa type of low-level civil war and/or ethnic cleansing, with a body count potentially in the tens of thousands or higher. We would have lost our soul, and in a short-term light, probably ruined our chance to win the Cold War peacefully.

Hobbit said:
It's not racist.
I don't think you know what racist means.

Here:
http://www.answers.com/racist&r=67

Your sweeping generalizations about black people are most definately racist.

I really feel for them. I want them to succeed and I'm very happy when they do, but, for the most part, they won't. They just whine for handouts.
It doesn't matter if you feel for them. It doesn't matter if you donate to black charities because you feel for them, it's still racist to make such generalizations about black people.

And by the way, I care little when a liberal uses the word 'racist.' It doesn't even mean anything anymore, since it's thrown at anybody who disagrees.
You simply do not know what the word means... perhaps that's why you think it doesn't mean anything anymore.

Max Power said:
I don't think you know what racist means.

Here:
http://www.answers.com/racist&r=67

Your sweeping generalizations about black people are most definately racist.

It doesn't matter if you feel for them. It doesn't matter if you donate to black charities because you feel for them, it's still racist to make such generalizations about black people.

You simply do not know what the word means... perhaps that's why you think it doesn't mean anything anymore.

So any discussion of a race is racist?

Max Power said:
Generalizations based on race are racist.

Then African-Americans are some of the most racist people around.

Calling each other Oreos, the "N" word, etc.

"Chocolate city."

White-man keeping us down.

The list goes on and on.

Most African-Americans want everything based on race. THEIR race.

Black History Month, etc.

Try having a White History Month. They would say that is racist.

The ClayTaurus said:
Wow. Hate monger? That's a new one. I'd ask you to explain, but I doubt you would.

Oh hell, how is he a hate monger?

"everyone he knows thinks..."

His circle of associates must be very small. Of course, you cant have very large meetings when it requires that all the walls be plastered with swastikas, there just arent that many around any more.

Max Power said:
Generalizations based on race are racist.

Bullshit. ALthought I disagree with Hobbits assesment, its easy to see why some think that way. I would fall into it except I go out of my way to inform myself on the real status of black America.

Racism is when you make definitive statements about blacks that are derogatory.

I think all black people are, well, black. Is that racist?

The middle ground prevails here.

One thing I havent heard mentioned is M L King did GIVE HIS LIFE to his cause. He had a pretty damn good idea he wasnt gonna last long. I also think the FBI might have been in on it. The FBI of then and now are two completely different animals. HOOVER was A PIG. I look forward to the day when all his victims get to line up and poop on his face.

King, along with many others were targeted by the FBI. If you dont think they wanted them out of the way, that to order or assist in assasinations, and to fabricate stories about them wasnt in the realm of possibilities, nah, probabilities, then you think Radical Islam is a religion of peace. (Hmmm, guess that already counts out a few here:) )

What's racist here is a bunch of governmental programs that exist solely on the idea that a black man cannot succeed without the government's help. What's racist is how many black leaders are willing to fight for these programs instead of telling 'their people' to pull themselves up by the bootstraps and succeed based on their own merits. What's racist is saying that any black person who actually succeeds in the business world is really just a white guy with black skin, an 'Oreo,' so to speak. What's really racist is assuming that 'whitey' is automatically racist until proven otherwise. Personally, I'm sick and tired of it. I was raised on the idea that we should all be colorblind and only see people based on their merits, but instead, I've been getting accused of racism by blacks and liberals because I want the government to do the same. Well, I'm tired of it. I happen to have a lot of black friends, most of whom are on a path to success, and they, get this, agree with me. They've seen the other black families who are so dependant on handouts and think they're entitled to everything they want just because they're black. In fact, it's because of their disgust with this trend that they have set themselves to rise above it, and though any of them could get one, only one accepted a minority scholarship because he didn't want to have to work and go to school at the same time.

The ClayTaurus said:
Wow. Hate monger? That's a new one. I'd ask you to explain, but I doubt you would.

Oh hell, how is he a hate monger?
Everyone knows, or should know by now, that mlk hated all white people and everything they stand for. I wouldn't hesitate to call that a hate monger.

GotZoom said:
Then African-Americans are some of the most racist people around.

If you said SOME black people, or even MANY black people are racist, I wouldn't disagree.

Merlin said:
Everyone knows, or should know by now, that mlk hated all white people and everything they stand for. I wouldn't hesitate to call that a hate monger.
Everyone doesn't know that. How about some supporting evidence for such a claim? How about some examples of his hatred towards white people? Got anything?

LuvRPgrl said:
Bullshit. ALthought I disagree with Hobbits assesment, its easy to see why some think that way. I would fall into it except I go out of my way to inform myself on the real status of black America.

Racism is when you make definitive statements about blacks that are derogatory.

All black people love fried chicken is a racist statement that isn't derogatory.

Are you also saying that you can't be racist against white people? Asians?

Hobbit said:
What's racist here is a bunch of governmental programs that exist solely on the idea that a black man cannot succeed without the government's help. What's racist is how many black leaders are willing to fight for these programs instead of telling 'their people' to pull themselves up by the bootstraps and succeed based on their own merits. What's racist is saying that any black person who actually succeeds in the business world is really just a white guy with black skin, an 'Oreo,' so to speak. What's really racist is assuming that 'whitey' is automatically racist until proven otherwise. Personally, I'm sick and tired of it. I was raised on the idea that we should all be colorblind and only see people based on their merits, but instead, I've been getting accused of racism by blacks and liberals because I want the government to do the same. Well, I'm tired of it. I happen to have a lot of black friends, most of whom are on a path to success, and they, get this, agree with me. They've seen the other black families who are so dependant on handouts and think they're entitled to everything they want just because they're black. In fact, it's because of their disgust with this trend that they have set themselves to rise above it, and though any of them could get one, only one accepted a minority scholarship because he didn't want to have to work and go to school at the same time.

You can divert all you want, but saying that black people "Just want handouts" is still a racist statement.

Max Power said:
All black people love fried chicken is a racist statement that isn't derogatory.

Are you also saying that you can't be racist against white people? Asians?

That's not racist. That's a generalization. Just because a generalization is about race doesn't make it racist. You have a bit of a hypersensitive definition of racism.

The ClayTaurus said:
That's not racist. That's a generalization. Just because a generalization is about race doesn't make it racist.
Umm, yeah it does.

The ClayTaurus said:
Everyone doesn't know that. How about some supporting evidence for such a claim? How about some examples of his hatred towards white people? Got anything?

Sure--the NAACP is racist as hell---King espoused the advancement of colored people--don't give me any shit that he was fighting for the rights of "all" people .

Forum List

Back