Give 'em an inch...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by jimnyc, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Psychoblues

Psychoblues Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Your comments are well taken, at least by me, Isaac Brock. The dittoheads that comprise the large majority of the republican party might not, probably not, take you as credible. There is a reason for that, I just haven't figured it out yet.

Even centuries of intellectual thought and examination hasn't been able to define or begin to explain the phenomenon other than to say it is akin to some false belief in the supernatural and a certain comfort that is found in particular discrimination from those that one might consider "less" than one self. Even here in this most wonderful United States Message Board, the ridicule and discrimination runs rampant.

Don't you agree?

2. Isaac Brock

Isaac Brock Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Indeed. Though with two caveats. I do not believe the majority of republicans are "dittoheads". As a liberal (at least apparently I am in the American sense, in Canada I would be centrist), I certainly believe much of their ideology is regressive and at times reactionnary, but as always, ideology is open to debate and is not enough to label a person less intelligent.

As for the discrimination on the board, i might say agree that this board certainly has an rightist edge, which intrigues me to no end. However you will find that if you post with a neutral tone and civility, that your posts, even if they are liberal such as mine, can be met with an intelligent and polite response. You might even have some fun.

3. Psychoblues

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Actually, I've already found that, Isaac. But I'm a hot-head as I notice there are several in this midst, including the moderator. But I'm not disillussioned.

My signature line says as much as I can say to you. Dems Gotta Keep On Truckin'

4. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Literature, arts, music and sports are important- agreed. I just don't agree that it is the responsibility of the government to hand them to you on a silver platter, no questions asked. This thread started out highlighting a school district's focus on music; focus so pointed that I can't help but wonder why the school district decided to spend so much time and money on such an issue. It's indemic to the system here in the US- are schools so well able to educate their students that all the needs of the students are being met regardless of this waste? I do not believe so and it is my belief that the government, and by extension the schools, has no business supporting music, art, literature, etc. when the vast majority of its students are receiving substandard education.

This "dittohead" conservative (not republican in political sense) believes that those pursuits are not what government $ should be paying for. Gone are the days when only rich white men are educated in this country. If I had to choose between a well rounded, well educated population and a population that is not, my choice would be clearly for the former. However, that is not the choice. There is not an infinite supply of money and too many people being less educated in the things that would bring them the ability to be self sufficient (and, with that, the ability to pursue those other endeavors).

Again, my issue isn't whether studying those things is worthwhile, my issue is whether the government should be paying for them.

5. Psychoblues

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    <Again, my issue isn't whether studying those things is worthwhile, my issue is whether the government should be paying for them.>

Therein lies a fundamental difference between Democrats and Republicans. While Democrats hold that as a nation we should ascertain that all are afforded an equal and verifiable opportunity for education, the republicans desire that only those that "can afford it" be educated. Who is the government if it is not the "people"?

We won't answer or solve this problem tonight. It's been going on now for several hundred years. My marker goes down for the education of the populace. I think it improves the lives of all of us. Some disagree.

6. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Herein lies one of the few instances in which I will resort to name calling: you, sir, are an idiot. You continue to ignore the basic tenents of post and stereotype anyone with whose opinion you do not agree, in the harshest of terms. Furthermore, you also haven't a clue what the "Republicans" as you call them desire rather you take a few examples and hedge your bets. Most probably because you can't get past labeling them to even understand what they say and don't have the maturity to have a conversation instead of a soapbox derby.

Truly, there is a difference between a government affording all of its citizens the pursuit of happiness and treating them equally and guaranteeing that they have every whim, desire and benefit. And, should you snap out of your liberal reverie, you might actually see that some convervative formulas might even work for the benefit of the majority (no system works for everyone) and allow for a progression of that benefit.

- Wasting money deliberating on whether or not a song should be sung
    - Debating whether a nativity scene, menorah or whatever should be displayed
    - Suing school districts for ridiculous reasons
    - Caving in to the demands of unions

All these "liberal" actions have WASTED the very dollars and resources that could have been used to educate our people.

Lastly, as I begin to stop seeing red, you should remember a very important message: you may not agree with the way in which the other person believes things should be done but you ill-serve your argument by attributing the direst of motives to their behavior. Most republicans, and I believe, democrats want what's best for this country. Not all their ideas will secure that goal, but I should think someone who claims such an intelligence could get beyond labels and see that two people can want the same thing - a better, stronger country and more opportunity for its citizens - and go about it differently.

7. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +248
    Hear, hear, Moi! :clap:

He 'claims' to be a veteran, and that he was some sort of politician. The only qualification he has is slinging bullshit around as if it were truth.

With so many military awards and friends in government as he so often points out, he is no relegated to driving a tow truck. :laugh:

8. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +545
    Moi, excellent post!!! :clap1: :clap1: :clap1: