GI Captured?

CSM

Jul 7, 2004
Northeast US
Web Site Claims GI Captured in Iraq

18 minutes ago Middle East - AP

By ROBERT H. REID, Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Iraqi militants claimed in a Web statement Tuesday to have taken an American soldier hostage and threatened to behead him in 72 hours unless the Americans release Iraqi prisoners.

The posting, on a Web site that frequently carried militants' statements, included a photo of what appeared to be an American soldier in desert fatigues seated with his hands tied behind his back.

A gun barrel was pointed at his head, and he is seated in front of a black banner emblazoned with the Islamic profession of faith, "There is no god but God and Muhammad is His prophet."

A U.S. military spokesman in Baghdad, Marine Sgt. Salju K. Thomas, said he had no information on the claim but "we are currently looking into it."

A statement posted with the picture suggested the group was holding other soldiers.

"Our mujahadeen heroes of Iraq (news - web sites)'s Jihadi Battalion were able to capture American military man John Adam after killing a number of his comrades and capturing the rest," said the statement, signed by the "Mujahedeen Brigades."

"God willing, we will behead him if our female and male prisoners are not released from U.S. prisons within the maximum period of 72 hours from the time this statement has been released," the statement said.

The claim, carried on the Web site ansarnet.ws, could not be verified.

More than 180 foreigners have been kidnapped in the past year. At least 10 of them, including three American civilians, remain in the hands of their kidnappers.

The only American soldier known to have been taken hostage is Pfc. Keith M. Maupin, 20, of Batavia, Ohio, who was shown in a video in April being held by militants. Another video aired in June showed what purported to be Maupin's slaying, but the picture was too unclear to confirm it was him and the military still lists him as missing.

Marine Cpl. Wassef Ali Hassoun went missing in Iraq in June and later photos surfaced on Arab television showing him blindfolded with a sword to his head. In July he made his way to the U.S. Embassy in Beirut. Back in the United States, he said he had been captured, but in December he was charged with desertion for the incident.

I am seriously waiting for the outcry about violations of the Geneva Convention here....I bet I wait a long, long time. Even if they dont behead the guy, they are already in violation.

Here we are less than an hour after the news came out about a captured GI and somebody finally had the sense to pull the guys picture out of the news story....

U.S. Military: No Soldier Missing in Iraq

3 minutes ago Middle East - AP

BAGHDAD, Iraq - The U.S. military said Tuesday that no American soldiers have been reported missing in Iraq (news - web sites) after a Web statement claimed that an American soldier had been taken hostage.

The authenticity of the statement and photo could not be verified, and Staff Sgt. Nick Minecci of the U.S. military's press office in Baghdad said "no units have reported anyone missing."

The posting, on a Web site that frequently carries militants' statements, included a photo of what that statement said was an American soldier, wearing desert fatigues and seated on a concrete floor with his hands tied behind his back.

But questions were raised about the authenticity of a photo purporting to show a hostage with a gun to his head. The figure in the photo appeared stiff and expressionless.

Liam Cusack, of the toy manufacturer Dragon Models USA, inc., said the image of the soldier portrayed in the photo bore a striking resemblance to a military action figure made by the company.

I cannot wait to hear the whole story here

toy.jpg

Same vest and gun as in the terrorist picture. What a joke this guys are.

MtnBiker said:
The terrorists will kill this man in 72 hours if prisoners are not released.
earken2.jpg

:teeth:
That was a man? Man doll? You sure????

Doll in a box. Same rifle in box and on the doll? LOL

Ok... it's the laughingsotck of the internet (for the day)... but who posted the original picture? Where did the prank originate?

IMPORTANT BREAKING NEWS.....

GO-BOTS STAGE DARING RESCUE!!​

go-bots.jpg

2 February 2005
the AP

BAGHDAD - Just moments ago the elite fighting unit of multi-form vehicle/robots, the Go-Bots (pictured above), executed a daring rescue to achieve the release of captured G.I. Joe doll in a insurgent compound just north of Basra.

Go-Bot spokesman Turbo indicated that there were no casualties among the Go-Bot team and that they had killed several insurgents.

There is some speculation that Cy-Kill could ultimately be behind the kidnapping, though no Go-Bot would comment on this one way or the other.

The G.I. Joe doll is in stable condition and was sent to an undisclosed location in Baghdad before it will be sent to Germany for further care, G.I. Joe spokesmen said.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
Zhukov said:

go-bots.jpg

2 February 2005
the AP

BAGHDAD - Just moments ago the elite fighting unit of multi-form vehicle/robots, the Go-Bots (pictured above), executed a daring rescue to achieve the release of captured G.I. Joe doll in a insurgent compound just north of Basra.

Go-Bot spokesman Turbo indicated that there were no casualties among the Go-Bot team and that they had killed several insurgents.

There is some speculation that Cy-Kill could ultimately be behind the kidnapping, though no Go-Bot would comment on this one way or the other.

The G.I. Joe doll is in stable condition and was sent to an undisclosed location in Baghdad before it will be sent to Germany for further care, G.I. Joe spokesmen said.
Awesome!!!!

Zhukov said:

go-bots.jpg

2 February 2005
the AP

:clap: :laugh: Funny stuff ! :mm:

Forum List

Back