German Army in WW2

The Germans didnt think the Soviets would fight back.

Their tactics worked against them. (treating the Russians as subhumans)

German tactics and equipment were great. Their command structure and logistics sucked.
German U Boats were great. The rest of their Navy sucked
The Luftwaffe probably cost them the war. They were unable to maintain air superiority

Germany started strong because it had a lead in weapons development. Most European armies were little changed from the tactics and weaponry used in WWI. Make a list of the countries invaded and it is obvious that the victories were hollow. They lost the tech lead and got their asses handed to them. Superior airpower ultimately turned the tide in the Allies favor on the Western front. The brutal Russian winter had the same effect on the Eastern front.

That's a common misconception. Red Army was much better equipment. E.g. Germans did not have anything comparable to T-34 tank until two years later. Red Army also had many more tanks -- 20k vs 5k. Russians had many more airplanes and pretty much everything else.

What Russians lacked at first was the will to fight. Many thought that Hitler might be better than Stalin.

very true, the panzer 2's and 3's were no match for the T-34 once they showed up in mass. The short barrel 75's on the Panzer 4's were few and far between and not a high velocity gun.

Hitler made Stalin look good. 'Operationally' the Germans were very good and got the most of what they had. Tactically and Grand tactically they had it all over us.

German tactics and equipment were great. Their command structure and logistics sucked.
German U Boats were great. The rest of their Navy sucked
The Luftwaffe probably cost them the war. They were unable to maintain air superiority

true. I was talking about their army. Hitler never wanted war with Britain...

so he never built up his navy .

Germany started strong because it had a lead in weapons development. Most European armies were little changed from the tactics and weaponry used in WWI. Make a list of the countries invaded and it is obvious that the victories were hollow. They lost the tech lead and got their asses handed to them. Superior airpower ultimately turned the tide in the Allies favor on the Western front. The brutal Russian winter had the same effect on the Eastern front.

That's a common misconception. Red Army was much better equipment. E.g. Germans did not have anything comparable to T-34 tank until two years later. Red Army also had many more tanks -- 20k vs 5k. Russians had many more airplanes and pretty much everything else.

What Russians lacked at first was the will to fight. Many thought that Hitler might be better than Stalin.

very true, the panzer 2's and 3's were no match for the T-34 once they showed up in mass. The short barrel 75's on the Panzer 4's were few and far between and not a high velocity gun.

Hitler made Stalin look good. 'Operationally' the Germans were very good and got the most of what they had. Tactically and Grand tactically they had it all over us.

Soviet intelligence knew Germany was going to attack. Stalin was too stupid to listen to them.

Soviet intelligence knew Germany was going to attack. Stalin was too stupid to listen to them.

Killing all your Generals didn't help

still hard to believe Stalin is rated the third greatest Russian.

it helped, a little.

I would certainly have to put the WWII German army in contention. After the war I was with a former German officer that had been on both east and west fronts, and one day over an American beer he said I wonder if you Americans could have stood up to the Russians. Later I wondered if he was touting the Russian army as better than the German?
I think the Japanese had one attribute they had a tendency to not surrender, and that made for some problems they didn't have in Europe. Still the Germans did have the 88's.

The Russian army endured more; I of course choose the American military as # 1 in all conflicts.

The Germans didnt think the Soviets would fight back.

Their tactics worked against them. (treating the Russians as subhumans)

That is very true. If Hitler had decided to treat Russian population as potential allies against Stalin, the outcome would be much different. But then he would not be Hitler.

BTW, the infinity of Russian human resources is exaggerated. USSR population at the start of war was about 190 millions, of them 120 millions were actually Russians. That vs 80 million Germans.

Last edited:
I would certainly have to put the WWII German army in contention. After the war I was with a former German officer that had been on both east and west fronts, and one day over an American beer he said I wonder if you Americans could have stood up to the Russians. Later I wondered if he was touting the Russian army as better than the German?
I think the Japanese had one attribute they had a tendency to not surrender, and that made for some problems they didn't have in Europe. Still the Germans did have the 88's.

The Russian army endured more; I of course choose the American military as # 1 in all conflicts.

like at manassas

Rather, he could not believe that Hitler was as crazy, as to attack.

right but when all your intelligence is saying it and you do nothing to even prepare...

ha, that moustache was not clue enough, huh?

Forum List

Back