German Army in WW2

I would certainly have to put the WWII German army in contention. After the war I was with a former German officer that had been on both east and west fronts, and one day over an American beer he said I wonder if you Americans could have stood up to the Russians. Later I wondered if he was touting the Russian army as better than the German?
I think the Japanese had one attribute they had a tendency to not surrender, and that made for some problems they didn't have in Europe. Still the Germans did have the 88's.

The Russian army endured more; I of course choose the American military as # 1 in all conflicts.

like at manassas

Lee was a better general than any we have seen since.

Soviet intelligence knew Germany was going to attack. Stalin was too stupid to listen to them.

Rather, he could not believe that Hitler was as crazy, as to attack.

right but when all your intelligence is saying it and you do nothing to even prepare...

Oh but he was preparing -- his own attack on Germany :) Soviet historians wanted to hide that fact, so they were eager to tell stories of Stalin being so naive.

As for the intelligence, it was not all that conclusive. Germans supplied Russian spies with disinformation too. Plus little things like a complete lack of preparations by Germans for a war in winter conditions (which was true, they were not planning for that).

Rather, he could not believe that Hitler was as crazy, as to attack.

right but when all your intelligence is saying it and you do nothing to even prepare...

Oh but he was preparing -- his own attack on Germany :) Soviet historians wanted to hide that fact, so they were eager to tell stories of Stalin being so naive.

As for the intelligence, it was not all that conclusive. Germans supplied Russian spies with disinformation too. Plus little things like a complete lack of preparations by Germans for a war in winter conditions (which was true, they were not planning for that).

I haven't heard about Stalin attacking Germany.

it's true about the winter. Germans thought it would be over before that.

also the fall in Russia brings rain...

and mud, which slowed and stopped tanks.

USSR was better

No. They had a larger army. largest in the world.

Hence better

Heh! Heh! Heh!
The Soviet Army was known for its use of penal battalions. Men scrounged from the country's jails and prisons with the promise that they would be allowed to go free should they survive the war. They routinely were assigned to lead the Army's charge. They were allowed no weapons, their purpose was to set off the enemy's mines and to fall on the barbed wire, providing soldiers further back a means of quickly crossing those barriers once they came to them.
It was routine practice for the Soviet Army to not provide weapons to all their regular soldiers, too. They were then expected to procure weapons from soldiers that had fallen earlier in the charge.
The battalions became quite chaotic during the war. Officers often didn't speak the same language or dialect as the enlisted men under their command. During Stalingrad one new officer was assigned to a unit of men who spoke a different dialect making communication between them difficult. Shortly after the officer's arrival several of his men deserted. The officer was ordered shot, even though he couldn't speak the same language and therefore was unable to overhear and detect their plans.
When a Russian soldier was ordered to be shot for dereliction of his duty, he was routinely stripped of his uniform down to his underwear. Again in Stalingrad, one soldier was stripped, taken out and shot, but the executioners in his case happened to have had lousy aim. The soldier came to after being shot the first time, picked himself up and stumbled back into his barracks, He was ordered to be taken out and shot, again.
Aside from the penal battalions, the Soviet Army routinely employed blocking troops, usually Commisars, rather than soldiers, stationed fifty yards or so behind the front lines. Their job was to shoot and kill any and all retreating Russian soldiers. Nikita Kruschev, later Premier of the Soviet Union, earned his spurs as a blocking trooper during the battle of Stalingrad.
Ruthless and brutal. Nevertheless, they got the job done.

Patton would have cleaned his clock.

78 years later, yes. Had Lee the weaponry Patton had, Patton would be hiding under a bed. I would choose Eisenhower over Patton in any event.

You judge a generals skills by the type of weapons he has ? Keep your day job.

No, by RESULTS. Lee had nothing, yet pulled off miracles for the South. I gather you do not remember Lee was offered command of the Union Army, but declined due to his belief is STATES' RIGHTS.

Forum List

Back