Gerald Ford was a good president for America., I rate him very highly.

Said1 said:
Something to do with the french early on maybe? That's why I thought he might be confused with Djibouti. :huh:

My understanding has always been that the US took over from France, for some reason,that no matter how much I've read, I never really understood.

Kathianne said:
My understanding has always been that the US took over from France, for some reason,that no matter how much I've read, I never really understood.

I'm a little fuzzy on that one too. I was just taking a wild guess as to why the Africans where present when the french had left.

Just as an aside, I still like bugging PE about the Nazis in the foreign legion over there. :D

Said1 said:
I'm a little fuzzy on that one too. I was just taking a wild guess as to why the Africans where present when the french had left.

Just as an aside, I still like bugging PE about the Nazis in the foreign legion over there. :D

Well that's just because we are *nevermind* polite company would not like that word. :laugh:

Kathianne said:

fiasco after the major defeat they had in 1954...The US had Special Ops and Cia in country after 1954...the first real battle with regulars occured in 1965, the 7th Air Cav was a experiment using Huey UH1B's.. worked out quite well...
Escalation of the conflict thus ensued...I was assigned to CEDEC out of Camp Roberts/Hunter Ligget 1966-1968...we did combat experimentation on TDY's...ie:Black ops support on new tech...so even though I was not assigned to a regular group..I worked with many....enough said(pun)
;)

archangel said:
fiasco after the major defeat they had in 1954...The US had Special Ops and Cia in country after 1954...the first real battle with regulars occured in 1965, the 7th Air Cav was a experiment using Huey UH1B's.. worked out quite well...
Escalation of the conflict thus ensued...I was assigned to CEDEC out of Camp Roberts/Hunter Ligget 1966-1968...we did combat experimentation on TDY's...ie:Black ops support on new tech...so even though I was not assigned to a regular group..I worked with many....enough said(pun)
;)

I've never underestimated the troops, regular or irregular. My confusion has always been to why we took over from the French. Best I can figure, from what I've pulled has been to 'stop communism's march' ie., the domino theory. Which actually I agree with, but still confused on why the French couldn't pull off?

archangel said:
;)

Small world, I was in cedec when I got back. We were the guys you used to determine squad sizes and the various assault techniques. I was lucky, they gave me a clipboard and I walked behind the guys and marked down causalties. Hunter-Ligget was a miserable place. I was there from Feb to july of 68. We probably saw each other if we didn't actually meet.

Kathianne said:
I've never underestimated the troops, regular or irregular. My confusion has always been to why we took over from the French. Best I can figure, from what I've pulled has been to 'stop communism's march' ie., the domino theory. Which actually I agree with, but still confused on why the French couldn't pull off?

The French cut and ran after their big defeat 1954...The South Vietnam government asked the US for help..and the US complied...pure and simple...no mystery! :dunno:

archangel said:
The French cut and ran after their big defeat 1954...The South Vietnam government asked the US for help..and the US complied...pure and simple...no mystery! :dunno:

Mystery is why we wouldn't expect the French to take care of their own? Why would we intervene? Why would they ask us?

Kathianne said:

I don't think communism and the bigger picture took a front seat over losing what was theirs [the french].

gaffer said:
Small world, I was in cedec when I got back. We were the guys you used to determine squad sizes and the various assault techniques. I was lucky, they gave me a clipboard and I walked behind the guys and marked down causalties. Hunter-Ligget was a miserable place. I was there from Feb to july of 68. We probably saw each other if we didn't actually meet.

I kinda liked Camp Roberts/Hunter Ligget...but then again I am a California guy..
I got out in July 1968...we probably did run across one another...alot of guys were assigned to Camp Roberts from the Cav units going to and from Nam....
Hey have a great one! :D

Kathianne said:
Mystery is why we wouldn't expect the French to take care of their own? Why would we intervene? Why would they ask us?

After WW2 the french wanted to re-establish their old colonies in French-indo china. The Vietnamese didn't want them back. So the war began. The US sent in advisors much later, 1962, at the request of the South becuase they were a democratic nation and the north was communist. The actual division took place in the 50's and I don't remember the details at this time. The french had been long gone when we were invited in to assist. They gave up their desire to take back the colonies after Dihn Bien Phu.

Hope that helps

Kathianne said:

up until their defeat in South Vietnam...they could never seem to get it together again...we were asked by the South Vietnam government to help them...and we did...they asked us because we are a super power and had confidence in our ability...we intervened because that is what we have always done...what else can I say? :huh:

archangel said:
up until their defeat in South Vietnam...they could never seem to get it together again...we were asked by the South Vietnam government to help them...and we did...they asked us because we are a super power and had confidence in our ability...we intervened because that is what we have always done...what else can I say? :huh:

I'm at a loss. Why wouldn't we respond the same to Darfur today?

gaffer said:
After WW2 the french wanted to re-establish their old colonies in French-indo china. The Vietnamese didn't want them back. So the war began. The US sent in advisors much later, 1962, at the request of the South becuase they were a democratic nation and the north was communist. The actual division took place in the 50's and I don't remember the details at this time. The french had been long gone when we were invited in to assist. They gave up their desire to take back the colonies after Dihn Bien Phu.

Hope that helps

after the French military left South Vietnam...they still maintained Rubber Tree
farms...which the NVA used as shields to attack our troops from...for quite awhile fire zones were not allowed into the French commercial zones...a real fiasco...to say the least! :firing:

Kathianne said:
I'm at a loss. Why wouldn't we respond the same to Darfur today?

I'm not quite sure what you are referring to...were we asked officially to respond? And what would our justification be? :confused:

archangel said:
after the French military left South Vietnam...they still maintained Rubber Tree
farms...which the NVA used as shields to attack our troops from...for quite awhile fire zones were not allowed into the French commercial zones...a real fiasco...to say the least! :firing:

There was a big rubber plantation near us in Tay Nihn. We did a lot patroling and ambushes around there. Amoung the trees it was clear for hundreds of yards. They didn't let any undergrowth get started there at all. Never met a single french person there tho. Only Vietnamese. The area's we were in were free fire zones. In fact the very first time I went into the field was at the rubber plantation. It was located at the southwest base of the black virgin mountain. I think the rubber plantations were the only thing the french had left there.

gaffer said:
There was a big rubber plantation near us in Tay Nihn. We did a lot patroling and ambushes around there. Amoung the trees it was clear for hundreds of yards. They didn't let any undergrowth get started there at all. Never met a single french person there tho. Only Vietnamese. The area's we were in were free fire zones. In fact the very first time I went into the field was at the rubber plantation. It was located at the southwest base of the black virgin mountain. I think the rubber plantations were the only thing the french had left there.

However they did not start out as free fire zones...they were restricted at first...If you have ever caught the Rusty Humphries radio show...well his dad was a Huey Pilot who was killed outside of one of the Rubber plantations...He was walking on the tarmack took a RPG that came from the plantation...
Hey I have to run just about dinner and Bud lite hour...have a good one! :beer:

archangel said:
I'm not quite sure what you are referring to...were we asked officially to respond? And what would our justification be? :confused:

archangel said:
we were asked by the South Vietnam government to help them...and we did...they asked us because we are a super power and had confidence in our ability
Why not for African nation? I can handle the fallout of 'no longer a communist threat', just wondering.

Forum List

Back