Gerald Ford was a good president for America., I rate him very highly.

Kathianne said:
Why not for African nation? I can handle the fallout of 'no longer a communist threat', just wondering.

I'm on your side that we should go there, but if we did it would be to fight the government there. Its totally different from Vietnam where we were asked for assistance by the Government. Going into Darfur would be an invasion just like with Iraq. And I believe there are other priorities that take presidence over the Darfur problem, tho I don't agree with them. The potiential for hostilites with Iran, N. Korea, Syria and even China, as you mentioned in your other post, are more important than Darfur which "should" be a UN problem. The genocide there is being carried out by, of all things, radical muslums. I'm all for going in and killing radical muslums where ever they are.

The only good radical muslum is a dead radical muslum.

gaffer said:
I'm on your side that we should go there, but if we did it would be to fight the government there. Its totally different from Vietnam where we were asked for assistance by the Government. Going into Darfur would be an invasion just like with Iraq. And I believe there are other priorities that take presidence over the Darfur problem, tho I don't agree with them. The potiential for hostilites with Iran, N. Korea, Syria and even China, as you mentioned in your other post, are more important than Darfur which "should" be a UN problem. The genocide there is being carried out by, of all things, radical muslums. I'm all for going in and killing radical muslums where ever they are.

The only good radical muslum is a dead radical muslum.
Gaffer, we agree. I guess I was arguing more for Nato whom I'm in nearly daily contact with. He is so committed, but we just don't have a vested interest there.

We got a little off topic here, I did want to add a few things about Ford.

His big down fall was from pardoning Nixon. He was also involved in the investigation over the assasination of Kennedy. There was a lot of covering up done in that deal which is why there are so many conspiracy theories today. In fact if the conspiracy nuts want to look closely, he was involved in almost all the congressional investigations and cover ups of the 60's. I always felt uneasy about him. He was far better than Carter, as far as I was concerned, but I would rather have had another choice than Ford.

Kathianne said:
Gaffer, we agree. I guess I was arguing more for Nato whom I'm in nearly daily contact with. He is so committed, but we just don't have a vested interest there.

Yep other than killing radical muslums, there's not much we can do about it at this point. Its just a sideshow to the rest of the international dealings.

I have a feeling we are gearing up for something big and places like Darfur are just going to have to fend for themselves for a while. But I still think a couple of cruise missiles into some barracks at Kartuhm would make them sit up and take notice that someone is watching.

gaffer said:
Yep other than killing radical muslums, there's not much we can do about it at this point. Its just a sideshow to the rest of the international dealings.

I have a feeling we are gearing up for something big and places like Darfur are just going to have to fend for themselves for a while. But I still think a couple of cruise missiles into some barracks at Kartuhm would make them sit up and take notice that someone is watching.

You scare me in reflecting my own beliefs back.

Big Blue Machin said:
Yup, and I read his great autobiography, "A Time to Heal". It covers everything about his life, his politics, and other things. It shows how useless the Democrats in Congress were, they wouldn't let him do anything.

Machin The Democrats where the reason why Nixon had to resign. Democrats controlled the house, and more importantly the senate until 1996 when they regained control and frightened Bill Clinton into sending Ron Brown all over the world to sell weapons to the chinese and other nations in order to raise money for his campaign. The democrats and their massive spending created inflation in this country during the Carter administration, in fact the ironic thing about Gerald Ford is that aside from pardoning Nixon from the WaterGate scandal, Gerald Ford was blamed for high inflation, of course Jimmy Carter did nothing but make the economy worse. Regans tax cuts however brought America economic prosperity again. If anyone tells you that higher taxes dont hurt the economy tell them that its pure :bs1:

Kathianne said:
Disney made a movie on the Jamican Bobsled team, right? Damn, I'm bad at this stuff. They made a movie about some island bobsled team...

Yes, with John Candy horribly miscast as their trainer. Still, a pretty decent movie. I watched it with my cousin when it came out on VHS. We were interrupted by a tornado touching down about 10 miles to the east, but managed to finish it.

Ford was in office such a short time, it's hard to say if he did a good or bad job. I certainly don't envy the position he was in: Not elected to office, on the heels of Watergate, an unpopular war that was botched two administrations ago drawing to a close.

I do think Ford deserves credit for keeping things relatively smooth at a difficult time. I think he did what he had to do for the greater good, in both foriegn policy and domestically. It would have been interesting to see what he could have done with his own term in office. He certainly wouldn't have been any worse than Jimmy Carter.

Jimmy Carter actually thanked Ford for healing the nation in his auginration address in 1977.

Ford tried to cut spending but the Democrats wouldn't let him. His 66 vetoes saved only 6 billion dollars. His plans for cutting taxes and spending at the same time were right for the recession.

Jimmyeatworld said:
This is a pretty good site talking about it.

http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/vietnam_war.htm

Canada wasn't offically involved in Vietnam, but there were 10,000 Canadians that served there.

I know Canada wasn't "officially" involved, athough we were making money hand over fist selling arms and weapons that were being sent over there. This is so typical.

I was talking about a Candian who was over there, he said he saw West Africans soldiers when he was there.

Big Blue Machin said:
If you want to talk about Vietnam, create a thread about it.

We are talking about America's 38th President Gerald R. Ford.

Listen buddy, anyone can address any post or point within a post that they want. If you don't like it, that's your problem. Perhaps you should visit a message board that is much more anal about staying on topic, or better, create your own, that way you can control what happens. :boohoo:

Said1 said:
Listen buddy, anyone can address any post or point within a post that they want. If you don't like it, that's your problem. Perhaps you should visit a message board that is much more anal about staying on topic, or better, create your own, that way you can control what happens. :boohoo:

You tell him said1....damn wish I had one like you in the trenches...back in the day... :rock:

Big Blue Machin said:
If you want to talk about Vietnam, create a thread about it.

We are talking about America's 38th President Gerald R. Ford.

In your post you praised Gerald Ford for supposedly getting us out of Vietnam..
therefore you created the continued thread.......... :banana2:

Big Blue Machin said:
I prefer to stay on topic. :blowup:

It's like a conversation. You might begin with the status of affairs in Myanmar, but end up talking about the Revolutionary War. Your attempt to control everybody else by attempting to lead the conversation whichever way you want has simply fallen of deaf ears.

:funnyface

Said1 said:
Go ahead. But just so you know, this isn't the student council, and you don't give orders here. Complain to management next time.

Now, as you were. :tng:

Ok, let me see if I can stick my nose in and help.

There is a rule asking people to stay on topic, but there are certain things that are generally considered acceptable.

Think of the board as a get together and every thread as a group of people talking. If in the course of a thread, someone brings up something of interest and someone else comments on it, that is generally considered okay. I think what the "stay on topic" rule is there for is to prevent people from out and out hijacking a thread. For instance, if you start a thread on the bottom of the board about comic books, then someone comes in and posts some kind of anti-Bush, anti-Democrat, anti-whatever garbage that has nothing whatsoever to do with comic books, that would be against the rules.

It also helps to keep people from sneaking in BS and not feeling obliged to prove what they have said.

**Whoops. Replied to the wrong post. Oh well, it fits in there somewhere.

Forum List

Back