Georgia school district to allow some support staff to be armed, but not teachers...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
I think this makes sense......teachers generally have classrooms to protect in the middle of a mass public shooting.....so if one happens, they will sit in their classes and keep their kids safe, but won't be able to care for kids in other classrooms......

By arming support staff....people who will move throughout the building during the day, or during an actual attack will be unencumbered by students.....they will be a massive deterrent to killers when the killer is choosing where they plan to attack......

I think if teachers want to be armed, and go through training, they should...but this isn't a bad compromise...

Another good step would be to simply get rid of the gun free zone status of the schools.......allow parents visiting the office on various business, dropping off their kids after school starts, picking up kids for medical appointments, dropping off forgotten lunches, teacher meetings.....would be another massive deterrent to shooters......

I think this makes sense......teachers generally have classrooms to protect in the middle of a mass public shooting.....so if one happens, they will sit in their classes and keep their kids safe, but won't be able to care for kids in other classrooms......

By arming support staff....people who will move throughout the building during the day, or during an actual attack will be unencumbered by students.....they will be a massive deterrent to killers when the killer is choosing where they plan to attack......

I think if teachers want to be armed, and go through training, they should...but this isn't a bad compromise...

Another good step would be to simply get rid of the gun free zone status of the schools.......allow parents visiting the office on various business, dropping off their kids after school starts, picking up kids for medical appointments, dropping off forgotten lunches, teacher meetings.....would be another massive deterrent to shooters......
If they arm support staff then support staff can stand at the end of the hallway and wait for someone to take command just like the police did in Uvalde.

Arm teachers. They're in the room where the shooter would be. They're going to get shot anyway so there's nothing for them to lose by at least trying to get their gun out and defend their own lives along with those of their students.

Just because their job is to stay in the classroom with their students rather than roaming the facility looking for the shooter does not mean they don't need to be armed.

Any compromise that keeps guns further away from those who will be closest to a potential shooter is a compromise made with the lives of children and is not a good compromise.

A good compromise would be to arm all teachers but allow the same exemption that the Founders proposed for militia duty: any teacher religiously scrupulous of bearing arms, ought to be exempted, upon payment of an equivalent to employ another to bear arms in his stead.

Forum List

Back