George W. Bush wanted to put a 30% tariff on steel imports. Here's what happened

Ted Frazier

Gold Member
Nov 12, 2016
There is always a choice whether or not to comply, if you are willing to accept current consequences for future benefits.

All of a sudden tariffs don't sound as simple and good. Right, Trump supporters?

Right. But neither does staying with the status quo sound like a good idea either. I heard our annual trade deficit with China is $650 billion.

I am willing to take great risks. It's not like those nations who stop doing trade with us are not going to be hurt as well. They may cave.

As far as steel goes --- I have no problem slapping a large tariff on those imports where their governments are subsidizing the prices heavily so they are extremely artificially low. That is a totally unfair competition practice.

"The WTO’s dispute resolution process led to a ruling that unequivocally demanded that the United States cease and desist. President Bush had no choice but to comply, and by 2003 the steel tariff was history."

Trump’s plan to bring back jobs by isolating the US won’t work—but it will start a trade war

All of a sudden tariffs don't sound as simple and good. Right, Trump supporters?

Start a trade war,wtf???????????

We're already losing the trade war to the tune of $800 Billion a year. WAKE THE FUCK UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"The WTO’s dispute resolution process led to a ruling that unequivocally demanded that the United States cease and desist. President Bush had no choice but to comply, and by 2003 the steel tariff was history."

Trump’s plan to bring back jobs by isolating the US won’t work—but it will start a trade war

Trump cant do it and if he started that would be Government interfering with the free market. But I guess everything is cool as long as Trump does it. And when he cant do it, well, thats ok too.

Simple. Bush was a pussy,Trump grabs pussy! He won't comply. :)

Won't comply with what? All the other nations have to do is slap on tariffs on our products. Trump cannot do a thing about that, other than creating an even worse situation. This is not the post world war globe of the '50's when we had the only operating economy. The EU, and many other nations are capable of operating without us. It would cost them, but it would cost us even more. And our economy would crash, perhaps taking down the whole of the world's economy. Or, worse for us, better for them, they may have learned from 2008 and already taken steps to isolate their economy from ours. The other nations in the TTP don't need us in that pack. And China and Russia both gain from our absence.

Forum List

Back