George Orwell wanna-be's among us?

taichiliberal

Rookie
Aug 11, 2010
Recently, I've come across a disturbing (at least to me) trend emerging. Some Human Resource offices for companies, along with some personnel agencies request that an applicant supply their FaceBook page link as part of the application form for a job/position.

Now sad to say I've been around the block with regards to the job hunt situation more than once in the last 30 years. But there is a positive learning experience from any situation....and one thing I learned is that even during a face to face interview, a potential employer DOES NOT ask about your private life (unless you're applying for high finance or security job). It's a job interview, NOT dating service or party invitation.

I see this as part of the trend by people who feel totally "empowered" by the economic caste system that has been growing since Ronal Reagan's "trickle down" policies took root. Back in the day, employer's were looking for capable employee's who are competant, have manner's and an 8th of a brain when dealing with clients/customers. Now, with a lousy economy, it's a buyer's market, and people like me are more like "cattle" than human beings. So now it's what, if an employer doesn't like your taste in music or friends, you're out of the running for the position offered? I think these people have been watching too many episodes of "Downton Abbey".

Apropo to this, some potential employer's are looking at applicant's financial situation? Since the whole point of seeking a job is to IMPROVE your financial situation, what's to know? I mean damn, it's bad enough that these "credit score" companies determine a large portion of our lives by literally spying on your financial doings....now employer's are getting in on the scam! So the "logic" is now that the employer has to want to hang out with you and you have to be financially solvent to the point where you don't need a job right away to be considered for hiring?

What a crock! When will these clowns learn? This "we would be kings" attitude has already lead to the worse financial situation since the depression....and if you keep squeezing the public like this, the push-back will make 1968 look like an Occupied Wall St. protest....if they don't kill each other in a greed fest for the world's resources. Just saying.

Last edited:
Recently, I've come across a disturbing (at least to me) trend emerging. Some Human Resource offices for companies, along with some personnel agencies request that an applicant supply their FaceBook page link as part of the application form for a job/position.

Now sad to say I've been around the block with regards to the job hunt situation more than once in the last 30 years. But there is a positive learning experience from any situation....and one thing I learned is that even during a face to face interview, a potential employer DOES NOT ask about your private life (unless you're applying for high finance or security job). It's a job interview, NOT dating service or party invitation.

I see this as part of the trend by people who feel totally "empowered" by the economic caste system that has been growing since Ronal Reagan's "trickle down" policies took root. Back in the day, employer's were looking for capable employee's who are competant, have manner's and an 8th of a brain when dealing with clients/customers. Now, with a lousy economy, it's a buyer's market, and people like me are more like "cattle" than human beings. So now it's what, if an employer doesn't like your taste in music or friends, you're out of the running for the position offered? I think these people have been watching too many episodes of "Downton Abbey".

Apropo to this, some potential employer's are looking at applicant's financial situation? Since the whole point of seeking a job is to IMPROVE your financial situation, what's to know? I mean damn, it's bad enough that these "credit score" companies determine a large portion of our lives by literally spying on your financial doings....now employer's are getting in on the scam! So the "logic" is now that the employer has to want to hang out with you and you have to be financially solvent to the point where you don't need a job right away to be considered for hiring?

What a crock! When will these clowns learn? This "we would be kings" attitude has already lead to the worse financial situation since the depression....and if you keep squeezing the public like this, the push-back will make 1968 look like an Occupied Wall St. protest....if they don't kill each other in a greed fest for the world's resources. Just saying.

thats spelled 'competent' btw.......

Let it be a lesson. When you post personal stuff on the internet it's out there for the world and the federal government and the FBI to see. If you are trying to get a job other than flipping burgers or stacking cans in Walmart be prepared for smart employers to try to find out everything they can before they hire your ass.

The internet is public domain.

If you want privacy, mail a letter or make a phone call.

It’s not Orwellian unless there’s government involvement.

Otherwise employers may hire based on any capricious criteria, provided there are no violations of Civil Rights law or similar policy.

But given the December 2007 recession and its aftermath, employers should at least allow qualified candidates to explain troubled financial backgrounds. For example, that one lost his job through no fault of his own and was out of work for 18 months forcing him to declare bankruptcy or suffer a foreclosure is a universe apart from some irresponsible nitwit maxing out his credit cards and refusing to pay.

"thats" LOL.

• Banned

I stand corrected. Anything else regarding the actually message of the post?

"thats" LOL.

A wry catch .... Anything else regarding the actually message of the post?

Let it be a lesson. When you post personal stuff on the internet it's out there for the world and the federal government and the FBI to see. If you are trying to get a job other than flipping burgers or stacking cans in Walmart be prepared for smart employers to try to find out everything they can before they hire your ass.

I can see if you're trying to hire on to the SEC or the FBI....but for some commercial company? If they want to waste time and money doing a security check...have at it. But again, WTF is the point other than some petty BS to make people think they're creating a controlled environment based on a caste system? The WORLD functioned quite well before all this crap.

The internet is public domain.

If you want privacy, mail a letter or make a phone call.

The internet may be "public domain", but it contains many websites that option for "private information" (purchases, correspondence, etc). There is no excuse for hackers....period.

Again, the world functioned quite well before these owners and bosses suddenly decided they wanted to play Lord of the manor and have people prostrate themselves before them and open up their entire lives. After a while, Americans just get tired of that type of crap.

It’s not Orwellian unless there’s government involvement.

Otherwise employers may hire based on any capricious criteria, provided there are no violations of Civil Rights law or similar policy.

But given the December 2007 recession and its aftermath, employers should at least allow qualified candidates to explain troubled financial backgrounds. For example, that one lost his job through no fault of his own and was out of work for 18 months forcing him to declare bankruptcy or suffer a foreclosure is a universe apart from some irresponsible nitwit maxing out his credit cards and refusing to pay.

Newsflash: the government allows for companies to rate your "credit score" without your permission...so the Orwellian boat has already sailed.

For decades, you filled out an application which could ask for former employer phone numbers, references, etc. The ONLY information they are legally in need of is whether you were a good employee. If they wanted to check for criminal record, a run of your name, address and Soc. Sec. number with various state and federal police would do the trick.

WTF would a commerical employer need to know about your personal finances if you're applying for a administrative assistant position? If you're applying for a job, you're doing it to get paid! As long as your personal financial life does NOT interfere with the performance of your duties, it's none of the employer's business. That's what the first 3 months are for...to make sure you're a solid employee.

There is NO excuse or justification for this crap outside of some arrogant idea that "we are the bosses, we can do whatever we want".

I've noticed this too. We may have already reached the point where not having Facebook or Twitter is grounds for not hiring someone. Worse, the government randomly looks at Facebook/Twitter, failure to maintain an account might be suspicious conduct all by itself. What are you hiding anyway?

Last edited:
I've noticed this too. We may have already reached the point where not having Facebook or Twitter is grounds for not hiring someone. Worse, the government randomly looks at Facebook/Twitter, failure to maintain an account might be suspicious conduct all by itself. What are you hiding anyway?

Tell me about it....anyone defending this shit obviously knows nothing of the history of East Germany under the Stasi.

Forum List

Back