Geo Food Politics

1+1=2

If food went up in Mex b/c they switched to corn for fuel, and it got so bad they rioted.

It would be an example of what would/could happen here if we did the same.

Riots? REALLY? Do you HONESTLY believe American citizens care that much?

Are you saying American are above rioting?

Katriana, the 60's, Watts, come to mind immediatly.

Oh please....you call THAT rioting? Check out Libya, Syria, Iran, et al...to see people who REALLY care about change and that are actually willing to do SOMETHING to effect it...

Oh please....you call THAT rioting? Check out Libya, Syria, Iran, et al...to see people who REALLY care about change and that are actually willing to do SOMETHING to effect it...
Yeah, New York City Civil War Draft Riots. Hooverville Riots, Haymarket Square Riot are comparable to what's going on over there. We've done it too, when we were at a similar level of culture and agitation due to malcontents and cultural stress.

1+1=2

If food went up in Mex b/c they switched to corn for fuel, and it got so bad they rioted.

It would be an example of what would/could happen here if we did the same.

Little thought experiment for you.

1. You go to the grocery store. It is closed and you have very little food in your house. A sign tells you they have shut down for the next 2 months according to a federal order.

2. So you choose to go to a restaurant. Also closed by the same order

3. you go home and inventory your food supply and find you have only 2 weeks left for you and your family.

What will you do? How far are you willing to go to prevent suffering from 6 weeks of no food?

Now this is of course unlikely that the government will shut places like this down. What could happen instead is $25 loaves of bread, $80 for 10 oz of coffee, $120 for a pound of hamburger or lunch meat. It has happened before. In the Confederate States of America, when their dollar collapsed and all they had was CSA dollars, they used to take 100 dollar bills, and cut a slice of bread off the height of the bill (about 2-3.5 inches). The Wiemar republic was worse.

So, how would you act if you were facing these issues? You bet those assholes that are currently beating people to death in McDonalds would kill you if they knew you had food and they didn't. what will your response be if your monthly grocery bill jumps 500% or more? Are you ready to pay $1000 a month for groceries?

Fear mongering? To Me? REALLY?

It's not a coincidence that there is growing civil unrest in areas where: 1) local food production is insufficient to feed the population; 2) inflation is making the scarcity very expensive.

World Food Import Export Ratio

boedicca-albums-more-boedicca-s-stuff-picture3409-world-food-export-import-ratio.jpg

Above is a chart dealing with food self-sufficiency. It is measuring, in calories, (exports-imports)/consumption. Green marks countries with high food self-sufficiency and the scale moves to red, which marks countries poorly able to feed themselves, much less export food (original Net Trade in Food chart).

Anybody following the current unrest in North Africa and the Middle East will immediately note that the area is bathed in red. Add in the percentage of a person's income spent on food and the picture looks even worse. For example, both Spain and Algeria are dark red, yet the Spanish spend only 14.6% of their incomes on food, while Algerians spend a whopping 44% on food.

That means that if World food prices go up they'll cut into the discretionary spending of the Spanish, while they'll cut to the bone in places like Algeria.

The Chinese are having a crop failure, but they have money to buy food imports. That, and the increasing transport costs due to rising oil prices, means that the price of food will go up. This does not bode well for stability of any post demonstration/revolution Middle Eastern and North African governments. I think it will almost certainly extend the instability of an already unstable region. ...

The way to a man's heart

And check out the photos here (and note the horrifying packaged and prepared (predigested) food of Westernized diets):

Fresh Pics: What People Eat Around The World

So what does this all mean. For starters:

1. The world is going to be a turbulent place due to scarcity and inflation (finally Paul Ehrlich can be happy).

2. The USA is indebted to China. China needs more food. Watch for increased exports from the USA to China, and an acceleration in USA food inflation.

3. The Obamanoids and the Feds will continue to ignore food inflation while the lower and middle classes are squeezed.

4. The ongoing federal deficit spending will not resonate well in 2012 as people see their own grocery bills ballooning and are faced with painful decisions (gas for car vs. food).

let em eat cake
What we're getting out of the White House from FL-MO is "Let them eat organic Arugula." Gotta love Marie Obamanette.

Little thought experiment for you.

1. You go to the grocery store. It is closed and you have very little food in your house. A sign tells you they have shut down for the next 2 months according to a federal order.

2. So you choose to go to a restaurant. Also closed by the same order

3. you go home and inventory your food supply and find you have only 2 weeks left for you and your family.

What will you do? How far are you willing to go to prevent suffering from 6 weeks of no food?

Now this is of course unlikely that the government will shut places like this down. What could happen instead is $25 loaves of bread, $80 for 10 oz of coffee, $120 for a pound of hamburger or lunch meat. It has happened before. In the Confederate States of America, when their dollar collapsed and all they had was CSA dollars, they used to take 100 dollar bills, and cut a slice of bread off the height of the bill (about 2-3.5 inches). The Wiemar republic was worse.

So, how would you act if you were facing these issues? You bet those assholes that are currently beating people to death in McDonalds would kill you if they knew you had food and they didn't. what will your response be if your monthly grocery bill jumps 500% or more? Are you ready to pay $1000 a month for groceries?

Fear mongering? To Me? REALLY?
True true... cluelessness does grant a certain level of peace of mind.

But for once, try to expand your intellectual capacity and consider it honestly. You found one nut, blind squirrel. I thought for a second maybe you got your sight back.

It's not a coincidence that there is growing civil unrest in areas where: 1) local food production is insufficient to feed the population; 2) inflation is making the scarcity very expensive.

World Food Import Export Ratio

boedicca-albums-more-boedicca-s-stuff-picture3409-world-food-export-import-ratio.jpg

Above is a chart dealing with food self-sufficiency. It is measuring, in calories, (exports-imports)/consumption. Green marks countries with high food self-sufficiency and the scale moves to red, which marks countries poorly able to feed themselves, much less export food (original Net Trade in Food chart).

Anybody following the current unrest in North Africa and the Middle East will immediately note that the area is bathed in red. Add in the percentage of a person's income spent on food and the picture looks even worse. For example, both Spain and Algeria are dark red, yet the Spanish spend only 14.6% of their incomes on food, while Algerians spend a whopping 44% on food.

That means that if World food prices go up they'll cut into the discretionary spending of the Spanish, while they'll cut to the bone in places like Algeria.

The Chinese are having a crop failure, but they have money to buy food imports. That, and the increasing transport costs due to rising oil prices, means that the price of food will go up. This does not bode well for stability of any post demonstration/revolution Middle Eastern and North African governments. I think it will almost certainly extend the instability of an already unstable region. ...

The way to a man's heart

And check out the photos here (and note the horrifying packaged and prepared (predigested) food of Westernized diets):

Fresh Pics: What People Eat Around The World

So what does this all mean. For starters:

1. The world is going to be a turbulent place due to scarcity and inflation (finally Paul Ehrlich can be happy).

2. The USA is indebted to China. China needs more food. Watch for increased exports from the USA to China, and an acceleration in USA food inflation.

3. The Obamanoids and the Feds will continue to ignore food inflation while the lower and middle classes are squeezed.

4. The ongoing federal deficit spending will not resonate well in 2012 as people see their own grocery bills ballooning and are faced with painful decisions (gas for car vs. food).

let em eat cake

Not attempting to hijack the thread but I'll be willing to bet sport you have utterly no idea what the context of that saying means nor I doubt do yo have any idea when, where or why it came about.

Yeah, New York City Civil War Draft Riots. Hooverville Riots, Haymarket Square Riot are comparable to what's going on over there. We've done it too, when we were at a similar level of culture and agitation due to malcontents and cultural stress.

NY draft riots = +/- 120 killed.

Hooverville = was basically a camp in and mild protest, with 2 killed.

Hay Market = 2-6 killed.

THESE are your examples to compare against REAL people who want change?

Hay Market = 2-6 killed.

I'm sorry, I wasn't able to translate your libberish.

Can you find a point in english you're trying to make? We're too civilized to riot when faced with starvation? Too educated? Too rich?

Is that the point you're trying to make?

Hay Market = 2-6 killed.

Can you find a point in english you're trying to make? We're too civilized to riot when faced with starvation? Too educated? Too rich?

Yes, Americans, as a people are too soft and too comfortable to care enough to effect change. There will be NO riots. Hell, we can't even get the majority of eligible voters to pull a frickin' lever, and you want to talk riots???? What planet do you live on?

Do you actually think that the only thing we should be worried about regarding rampant food inflation is rioting, and in the absence of such, There Is No Problem?

Wow.

This country produces WAY more food than we can readily consume. I believe it's at 1000 calories more than the already bloated 2200 calories per person maximum. You can thank corn and soybean subsidies for that.... and for obesity and every other disease of the western diet. We are the only culture whose diet makes us fat AND malnourished at the same time. But big agra gets their huge profits as well as billions in welfare. American stupidity at its finest...

United States Corn Subsidies || EWG Farm Subsidy Database
The Way We Live Now: The Great Yellow Hype | Michael Pollan

Hay Market = 2-6 killed.

Yes, Americans, as a people are too soft and too comfortable to care enough to effect change. There will be NO riots. Hell, we can't even get the majority of eligible voters to pull a frickin' lever, and you want to talk riots???? What planet do you live on?
Oh you are shitting me.

You think the fat and happy will be that way when you take away the opiates of the masses (namely cheap food and entertainment)?

You're a bigger idiot than I realized.

When people are cold, hungry and bored... they get very angry. And currently, this administration's policies, along with the damage caused by the fed and the Pelosi congress.... these results are guaranteed.

Oh you are shitting me.

You think the fat and happy will be that way when you take away the opiates of the masses (namely cheap food and entertainment)?

When people are cold, hungry and bored... they get very angry. And currently, this administration's policies, along with the damage caused by the fed and the Pelosi congress.... these results are guaranteed.

Guaranteed, eh? Care to make a wager on that? Oh, and just so you know "very angry" to me means more than spouting off on a keyboard, or carrying racist signs in some park (provided to them by our government).

Oh you are shitting me.

Guaranteed, eh? Care to make a wager on that? Oh, and just so you know "very angry" to me means more than spouting off on a keyboard, or carrying racist signs in some park (provided to them by our government).
Well, if unchecked in 2012 and by the republican house, (which is far from a sure thing) yes. This will happen.

We are 12-48 hours away from mass chaos. The higher the population density, the quicker it is reached. If power goes out, or food stops, that's all the time you have left to get the hell out of the way. I've listened to interviews with experts on disasters (natural and manmade) that have pointed time and time again to that is all the hold 'civilization' has on even the most civilized before we revert to more base attitudes and methods.

Do some research on how humans act when their food source dries up and how fast they turn on one another. God forbid the power goes out too.

Oh you are shitting me.

Well, if unchecked in 2012 and by the republican house, (which is far from a sure thing) yes. This will happen.

We are 12-48 hours away from mass chaos. The higher the population density, the quicker it is reached. If power goes out, or food stops, that's all the time you have left to get the hell out of the way. I've listened to interviews with experts on disasters (natural and manmade) that have pointed time and time again to that is all the hold 'civilization' has on even the most civilized before we revert to more base attitudes and methods.

Do some research on how humans act when their food source dries up and how fast they turn on one another. God forbid the power goes out too.

I can't even imagine what it must be like for you people who are afraid of everything all of the time. Sucks to be you....

mayhem_diaz.jpg

I can't even imagine what it must be like for you people who are afraid of everything all of the time. Sucks to be you....

mayhem_diaz.jpg
It's called Realism, Salvador. I'll leave you to your Surrealism.

175px-Dali_Allan_Warren.jpg

mayhem_diaz.jpg
It's called Realism, Salvador. I'll leave you to your Surrealism.

175px-Dali_Allan_Warren.jpg

Its pretty damn funny seeing these folks denying there would be riots when every time the left get's together they end up burning down or destroying some city at the slightest pretense.

If the price of food and energy continues to climb the way it has been it will not take long at all for riots to breakout over the cost.

wow, ok

Just to clarify; When I asked; Are you saying Americans are above rioting? I was trying to imply that rioting is a bad thing.

Protesting great
Rioting bad

FYI; some of those rioters raped women as they did so, stole from anything that was open, set things on fire for fun.

It's true, Americans are not above rioting, but it's not a common threat b/c we are better than that.

we the people are tired . fuck you .
you know that "charity " is best done by government < that way bigots like you would only support hate groups .

you know how much money was waisted by "selebreties giveing to countries in trouble ? not a hole penny went to the people . our military gave out water food medican and shelter .

the prive crap rotted on shore . that that made it that fare .

ofcxourse wqhen a repig is in charge you get Lawesana and katreena
but then ass wipes like you are against any charity .

Forum List

Back