Genealogy! And knowing who you are~

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
A few weeks ago when I went on vacation, the one when I met Si Modo, I also did something I had wanted to do for years. I traced my steps back to my original ancestor in the US. He was quite interesting, a loyalist who worked for the crown, a land owner, merchant, lawyer, statesman, and military man. He was on the Virginia Register, had a son who became part of a rebellion against the crown 100 years before the Declaration. On down the line, there was a descendant of his who was an American Revolutionary. I knew enough about him, but I wanted to know what made him tick. I think I found that on my trip. I won't say who he was or tell more, because I think it could blow my anonymity, what there is left of it anyway. If you ever get the chance to trace your roots, I encourage you to do so. It is an incredible high just to know who you are.

And I got to meet Si Modo on the trip.

Last edited:
Sounds like a working vacation. Good job. :thup:

I'd have to travel to Germany, Austria, England, Slovenia, and Australia to find out the nitty-gritty.
I don't even have a passport.

Are you planning another vacation? I could give you what particulars I have. :D

Sounds like a working vacation. Good job. :thup:

I'd have to travel to Germany, Austria, England, Slovenia, and Australia to find out the nitty-gritty.
I don't even have a passport.

Are you planning another vacation? I could give you what particulars I have. :D

Try the genealofy websites. I traced my other side back to 1200 AD.

It's very interesting. Branches of my family tree can be traced back to the 1300's in England. I come from a long line of preachers,One of my ancestors was involved in the Salem Witch Trials,one was Deputy Governor of MA in the 1600's, I have common ancestry with Ralph Waldo Emerson, and have Wampanoag Indian blood.

I never cared about my ancestry.

Really who gives a shit if a dead guy you never met was related to you?

I never cared about my ancestry.

Really who gives a shit if a dead guy you never met was related to you?

I wish I could have met him.

I have a neighbor who said he wishes he knew more about his ancestry. Said he doesn't even know his great grandparents names. That's coming to America. We sort of gave it all up to be Americans. They don't do that so much these days.

A few weeks ago when I went on vacation, the one when I met Si Modo, I also did something I had wanted to do for years. I traced my steps back to my original ancestor in the US. He was quite interesting, a loyalist who worked for the crown, a land owner, merchant, lawyer, statesman, and military man. He was on the Virginia Register, had a son who became part of a rebellion against the crown 100 years before the Declaration. On down the line, there was a descendant of his who was an American Revolutionary. I knew enough about him, but I wanted to know what made him tick. I think I found that on my trip. I won't say who he was or tell more, because I think it could blow my anonymity, what there is left of it anyway. If you ever get the chance to trace your roots, I encourage you to do so. It is an incredible high just to know who you are.

And I got to meet Si Modo on the trip.

You are Sunshine Washington, aren't you ?

I've posted one of my ancestors before. This guy: Richard Lee I - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyone here related to me? :D

Probably so... :)

I did a fair amount of genealogical research a few years ago through Ancestry.com...

one of the cool things about the site is that, once you get to a certain point laying out your lines, they start telling you which famous persons you’re related to, and how close the relationship is (e.g., “sixth cousin, twice removed”)...

as it turns out, I’m related to quite a few presidents and presidents’ wives, among other notable folks...

after quite a few such revelations in the research, it occurred to me that such familial connections to famous people are probably not all that uncommon...

which led me to conclude all us of Western European descent are probably related to each other on the order of around sixth-to-eighth cousins, if not closer...

btw, during conversations with tinydancer, I happened to mention that me and Patrick Swayze were cousins (my mom’s mother was a Swayze, and I knew of the connection to Patrick well before I did the Ancestry.com research)... turns out that tinydancer, too, is descended from the same Swayze family as me and Patrick... how cool is that...?!

Last edited:
I’ve been able to trace a few of my lines as far back as the 800-900’s...

some of the more interesting things I’ve found in my research (from either Ancestry.com or other sources):

most all of my lines (on both my mother’s and father’s side) first arrived and settled in the Carolinas in the 1600’s and made their way to the Louisiana/ Mississippi area in the 1700’s... but it appears that the lines on my mother’s side and the lines on my father’s side were completely unaware of each other, and had no connection until my mother and father met...

I’m descended from the first Protestant minister (a Swayze) to set foot on the west side of the Mississippi...

my g-g-g-g-g-grandfather, Peter Bryan Bruin, an officer in the Revolutionary War who, while being held on a British POW ship, survived a bout of smallpox, settled in the Natchez area after the war and was appointed to be a magistrate in the western Mississippi territory by the Spanish governor... he kept that position after the US took over the area... but was removed from that position later in his life for displaying drunkenness on the bench... during his tenure as magistrate, Bruin happened to have his personal friend Aaron Burr as a guest in his home in Natchez at the time treason charges were being brought up against Burr for treason...

I’m a direct descendant of Geoffrey Chaucer, Robert the Bruce, and a coupla folks who came over on the Mayflower... as well as the younger brother of the ancient king upon whom the Arthurian legend is based...

my middle name (Magruder) goes back to a side of my family that was once a part of the MacGregor clan, but had to change their name in disgrace and go off in exile for having incited insurrection against the Scottish king at the time...

btw, I also did some research into my wife’s family... and, lo and behold, this li’l Cajun gal (daughter of a grocer from bum-fuck Mamou, Louisiana) is descended from Charlemagne...

I traced my geneology all the way back to a man-ape that figured out how to use a bone as a weapon after he touched a black monolith.

So there!

I’ve been able to trace a few of my lines as far back as the 800-900’s...

some of the more interesting things I’ve found in my research (from either Ancestry.com or other sources):

most all of my lines (on both my mother’s and father’s side) first arrived and settled in the Carolinas in the 1600’s and made their way to the Louisiana/ Mississippi area in the 1700’s... but it appears that the lines on my mother’s side and the lines on my father’s side were completely unaware of each other, and had no connection until my mother and father met...

I’m descended from the first Protestant minister (a Swayze) to set foot on the west side of the Mississippi...

my g-g-g-g-g-grandfather, Peter Bryan Bruin, an officer in the Revolutionary War who, while being held on a British POW ship, survived a bout of smallpox, settled in the Natchez area after the war and was appointed to be a magistrate in the western Mississippi territory by the Spanish governor... he kept that position after the US took over the area... but was removed from that position later in his life for displaying drunkenness on the bench... during his tenure as magistrate, Bruin happened to have his personal friend Aaron Burr as a guest in his home in Natchez at the time treason charges were being brought up against Burr for treason...

I’m a direct descendant of Geoffrey Chaucer, Robert the Bruce, and a coupla folks who came over on the Mayflower... as well as the younger brother of the ancient king upon whom the Arthurian legend is based...

my middle name (Magruder) goes back to a side of my family that was once a part of the MacGregor clan, but had to change their name in disgrace and go off in exile for having incited insurrection against the Scottish king at the time...

btw, I also did some research into my wife’s family... and, lo and behold, this li’l Cajun gal (daughter of a grocer from bum-fuck Mamou, Louisiana) is descended from Charlemagne...

The McGregor's also massacred a clan. Historically it is couched in terms of them wanting the land on Loch Lomond. However, I believe they had been fighting over it for some time before the massacre occurred. The remaining women paraded the bloody clothes in front of the king. That was part of it. But I'm told McGregor is, today, a popular name in Scotland.

I have a friend who is descendants are the 'Bacons.' I have encouraged her to check for more than just lineal descendants as some think that Shakespeare was actually Sir Francis Bacon, who would have been killed in that day for writing the things he did and adopted a pseudonym.

There is also a famous explorer in my family, but I'm not a lineal descendant, he would just be a cousin ever how many times removed.

I know a lot of people who say they are descendants of nobility. Likely many here do as only the first sons could inherit and the second sons came here to make their fortunes.

Last edited:
I didn't feel like traipsing all over the planet finding my roots, so I paid a "psychic" 50 bucks and she told me I was a reincarnated King of Atlantis.

So there!

I joined Scientology and traced my geneology all the way back to a clam.

So there!

Forum List

Back