Geithner 'open' to global currency???????????????

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
WTF is this????

Ben Smith's Blog: Geithner 'open' to China proposal - POLITICO.com

Geithner 'open' to China proposal

Geithner, at the Council on Foreign Relations, said the U.S. is "open" to a headline-grabbing proposal by the governor of the China's central bank, which was widely reported as being a call for a new global currency to replace the dollar, but which Geithner described as more modest and "evolutionary."
"I haven’t read the governor’s proposal. He’s a very thoughtful, very careful distinguished central banker. I generally find him sensible on every issue," Geithner said, saying that however his interpretation of the proposal was to increase the use of International Monetary Fund's special drawing rights -- shares in the body held by its members -- not creating a new currency in the literal sense.

"We’re actually quite open to that suggestion – you should see it as rather evolutionary rather building on the current architecture rather than moving us to global monetary union," he said.
"The only thing concrete I saw was expanding the use of the [special drawing rights]," Geithner said. "Anything he’s thinking about deserves some consideration."
The continued use of the dollar as a reserve currency, he added, "depends..on how effective we are in the United States...at getting our fiscal system back to the point where people judge it as sustainable over time."
President Obama flatly rejected the notion of a new global currency at last night's press conference.
UPDATE: Evidently sensing a gaffe, moderator Roger Altman told Geithner that it would be "useful" to retun to the question, and asked if he foresaw a change in the dollar's centrality.
"I do not," Geithner said, adding several forceful promises, including, "We will do what's necessary to say we're sustaining confidence in our financial markets."

go to cnbc.com and hear the entire quote. he was highly misquoted by politico.

Last edited:
We shouldn't be surprised that the CHiCOmms are looking to dump the dollar, they seem to be the only ones who understand economic nowadays.

The dollar and anyone that uses it is so screwed.

Imagine when all the demand for this good goes away, how worthless it'll be.

$5 for gas will be the "good days" :X

I would like to thank everyone who voted for Obama. YOU REALLY SCREWED UP THIS TIME!

because McCain was an economic genius?

GOP puts up Romney or someone who can read a balance sheet, and they'll get my vote back

Obama and McCain were not the only two running for President. However, it's beginning to look more and more like McCain would have been the lesser of the two evils.

I would like to thank everyone who voted for Obama. YOU REALLY SCREWED UP THIS TIME!

GOP puts up Romney or someone who can read a balance sheet, and they'll get my vote back

Obama and McCain were not the only two running for President. However, it's beginning to look more and more like McCain would have been the lesser of the two evils.

That was why I voted for him.

WTF is this????

Geithner, at the Council on Foreign Relations, said the U.S. is "open" to a headline-grabbing proposal by the governor of the China's central bank, which was widely reported as being a call for a new global currency to replace the dollar, but which Geithner described as more modest and "evolutionary."
"I haven’t read the governor’s proposal. He’s a very thoughtful, very careful distinguished central banker. I generally find him sensible on every issue," Geithner said, saying that however his interpretation of the proposal was to increase the use of International Monetary Fund's special drawing rights -- shares in the body held by its members -- not creating a new currency in the literal sense.

"We’re actually quite open to that suggestion – you should see it as rather evolutionary rather building on the current architecture rather than moving us to global monetary union," he said.
"The only thing concrete I saw was expanding the use of the [special drawing rights]," Geithner said. "Anything he’s thinking about deserves some consideration."
The continued use of the dollar as a reserve currency, he added, "depends..on how effective we are in the United States...at getting our fiscal system back to the point where people judge it as sustainable over time."
President Obama flatly rejected the notion of a new global currency at last night's press conference.
UPDATE: Evidently sensing a gaffe, moderator Roger Altman told Geithner that it would be "useful" to retun to the question, and asked if he foresaw a change in the dollar's centrality.
"I do not," Geithner said, adding several forceful promises, including, "We will do what's necessary to say we're sustaining confidence in our financial markets."

change we can believe in.

He'd also probably be the deader of two evils. That'd leave us with the "Disasta from Alaska," who'd drive the economy into the ground like a wounded caribou.

He'd also probably be the deader of two evils. That'd leave us with the "Disasta from Alaska," who'd drive the economy into the ground like a wounded caribou.

McCain's mother is 94 years old.

McCain's mother is 94 years old.
Yeah, and McCain's about one senile dementia diagnosis behind her. The guy was too old.

The only candidate running who saw all of these problems coming was Ron Paul, and he's the only one with an idea of what to do about it.

The only candidate running who saw all of these problems coming was Ron Paul, and he's the only one with an idea of what to do about it.

winning requires a combination of :

1 - parroting popular opinion ( regardless of how far it is from reality )

2 - bending over for special interests ( wall street, Zionists & military-industrial complex, unions etc )

if you're like Ron Paul who simply states the obvious truths you will get NOWHERE. the system is set up to ensure that. Chomsky explained it pretty good.

Last edited:
WTF is this????

I support that, fully. It is EXTREMELY costly to business to have to deal with exchange rates in contracts. Enormous wastes of capital tied up in hedging contracts in international trade. IF we had a constant, single global currency, global business wouldn;'t have to fool with this idiocy of 200-300+ currencies....

Forum List

Back