Gay Marriage Fails In Maine

No, the voters simply did not approve of same sex marriage and let their voices be heard. We have had Obama reminding us that he and the party of hypocrisy won last year so they will decide what we want whether we like it or not. This time voters got to decide for themselves.
so they are deciding for other people what is right? got it!
So you are alright with a majority deciding what a minority can and cannot do?

So you are ok with a minority telling a Majority what they can and can not do?

You may want to take some classes on Government. The majority in a Democracy always tells the minority what is right and wrong in that Country.

pretty sure the majority already can marry and gays are not trying to deny them a right.

You may want to take some classes on Government. The majority in a Democracy always tells the minority what is right and wrong in that Country.

pretty sure the majority already can marry and gays are not trying to deny them a right.

Gays have the exact same right as everyone else, to marry someone of a different sex then them. There is no RIGHT for a man to marry a man or a woman to marry a woman. That would be the whole point of the voting on it. To establish if the majority wish to now create that privilege ( notice I did not say RIGHT).

That is how Government works in a Democracy. The majority make most of the rules with a few set aside as unchangeable.

Did the majority vote on giving african american equal rights?

FAIL, comparing the right of a gay to marry a same sex partner with slavery is beyond idiotic. And no the majority voted on the battle field on that one.
no talking about slavery, I am talking about the civil rights movenment! Which was passed by legislation not a popular vote.

Did the majority vote on giving african american equal rights?

FAIL, comparing the right of a gay to marry a same sex partner with slavery is beyond idiotic. And no the majority voted on the battle field on that one.
no talking about slavery, I am talking about the civil rights movenment! Which was passed by legislation not a popular vote.

Same difference, in this Country we elect representatives to vote for us. So when the majority in a Legislative Body create , pass and get signed a new law it is just like a referendum.

You REALLY need to take some Government classes.

Last edited:
No, the voters simply did not approve of same sex marriage and let their voices be heard. We have had Obama reminding us that he and the party of hypocrisy won last year so they will decide what we want whether we like it or not. This time voters got to decide for themselves.

in Maine, the minority would never try to tell the majority what they can or cannot do. If the majority of Mainers don't want to marry someone of the same gender, no one would ever tell them that they must do so. Similarly, the minority would never tell the majority of Mainers that they could NOT marry someone of the opposite sex.

Same difference, in this Country we elect representatives to vote for us. So when the majority in a Legislative Body create , pass and get signed a new law it is just like a referendum.

The vote yesterday repealed a law passed this spring by the maine state legislature and signed into law by the governor of maine.

WHO needs to take a class?

in Maine, the minority would never try to tell the majority what they can or cannot do. If the majority of Mainers don't want to marry someone of the same gender, no one would ever tell them that they must do so. Similarly, the minority would never tell the majority of Mainers that they could NOT marry someone of the opposite sex.

And yet the Law was defeated. SO in fact the Majority IS telling that tiny minority they can not marry same sex. Ohh and that would be IN MAINE.

You two keep thinking you can be cute by switching around what is said. It is simple. Gay marriage is NOT a right. In order for same sex marriage a law must be passed. And if it is a State that allows Referendums on new Laws that law must be upheld by the MAJORITY of voters.

Maine's Majority spoke, they repelled same sex marriage.

Now if you losers follow California's lead you will attempt to negate a valid legal vote by using the Courts and find some Liberal Judge to make law from the Bench.

And yet the Law was defeated. SO in fact the Majority IS telling that tiny minority they can not marry same sex. Ohh and that would be IN MAINE.

You two keep thinking you can be cute by switching around what is said. It is simple. Gay marriage is NOT a right. In order for same sex marriage a law must be passed. And if it is a State that allows Referendums on new Laws that law must be upheld by the MAJORITY of voters.

Maine's Majority spoke, they repelled same sex marriage.

Now if you losers follow California's lead you will attempt to negate a valid legal vote by using the Courts and find some Liberal Judge to make law from the Bench.

are you getting dizzy yet?:razz:

The vote yesterday repealed a law passed this spring by the maine state legislature and signed into law by the governor of maine.

You obviously do, you see, obviously in Maine they have a referendum system to repel laws the Majority actually do not support. That is part of the Government of Maine. Aren't you from Maine? Seems you would actually know your own Government system.

You obviously do, you see, obviously in Maine they have a referendum system to repel laws the Majority actually do not support. That is part of the Government of Maine. Aren't you from Maine? Seems you would actually know your own Government system.

which leads back to the civil rights act.... doesn't it? the legislature SHOULD pass acts that protect equality and that should NEVER be left to the tyranny of the majority. If we as a nation had done so with civil rights, blacks would never have gotten equal rights under the law.

which leads back to the civil rights act.... doesn't it? the legislature SHOULD pass acts that protect equality and that should NEVER be left to the tyranny of the majority. If we as a nation had done so with civil rights, blacks would never have gotten equal rights under the law.

You do not like your Government? Create an amendment to your Constitution and remove the Referendum process. As to the Federal Level there is no Referendum Process. So your argument holds no water there and does not negate my recommendation that someone learn how their Government actually works.

And once again comparing racism to gay marriage is a FAIL from the start.

You do not like your Government? Create an amendment to your Constitution and remove the Referendum process. As to the Federal Level there is no Referendum Process. So your argument holds no water there and does not negate my recommendation that someone learn how their Government actually works.

I am not comparing racism to gay marriage. I am comparing equal rights to equal rights and that comparison is absolutely on the mark.

and it didn't pass this time, but it will, soon enough...

and you may be right... we may very well need to take this issue of equal rights under the law away from the mob and give it to the courts to decide.

I would be fine with that.

I am not comparing racism to gay marriage. I am comparing equal rights to equal rights and that comparison is absolutely on the mark.

and you may be right... we may very well need to take this issue of equal rights under the law away from the mob and give it to the courts to decide.

Gay marriage is not a Right.

By GLENN ADAMS and DAVID CRARY, Associated Press Writers Glenn Adams And David Crary, Associated Press Writers – 19 mins ago

PORTLAND, Maine – Maine voters repealed a state law Tuesday that would have allowed same-sex couples to wed, dealing the gay rights movement a heartbreaking defeat in New England, the corner of the country most supportive of gay marriage.

Gay marriage has now lost in every single state — 31 in all — in which it has been put to a popular vote. Gay-rights activists had hoped to buck that trend in Maine — known for its moderate, independent-minded electorate — and mounted an energetic, well-financed campaign.

Maine voters reject gay-marriage law - Yahoo! News

Link provided to comply with USMB copyright policy. You know better ...

~A15

Well that sucks ass.

This is one of those laws that should not be voted on by the population ... it should have just stayed a law. I agree with Louissa on this matter and her argument including the passage of Civil Rights.

Why?

Because this law has only impact on a certain minority - not anyone else - so why should others, that it obviously doesn't concern, have anything to say about it? The fact that gays could marry will in NO WAY impact heteros' right to marry. Besides all the dumbass religious bullshit, there is no other reason for gays not being able to marry for fuck's sake! Just because somebody thinks it's wrong doesn't mean shit to anyone else!

Let's see how this would apply to the issue of abortion. What if abortion were put up for a vote and let's just theoretically state that the legislation were overturned and abortion were made illegal. Why should the majority have a say over minorities' bodies (in this case women who want to retain their right to abortion)? Why should the majority have the right to determine when life begins? If it ever comes to the majority of Americans being anti-abortion (which I HOPE will never happen), the state should defend the RIGHTS of a woman (minority) to do with her body as she pleases against the stupid egotistic fucks who think that their morality should be imposed on other human beings. Everyone - INDIVIDUALLY (the key word here, folks) should be able to make such moral judgments for themselves and themselves alone.

Kapish?

Every person should be able to choose what is right or wrong in regards to their own bodies/lifestyles. Period. Just like everyone should be able to make a decision whether or not to get married regardless of whether they like pussy or or dick.

(I don't want to bring the issue of abortion up for debate in this thread as I realize it's out of place, I'm just using it in my argument against the repeal of the gay marriage law in Maine.)

Isn't America's most basic an overarching value that of an INDIVIDUAL and his/her right to live their life as they please (as long as they are not harming others in the process)?

That is 100% Correct.

And the only Ruling on it, Basically the Loving Case, Explains it like this:

"Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival..."

How is Homosexual Coupling Fundamental to our very Existence and Survival?...

:)

peace...

that is your opinion. Others do not share it.

If the courts in Maine rule otherwise, then, once again, your opinion won't be worth anything.

Forum List

Back