Gay Marriage Fails In Maine

I am not comparing racism to gay marriage. I am comparing equal rights to equal rights and that comparison is absolutely on the mark.

and it didn't pass this time, but it will, soon enough...

and you may be right... we may very well need to take this issue of equal rights under the law away from the mob and give it to the courts to decide.

I would be fine with that.

Gay marriage is not a Right.

that is your opinion. Others do not share it.

If the courts in Maine rule otherwise, then, once again, your opinion won't be worth anything.

If in one hand and Shit in the other and let me Know which Fills Faster...

:)

peace...

This is doo-doo in my opinion. More and more, lately, I wish we had a society with bare minimum rules. A sick side of me would actually like to become a vigilante, dress up in all black, hide in the alley-ways, and begin piping this new gang called "the goonies" in my neighborhood in their jaws. Wash, rinse, repeat, never get caught because gangsters don't call the cops. ; )

Really? What does the "pursuit of happiness" mean to you?

It's not an Enumerated Right... Hell, it wasn't even Hinted at by the Founders, and the Supreme Court's Quote is in my Previous Post.

You can Apply what you just Quoted to Justify just about anything.

How is Homosexual Coupling being Acknowledged in Marriage Fundemental to our very Existence?

peace...

Mal,

Why does something have to be fundamental to be legal? Fundamentals 101: never fade away when you shoot. If fade-aways were illegal, Jordan was irrelevant in the second 3-peat. (drove less, fade-away jumpers more). :(

It's not an Enumerated Right... Hell, it wasn't even Hinted at by the Founders, and the Supreme Court's Quote is in my Previous Post.

How is Homosexual Coupling being Acknowledged in Marriage Fundemental to our very Existence?

peace...

1) I'm not a Yank so enumerated rights mean fuck all to me. Just basic human rights will do. Nothing to do with any laws in any lands..

2) How is it not fundamental to your existence? IOW, who the fuck cares? Start from the point and you might have a point. Outside of that, when you look up the term "bigot", your name is right next to it.....

so they are deciding for other people what is right? got it!
So you are alright with a majority deciding what a minority can and cannot do?

So you are ok with a minority telling a Majority what they can and can not do?

You may want to take some classes on Government. The majority in a Democracy always tells the minority what is right and wrong in that Country.

in Maine, the minority would never try to tell the majority what they can or cannot do. If the majority of Mainers don't want to marry someone of the same gender, no one would ever tell them that they must do so. Similarly, the minority would never tell the majority of Mainers that they could NOT marry someone of the opposite sex.

Really?

You are trying to imply that the majority should not be dictating to the minority with the fallacious argument that the minority would never attempt to do so if the shoe were on the other foot.

So you have no laws at all in Maine?

Here is a sample: no basic speed laws? Everyone can drive whatever the hell speed they want? The speed laws are the majority of people who believe that driving to fast down the streets of a state is unsafe and immoral; therefore, the majority makes the law that says that a driver can only drive at a safe rate of speed regardless of the posted speed limit. Not everyone agrees with the speed laws, but they are there for a good reason.

The majority wins in this country in these cases. Not everyone agrees with the majority, but our laws are decided by the majority in every case that it is put to a vote.

Someone has to make the decision. One side or the other has to make the laws. Not everyone agrees with any particular law that is passed. Are you proposing that we flip flop and let the minority make the decisions? Are you proposing that we not have any laws at all: anarchy? Are you proposing that we let the Governor make all decisions? Or are you proposing that we simply let Maineman make all decisions?

Immie

I am not comparing racism to gay marriage. I am comparing equal rights to equal rights and that comparison is absolutely on the mark.

and it didn't pass this time, but it will, soon enough...

and you may be right... we may very well need to take this issue of equal rights under the law away from the mob and give it to the courts to decide.

I would be fine with that.

It seems to me like it is the opinion of the majority in Maine at least for now.

Immie

It seems to me like it is the opinion of the majority in Maine at least for now.

Immie

and again, Immie... if we had left civil rights to the voters of America, where would we be?

I know that the forces for equal rights in Maine will not give up, and I actually hope that the Maine courts take this issue away from the mob and decide it themselves.

So you are ok with a minority telling a Majority what they can and can not do?

You may want to take some classes on Government. The majority in a Democracy always tells the minority what is right and wrong in that Country.

in Maine, the minority would never try to tell the majority what they can or cannot do. If the majority of Mainers don't want to marry someone of the same gender, no one would ever tell them that they must do so. Similarly, the minority would never tell the majority of Mainers that they could NOT marry someone of the opposite sex.

Really?

You are trying to imply that the majority should not be dictating to the minority with the fallacious argument that the minority would never attempt to do so if the shoe were on the other foot.

So you have no laws at all in Maine?

Here is a sample: no basic speed laws? Everyone can drive whatever the hell speed they want? The speed laws are the majority of people who believe that driving to fast down the streets of a state is unsafe and immoral; therefore, the majority makes the law that says that a driver can only drive at a safe rate of speed regardless of the posted speed limit. Not everyone agrees with the speed laws, but they are there for a good reason.

The majority wins in this country in these cases. Not everyone agrees with the majority, but our laws are decided by the majority in every case that it is put to a vote.

Someone has to make the decision. One side or the other has to make the laws. Not everyone agrees with any particular law that is passed. Are you proposing that we flip flop and let the minority make the decisions? Are you proposing that we not have any laws at all: anarchy? Are you proposing that we let the Governor make all decisions? Or are you proposing that we simply let Maineman make all decisions?

Immie

now...comparing traffic laws to equal rights is silly, don't you think?

and "rights" ought not be left to the majority... see my last post.

peace...

1) I'm not a Yank so enumerated rights mean fuck all to me. Just basic human rights will do. Nothing to do with any laws in any lands..

2) How is it not fundamental to your existence? IOW, who the fuck cares? Start from the point and you might have a point. Outside of that, when you look up the term "bigot", your name is right next to it.....

Since the Facts of our Existence Confuse you, you Resort to calling me a Name in place of a Substantive Argument FOR Homosexuals to be Granted a Special Status in Marriage... :clap2:

peace...

By GLENN ADAMS and DAVID CRARY, Associated Press Writers Glenn Adams And David Crary, Associated Press Writers – 19 mins ago

PORTLAND, Maine – Maine voters repealed a state law Tuesday that would have allowed same-sex couples to wed, dealing the gay rights movement a heartbreaking defeat in New England, the corner of the country most supportive of gay marriage.

Gay marriage has now lost in every single state — 31 in all — in which it has been put to a popular vote. Gay-rights activists had hoped to buck that trend in Maine — known for its moderate, independent-minded electorate — and mounted an energetic, well-financed campaign.

Maine voters reject gay-marriage law - Yahoo! News

Link provided to comply with USMB copyright policy. You know better ...

~A15

Sad....for now.

I know that the forces for equal rights in Maine will not give up, and I actually hope that the Maine courts take this issue away from the mob and decide it themselves.

Americans who don't vote the way you want are a mob?

So you don't like democracy and would rather have a judicial dictatorship rule the country??

Last edited:
By GLENN ADAMS and DAVID CRARY, Associated Press Writers Glenn Adams And David Crary, Associated Press Writers – 19 mins ago

PORTLAND, Maine – Maine voters repealed a state law Tuesday that would have allowed same-sex couples to wed, dealing the gay rights movement a heartbreaking defeat in New England, the corner of the country most supportive of gay marriage.

Gay marriage has now lost in every single state — 31 in all — in which it has been put to a popular vote. Gay-rights activists had hoped to buck that trend in Maine — known for its moderate, independent-minded electorate — and mounted an energetic, well-financed campaign.

Maine voters reject gay-marriage law - Yahoo! News

Link provided to comply with USMB copyright policy. You know better ...

~A15

Sad....for now.

really , sad, why are we straight people obessed with gays?
leave them alone:evil:

Forum List

Back