Gay group questions ‘American Idol’ judges

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
LOL!

NEW YORK - Is “American Idol” homophobic?

The Fox talent show elicited a response from the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLADD) after judges Simon Cowell and Randy Jackson made what the gay rights group deemed questionable comments on last week’s premiere episode.

On Tuesday’s show, seen by a Nielsen-chart topping 35.5 million viewers, Cowell told one male contestant to “wear a dress” and Jackson asked another, “are you a girl?”

“The real offense here was in the producer’s decision to add insult to injury by turning a contestant’s gender expression into the butt of a joke,” said Damon Ramine, a spokesman for GLAAD, in a statement posted on the group’s Web site.

Ramine updated the situation Monday with another statement: “We’ve spoken with Fox and have entered into what we hope will be a productive, ongoing conversation about the show’s representation and discussion of sexual orientation and gender expression.”

A spokesman for “American Idol” said Monday that Fox had no comment.

The popular Fox show, now in its fifth season, airs Tuesdays, 8 p.m. ET.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10994783/?GT1=7538

Why the hell did they assume that freak-of-nature was gay? The guy/girl thing never mentioned it.

And lastly, why the hell should anyone care if anyone else is 'anti-gay' or even 'pro-hetero'?

:)

GLADD - what a bunch of fags.

dmp said:
Why the hell did they assume that freak-of-nature was gay? The guy/girl thing never mentioned it.

And lastly, why the hell should anyone care if anyone else is 'anti-gay' or even 'pro-hetero'?

GLADD - what a bunch of fags.

Such strong language....

One thing I love about Simon Cowell is he’s NOT PC!

I saw this show just last night and I never saw so many flamboyant gays in any season, it was funny as hell. Not because they where gay, but because they couldn’t sing for shit, and that mixed with their flamboyance made it funny.

Now I’m waiting for the NAACP to come out with something about the trash mouth Black girl that made an ass of herself.

Mr. P said:
One thing I love about Simon Cowell is he’s NOT PC!

I saw this show just last night and I never saw so many flamboyant gays in any season, it was funny as hell. Not because they where gay, but because they couldn’t sing for shit, and that mixed with their flamboyance made it funny.

Now I’m waiting for the NAACP to come out with something about the trash mouth Black girl that made an ass of herself.

Simon calls it as he sees it. People need thicker skin if they want to be 'supa-stahs!'

Next, they'll be suing the entire nation of Great Britain, claiming that it's offensive to call the monarch a 'queen,' since it is a derogatory word pointed at homosexuals.

When Simon and Randy put all the "straight" people down why is it only offensive when it is a "gay" person. These people want to throw there way of life in your face and when you say enough, your labeled homophobic!!

How about that we are just sick of it... :finger3:

Mr. P said:
Close to the end..She did look the hooker part, though..

With that big round hard-looking belly popping out, I thought she was about 6-7 months pregnant. But the way girls have their flabby stomachs sticking out today, you can't be sure. God, I hope she wasn't pregnant!

Abbey Normal said:
With that big round hard-looking belly popping out, I thought she was about 6-7 months pregnant. But the way girls have their flabby stomachs sticking out today, you can't be sure. God, I hope she wasn't pregnant!
I noticed that belly too..I can't beleive anyone "Wants" to show that.

one of the auditioners even said that he often is confused for a girl, and Randy was like, "Oh, you're a guy??"

I don't blame him, this kid looked like he stole my 18 y/o sister's body and stuck his head on it...I mean, even the jeans he wore looked like something she would wear...

I loved the one where Simon said the guy looked like the Incredible Hulk's wife!

I also noticed from all the auditions I have watched, the ones who suck and have the biggest attitude when they're rejected (they seriously thought they were good?? :confused: )...tend to sound or act like a limp-wrist... :gay:

Mr. P said:
I noticed that belly too..I can't beleive anyone "Wants" to show that.

hey...i did with my first pregnancy. I liked wearing the maternity summer outfits that showed my belly because I was so proud to have it. I even wore a 2 pc swim suit from the maternity store...I loved showing off my baby-belly. Plus it was one of the hottest summers in a long time, and keeping cool was essential.

This time, I am not due until the weather gets barely warm here, so no go.

but no, if you're not preggers, the ton-o-belly fat sticking out is in no way cute. "Candy-coated" is not bad but the hooker had more than candy-coating...

http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28661

Odd, isn't it, that expressing one's opinion about television content can reflect awareness or coercion - depending on who's doing it? Picture the blood-curdling screams that would ensue if the media ever invited GLAAD to "turn the other cheek - or the channel". I don't even want to think about it!

Not to worry, though - it'll never happen.

musicman said:

Odd, isn't it, that expressing one's opinion about television content can reflect awareness or coercion - depending on who's doing it? Picture the blood-curdling screams that would ensue if the media ever invited GLAAD to "turn the other cheek - or the channel". I don't even want to think about it!

Good point. GLADD should follow the usual liberal advice to turn it off if they don't like it. But as with all kinds of speech, there is a double standard when the left finds something offensive.

musicman said:

Ain't THAT about right.

Forum List

Back