*Gasp* Are the Brits Profiling?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Whatever is the world coming to?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4732465.stm
Searches to target ethnic groups
People from certain ethnic groups are more likely to be stopped and searched on London transport in the wake of the bombings, British Transport Police say.

A force spokesman said communities were not being singled out, but police have to "target the people we think may be involved" in bomb attacks.

The policy has been supported by Home Office minister Hazel Blears.

But Civil rights group Liberty said the move would lead to bombers using people who did not fit the usual profile.

Ms Blears said officers would be acting on descriptions from intelligence sources.

It is going to be young men, not exclusively, but it may be disproportionate when it comes to ethnic groups
British Transport Police spokesman
She told BBC News: "That's absolutely the right thing for the police to do.​

"What it means is if your intelligence in a particular area tells you that you're looking for somebody of a particular description, perhaps with particular clothing on, then clearly you're going to exercise that power in that way."​

She said it was important people were kept informed and those who were stopped were given an explanation.

"I think most ordinary decent people will entirely accept that in terms of their own safety and security," she added.

'Lethal cargo'

But Shami Chakrabarti, chief executive if Liberty, ( http://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk/about/index.shtml)
believes the move plays into the hands of bombers.

She said: "If you search people of a particular race or description while letting others through, it doesn't take long for a terrorist group to learn ways of placing their lethal cargo with those who don't meet the profile."

The transport police spokesman said: "We are not singling out a community - we are after criminals within all communities, so it isn't singling out a community.

"Clearly if we are looking for people and being operationally efficient, we have got to target the people who we think are maybe involved.

"It is going to be disproportionate. It is going to be young men, not exclusively, but it may be disproportionate when it comes to ethnic groups.

"We are very sensitive to the effects that that can have and it isn't an attack on particular communities."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/england/london/4732465.stm

But Civil rights group Liberty said the move would lead to bombers using people who did not fit the usual profile.

Beware of swarthy arabic men dressed like Austin Powers, or wearing blond Beatle wigs.

nucular said:

Beware of swarthy arabic men dressed like Austin Powers, or wearing blond Beatle wigs.

You may mean to be facetious, but I'll take that as an endorsement! :laugh:

Kathianne said:
You may mean to be facetious, but I'll take that as an endorsement! :laugh:

Sure! the concept that they will get people other than themselves to do the terrorism is silly. That John Walker fool is the only example I can think of. Not to say they won't find anyone, but they'll still have to do it themselves most of the time. I don't see Kate Hudson or the guys from Oasis becoming suicide bombers to help them out because they are being profiled.

nucular said:
Sure! the concept that they will get people other than themselves to do the terrorism is silly. That John Walker fool is the only example I can think of. Not to say they won't find anyone, but they'll still have to do it themselves most of the time. I don't see Kate Hudson or the guys from Oasis becoming suicide bombers to help them out because they are being profiled.

No joke. Hey, I had to add the link to Liberty, they didn't bother.

colehart said:
If it looks like a rat, smells like a rat........you get the picture!

Yeah, I did, that's why.

nucular said:

It would be harder to recruit people who do not fit the usual profile. It adds another layer of risk for them and another layer of chances for people to say "no".

Johnny Walker Linds are not born everyday.

I worked in Belfast in the late 80s early 90s.Every morning before we went of on patrol we were given an intelligence briefing telling us who to charlie one on that particular day(charlie one is a stop and search with details taken).One day it would be pregnant women and another could be local tramps.We always targeted known players as well though.Having the profile change daily kept us one step ahead of the players in our area.

taff said:
I worked in Belfast in the late 80s early 90s.Every morning before we went of on patrol we were given an intelligence briefing telling us who to charlie one on that particular day(charlie one is a stop and search with details taken).One day it would be pregnant women and another could be local tramps.We always targeted known players as well though.Having the profile change daily kept us one step ahead of the players in our area.

I think that is standard operating procedure? It's what the police do every day, otherwise they would have to hope they just 'stumbled' across something.

You would think its a standard operating procedure everywhere.However i use the Calais to Dover ferry every 4-6 weeks and guarenteed i will be pulled over by customs officers every trip just because im a single man in a van.Always annoys me as i know im going to get pulled before i reach the customs point.

taff said:
You would think its a standard operating procedure everywhere.However i use the Calais to Dover ferry every 4-6 weeks and guarenteed i will be pulled over by customs officers every trip just because im a single man in a van.Always annoys me as i know im going to get pulled before i reach the customs point.

You probably look suspicious! :laugh:

nucular said:

LOL! :D

You just gave me my big laugh for the day. I can just see it now. Allah Akbar! Yea babie!

Forum List

Back