Gas Prices Still Going Up Got You Down?

Originally posted by Said1
That me reminds my of the bike my ex-husband had years ago. It was a Ninja something or other, and he used to bitch at me for wearing shorts and such when I was on the back. Well, needless to say, I was wearing a skirt one time(I know, how tacky can you get) and I burnt my leg on the exhaust pipe. I never went on that bike without jeans on again - I still have the scar.

even with jeans...here's a photo of a guy who had a very low-speed crash while wearing jeans...

Originally posted by -=d=-
even with jeans...here's a photo of a guy who had a very low-speed crash while wearing jeans...

Occupational hazard. Even with chaps or other leather, you're out there. Goes with the territory - can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen so they say. :p:

However, the one time I did go down, I had my chaps on and judging by how they look, had I not had them on, I would not have been a happy camper. Didn't help my dislocated big toe or sprained ankle and knee though :(

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
Dale Earnhardt always wore an open face helmet. His helmet was not attributed to his death.

Yeah he wore an open face. Makes no difference, you're still wrong.

Earnhardt killed at Daytona
Changing rules to please fans has tragic consequence

February 18, 2001
BY DAVE VAN DYCK
FOXSports.com

Earnhardt meant more to it than just being a champion, and he died of an apparent neck injury while NASCAR takes biting criticism for not doing more to improve safety.

http://www2.foxsports.com/obits/earnhardt/vandy1.sml

It was deduced that the weight of his helmet which contained considerable inertia at 190 mph was what snapped his neck. Although it is still not mandatory, NASCAR "recommends" that drivers wear the new "neck braces" that strap around their torso and has a large wing that comes up behind their head, and then their "HELMET" straps to that, so in the case of an impact, it holds the head from snapping foward or back, and there won't be a repeat of the Dale Earnhardt death.

wow. To say Dale Earnhardt died because he wore a 2? 3?lbs helmet is ludicrous. :(

Full face helmets do NOT limit fields of vision; that is another urban legend. Today's full face helmets offer perhiphreal vision equal to 'not wearing' a helmet.

What full-faced helmets PREVENT is the following:

GRAPHIC PHOTO - I wouldn't let my kids see this; it'll give them nightmares. Don't look if you are squeamish. Contains image of man with severe face trauma

http://images.geekazoids.net/noface_motorcycle.jpg

I have no problem with your opinion about wearing a helmet. It's a matter of choice.

But you're wrong about Dale.

Originally posted by HGROKIT
As a newbie to these boards, I asked that a category be started for this kind of talk - as there seemed to not be one in a logical area elsewhere on the board. Haven't heard back yet.

Rider - I took my bike off :) I will replace it later

DK - the Heritage is a nice bike, mine is the silver/black 2003 Ann. Edition. However, it is not as nice or comfortable as my RK was when riding two up. I am now single so it is not an issue, but when I do have a date, you can notice the ride difference.

Girls, if all you are interested in is the vibrations, save yourself about 20K and...well...never mind :dev3:

One last comment about comraderie - I agree, when I am on a ride, it is amazing how political, religious and economical barriers seem non-existence. All that seems to matter is the common love of the road and the bikes.

I move that cars be banned and everyone rides bikes!

Heritages don't vibrate. They're smooth as a baby's ass. ALL Softails have the balanced engine.

Occupational hazard. Even with chaps or other leather, you're out there. Goes with the territory - can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen so they say. :p:

However, the one time I did go down, I had my chaps on and judging by how they look, had I not had them on, I would not have been a happy camper. Didn't help my dislocated big toe or sprained ankle and knee though :(

Scar and all, perhaps that just may be what I miss most about my ex :D

Originally posted by Pale Rider
Yeah he wore an open face. Makes no difference, you're still wrong.

Earnhardt killed at Daytona
Changing rules to please fans has tragic consequence

February 18, 2001
BY DAVE VAN DYCK
FOXSports.com

Earnhardt meant more to it than just being a champion, and he died of an apparent neck injury while NASCAR takes biting criticism for not doing more to improve safety.

http://www2.foxsports.com/obits/earnhardt/vandy1.sml

It was deduced that the weight of his helmet which contained considerable inertia at 190 mph was what snapped his neck. Although it is still not mandatory, NASCAR "recommends" that drivers wear the new "neck braces" that strap around their torso and has a large wing that comes up behind their head, and then their "HELMET" straps to that, so in the case of an impact, it holds the head from snapping foward or back, and there won't be a repeat of the Dale Earnhardt death.

Pale Rider:

And the last helmet I'd ever wear is a heavy full face. Think of all the inertial weight strapped to your head. What's going to happen to all that weight in the event of an impact? Right. It's going to help snap your neck off. Remember Dale Earnhardt? They accounted his death to the fact that the weight of his helmet, a full face, is what snapped his neck and killed him when he hit the wall.

Here's where Pale Rider is incorrect. Pale rider, in the above paragraph linked Dale's Death with him wearing a 'full-faced helmet'. As pointed out, Dale did 'not'. THAT is the point. As to what 'caused' Dale's Death, below is text from the ACTUAL REPORT SUMMARY:

The blow to the head most likely occurred as a result of contact between the left occipital region and the right side of the steering wheel during the wall impact or between the occipital (the occipital bone forms the back part of the skull) region and vehicle structure on rebound from that impact. A sequence of complex body motions during the initial impact with the No. 36 car (Ken Schrader) prepositioned the body and head to the right and slightly rearward, immediately prior to and nearly simultaneous with the wall impact. The body and head then moved in response to both impacts, first generally rightward and then generally forward. The helmet was displaced forward on the head, the left lap belt separated, and the relatively exposed area of the left head severely impacted the right side of the steering wheel or, on rebound, the posterior region of the head impacted the interior structure behind and left of the driver seat.

Sorry to burst any bubbles, but the official summary of his death does not mention his helmet, or it's weight being a factor.
Don't shift the topic from 'Pale Rider says a full-faced helmet caused Dale's Death' to 'How Dale Died'.

Back to motorcycles. Full-faced helmets do NOT offer serious weight - frankly, if one were traveling fast enough for the extra 2? pounds to make a difference, chances are NO helmet would help; death would still be a result. For every 'other than 200mph' crash, a full face helmet will go a LONG way to prevent major face trauma, as shown in that photo I posted.

Side Note:

Found this:

The night of the crash, Dr. Steve Bohannon, director of emergency medical services at Daytona International Speedway, said there were no visible signs of trauma to Earnhardt's face after the crash and that he felt the fact that Earnhardt wore an open-faced helmet did not contribute to his injuries. Five days later, however, he changed his theory, saying that a closed-face helmet of the type worn by almost every other Winston Cup driver might have made a difference.

There was a candlelight vigil held that night.

"If he had protection over his chin in this area of contact, the forces would have been different to his body and he would have a different pattern of injuries," Bohannon said. "Certainly in this particular case a full-faced helmet would have been of benefit."

More Here

Check out Sidi riding/race boots. :D

My mantra is "Wear your gear".

Textiles with 'armor'...leathers with 'armor'...good solid 'armored' riding boots and gloves. Back protector...

:D

Pale Rider:

Here's where Pale Rider is incorrect. Pale rider, in the above paragraph linked Dale's Death with him wearing a 'full-faced helmet'. As pointed out, Dale did 'not'. THAT is the point. As to what 'caused' Dale's Death, below is text from the ACTUAL REPORT SUMMARY:

Sorry to burst any bubbles, but the official summary of his death does not mention his helmet, or it's weight being a factor.
Don't shift the topic from 'Pale Rider says a full-faced helmet caused Dale's Death' to 'How Dale Died'.

What was the first thing I said in my post?

Yeah he wore an open face.

Are you just ignorant or can't you read? Maybe both.

Fact = His head snapped forward when he impacted the wall. Whether his death was from neck, face, head trauma is just sumantics. "HIS HEAD SNAPPED FORWARD"!

Fact = A helmet has "MASS". Mass in motion has "ENERGY" in the form of "INERTIA". The "weight" of the mass determines the amount of inertial energy. Also contributing to the inertial energy is the speed at which it is traveling. "FULL FACE HELMETS ARE THE HEAVIEST OF ALL HELMETS", thus having the MOST INERTIAL ENERGY WHEN IN MOTION.

Now if you don't know what the hell I'm talking about, then you must have flunked high school science.

Dale Earnhardt was traveling 190 mph with a five pound weight strapped to his head. When he impacted the wall, that five pounds drove his head forward with it's "INERTIAL ENERGY". Now I'm not going to debate as to whether or not "THAT ALONE" was the reason he died, but it's CERTAINLY a contributing factor, and race car drivers know it. That's why most now wear the "NECK BRACE" I mentioned.

And if you think you're full face helmet only weighs two fucking pounds, you better go weigh that thing jack. They weigh a hell of a lot more than that. You can't bull shit an old biker like me about shit like that ass wipe.

Dale Earnhardt (may peace be upon him - ha ha) aside, I think I am going to opt for chaps and an open face helmet myself. I don't plan on going more than 70-75 mph anyway! :D

But -=d=-, more power to you for your desire to stay safe! YTM! :thup:

Fact = His head snapped forward when he impacted the wall. Whether his death was from neck, face, head trauma is just sumantics. "HIS HEAD SNAPPED FORWARD"!

Fact = A helmet has "MASS". Mass in motion has "ENERGY" in the form of "INERTIA". The "weight" of the mass determines the amount of inertial energy. Also contributing to the inertial energy is the speed at which it is traveling. "FULL FACE HELMETS ARE THE HEAVIEST OF ALL HELMETS", thus having the MOST INERTIAL ENERGY WHEN IN MOTION.

Now if you don't know what the hell I'm talking about, then you must have flunked high school science.

Dale Earnhardt was traveling 190 mph with a five pound weight strapped to his head. When he impacted the wall, that five pounds drove his head forward with it's "INERTIAL ENERGY". Now I'm not going to debate as to whether or not "THAT ALONE" was the reason he died, but it's CERTAINLY a contributing factor, and race car drivers know it. That's why most now wear the "NECK BRACE" I mentioned.

And if you think you're full face helmet only weighs two fucking pounds, you better go weigh that thing jack. They weigh a hell of a lot more than that. You can't bull shit an old biker like me about shit like that ass wipe.

PR, dale hit that wall at over 175 miles an hour. A full face helmet would not have helped, nor would a lighter helmet have helped. The drivers in nascar use a strap that attaches the helmet to the back of the drivers seat to prevent forward head snaps. Dale did not have that. Thats how his head was allowed to snap so far forward. Had he worn that strap, with a full face or open face helm, he would have lived through that crash.

Check out Sidi riding/race boots. :D

My mantra is "Wear your gear".

Textiles with 'armor'...leathers with 'armor'...good solid 'armored' riding boots and gloves. Back protector...

damn dude - I'm ridin' a Harley, not a steed in a jousting tournament. Besides, the way I ride, if I go down, it ain't gonna matter! :cuckoo:

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
PR, dale hit that wall at over 175 miles an hour. A full face helmet would not have helped, nor would a lighter helmet have helped. The drivers in nascar use a strap that attaches the helmet to the back of the drivers seat to prevent forward head snaps. Dale did not have that. Thats how his head was allowed to snap so far forward. Had he worn that strap, with a full face or open face helm, he would have lived through that crash.

Yes. We agree DK. I said his helmet "contributed" to his head snapping foward, and it did. Full face or open face doesn't matter. "It was a helmet, that was extra weight on his head that carried energy when he hit the wall".

The new thing they wear goes on over there head, goes down the front of and back of them, and then has a big fin that sticks up in back. And from that fin they can clip a strap to their helmet that prevents there head from going to far foward. Had Dale been wearing that, he may have very well lived.

God rest his sole. He was a damn good race car driver.

damn dude - I'm ridin' a Harley, not a steed in a jousting tournament. Besides, the way I ride, if I go down, it ain't gonna matter! :cuckoo:

No shit.... :D

Hey shitstain - make up your mind...you state now that he wore open face AND full face? Are you John Kerry???

The issue is - Skull-cap/open face helmets will NOT protect one's face. How's that for science.

Why you gotta be a little bitch? seriously?

boo f'ing hoo.

doh!! You would look rather sill geared up... :)

But you'd live.

I wonder if somebody could create 'biker clothes' with actual protection, how long they'd take to make millions?

Originally posted by gop_jeff
Dale Earnhardt (may peace be upon him - ha ha) aside, I think I am going to opt for chaps and an open face helmet myself. I don't plan on going more than 70-75 mph anyway! :D

But -=d=-, more power to you for your desire to stay safe! YTM! :thup:

If you get a Harley, there's a good chance you'd have a hard time REACHING 70mph anyway :D

:p:

Forum List

Back