Gary Johnson Announces Run for President

Yeah I do drink, actually. How is that relevant again?
But I don't climb into a car and drive around. That's stupid. And illegal. And it ought to be.
And conflating pharmaceuticals with recreational drugs is a sure sign of intellectual dishonesty.

Well I can say that drinking harms your body, as it's essentially a poison, and that no responsible person would do it. So should you be legally barred from doing so because it's irresponsible to drink in the first place? Should we throw you in prison for drinking or possessing alcohol?

Your argument manages to be both invalid and unsound.

Actually it's perfectly logical. If you think it's irresponsible to do drugs, it would certainly have to be irresponsible to drink alcohol. It's just as bad for you, and worse for you than some drugs. If you think one should be illegal you'd be a hypocrite to say that the other shouldn't be.

I live in Gary Johnson's state. I lived here during the entire eight years of his governorship and I still live here. We have had much much worse governors than Gary.

On the negative side I agree that his resume is a bit thin. He has no foreign policy experience, he didn't do much to stop the influx of illegals and drug dealers coming up from Mexico, and he will really have to hit the books to get up to speed on a lot of global issues. Also being pretty much a party outsider, he lacks the connections to attract loyalty from any big names. As a result he appointed some extremely questionable people to high offices in the state during his tenure, and while none turned out to be pure scoundrels, they did make a lot of mistakes. I wouldn't know what to expect in the way of recruitment should he be President.

On the plus side he surprisingly has high name recognition. He has done a good job making himself pretty well known around the country. He built a successful multi-million dollar business from scratch and as governor he accomplished all the fiscal responsibility that has already been mentioned in this thread.

And he is a decent, honest man that appears essentially uncontaminated by heavy political influence, he gives a good speech, and he is far more personable and likable than Ron Paul while being every bit as much a libertarian.

I think he'll get some looks. I don't know if he is strong enough to win in the primaries though.

Gary Johnson won't even poll 5% in the GOP primary. If Ron Paul runs, Johnson will poll less than 2%. He would probably easily win the Libertarian party nomination however.

It would create a interesting dilemma for many of the "Small Government Conservatives" because they would have to choose between voting for whatever candidate the GOP puts out and the real McCoy in Johnson.

Well I can say that drinking harms your body, as it's essentially a poison, and that no responsible person would do it. So should you be legally barred from doing so because it's irresponsible to drink in the first place? Should we throw you in prison for drinking or possessing alcohol?

Actually it's perfectly logical. If you think it's irresponsible to do drugs, it would certainly have to be irresponsible to drink alcohol. It's just as bad for you, and worse for you than some drugs. If you think one should be illegal you'd be a hypocrite to say that the other shouldn't be.
If you don't understand that your argument is both invalid and unsound then there is no debating with you. You are simply out of your depth.

If you don't understand that your argument is both invalid and unsound then there is no debating with you. You are simply out of your depth.

Tell us how his actual logic is invalid and unsound......other than you deeming it so.? This should be good.

Gary Johnson has been a long time advocate for the decriminalization of recreational drugs and he continues to argue his philosophies about that.

As governor he made the suggestion to the strongly Democratic legislature who were not open to that idea and that's as far as it went.

So what you would have in him on that issue is a President who WOULD sign a bill decriminalizing some or all recreational drugs IF Congress should pass one. But since there is little chance that Congress would pass one, Gary's views on that are of little consequence to any of us.

It's the same deal with a President's views on abortion or anything else like that. His views might indicate whether he would or would not sign legislation that went a certain way, but otherwise have little affect on us.

We aren't going to find a President anywhere who doesn't have opinions about things that aren't shared by somebody.

I agree with the OP.. this guy is the real deal, and we need that in office NOW! Our country is going to hell in a handbag.. and if we can survive 'till the next election, and get Johnson in office.. we may just have a chance...

BTW, I've NEVER smoked pot (or tried any other illegal drugs).. so it's not just "pot heads" who would support this guy.

Johnson is a go-getter. When he has an idea, he ACTS upon it. He has successful business experience, and our country needs to be run more like a business right now.

I'm currently "Independent", but may change my affiliation so I can vote in the primaries.

I'm glad someone has finally declared openly that they are running for POTUS. Besides Barry Boy that is.

I like what I read about Johnson. Sounds like he did a great job as Gov of NM. Could care less what his views on Pot are. I'm not a user but have many friends who are.

He knows how to ge things done.

Be interesting to see who else jumps into the ring.

"Who is Gary Johnson?"

This post may be a tongue-in-cheek reference to Ayn Rand's "Who is John Galt?"

.. At least I hope so.

There are many interesting parallels between Gary Johnson and John Galt...

I'm glad someone has finally declared openly that they are running for POTUS. Besides Barry Boy that is.

I like what I read about Johnson. Sounds like he did a great job as Gov of NM. Could care less what his views on Pot are. I'm not a user but have many friends who are.

He knows how to ge things done.

Be interesting to see who else jumps into the ring.

It was interesting watching Speherd Smith on Fox News last night. They did a segment about Ron Paul announcing which sequed into a list of other Republicanss who have formed committees, folks who might be possibles and those who have already said they will not run. The usual list of suspects like Mitt, Newt, Sarah, Michelle, Huckabee, etc. Here you have Gary Johnson who has already announced he is running and his name was nowhere to be seen or heard in the report. Of course, they ignored Ron Paul last election too.

Forum List

Back