Gallup Poll:Only 24% of Americans Take Whole Bible Literally

Not all Americans are Christian. Some are adherents to other faiths that have their own sacred texts. A sizable number of Americans don't follow a religion. Among Christians, some sects have have adopted the belief that the Bible is infallible and inerrant. Some have not.

Who was surveyed in this poll? Were only self-identified Christians surveyed? The headline says "Americans," not Christians. Are "Americans" being equated with "Christians" here?

Dr James Hoffmeier Confirms the Exodus
Sounded (the little I listened to) like the timing of the Exodus corresponded with Egyptian history. That is fine, it seems likely that there were oral traditions that came down from that time. However, many of the Exodus 'facts' don't really match up with the story.

It seems fantastic that the number of Israelites was correct, cities and peoples of the ancient world were tiny compared to today. It is also unlikely that a large group came to Palestine and conquered city after city. There is no archeological evidence for such destruction and the sites there show Jews and non-Jewish Canaanites lived together and shared worship of the Canaanite pantheon of gods.

It seems to me the Exodus was more like the movement of the Irish during the Famine, relocations taking place over a period of time by small groups.

My $0.02.

Let's do some homework. Mustard seed as a size of faith and it's mountain moving power:
It germinates quickly.
And a small portion of faith can grow remarkably large just as that tiny seed grows into a giant shrub/tree, used for a variety of good.
A mustard seed can grow in the worst conditions. Poor soil, drought, wet, hot or cool climate. So can our faith grow in less than perfect conditions.
***A mustard seed cannot be corrupted. You can not hybridize it. It stays pure. In reference to faith, for instance, Chrislam is a corruption. A hybridized version of Christianity and Islam. It is a corruption of both. And that growth is not beneficial to the farmer. It comes from the enemy. Plant the wrong seed in your wheat field, and it will quickly overcome your sheaves of wheat, and you'll starve in the best of conditions...

Last edited:
People: Jesus, what is Heaven like?

Jesus: Heaven is a mustard seed.

Mustard is a weed that grows in wheat fields and makes farming a pain in the ass.
A.
A. Mustard seed. Old Math man.
Thats like less than 3 an shit.
He didn't say take the whole bottle

He replied, “Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”

Let's do some homework. Mustard seed as a size of faith and it's mountain moving power:
It germinates quickly.
And a small portion of faith can grow remarkably large just as that tiny seed grows into a giant shrub/tree, used for a variety of good.
A mustard seed can grow in the worst conditions. Poor soil, drought, wet, hot or cool climate. So can our faith grow in less than perfect conditions.
***A mustard seed cannot be corrupted. You can not hybridize it. It stays pure. In reference to faith, for instance, Chrislam is a corruption. A hybridized version of Christianity and Islam. It is a corruption of both. And that growth is not beneficial to the farmer. It comes from the enemy. Plant the wrong seed in your wheat field, and it will quickly overcome your sheaves of wheat, and you'll starve in the best of conditions...
I guess Christianity (no idea what 'Chrislam' is) is not like a mustard seed since it has NEVER been pure and still is not. How many flavors of Christianity are there today? Not saying it is a bad thing, only that it is a fact.

I guess Christianity (no idea what 'Chrislam' is) is not like a mustard seed since it has NEVER been pure and still is not. How many flavors of Christianity are there today? Not saying it is a bad thing, only that it is a fact.
The Word of God is as pure today as it was yesterday, and will be tomorrow. It hasn't deviated one bit. Man created denominations because of disagreements over dogma. That isn't the same as hybridizing. The example I used, Chrislam, is a politically correct marriage of Christianity and Islam to promote the whole, all Gods are the same God pretense.

Not, "much of" the Bible is allegory/metaphor, (a symbol with a hidden meaning), "some" of the Bible is. Some is also simile, personification, parable, epigram, irony, and literalism.
To dismiss the Bible as merely symbolic is to call God a liar. And His promises, lies.
If He says the way to escape judgment is to not judge another, there is no symbolism there. That is a tip, for our benefit. If He says Christ is coming back, then Christ is coming back. Take it literally, and be prepared...

The Word of God is as pure today as it was yesterday, and will be tomorrow. It hasn't deviated one bit. Man created denominations because of disagreements over dogma. That isn't the same as hybridizing. The example I used, Chrislam, is a politically correct marriage of Christianity and Islam to promote the whole, all Gods are the same God pretense.
But since you believe there is only one God, Allah and Yahweh must be the same. Islam recognizes the validity of the OT and NT just not their accuracy. Considering they'd been oral traditions before being written down and copied many times, not an absurd belief. If you consider Mormons to be Christian than is Islam so different?
Not, "much of" the Bible is allegory/metaphor, (a symbol with a hidden meaning), "some" of the Bible is. Some is also simile, personification, parable, epigram, irony, and literalism.
To dismiss the Bible as merely symbolic is to call God a liar. And His promises, lies.
If He says the way to escape judgment is to not judge another, there is no symbolism there. That is a tip, for our benefit. If He says Christ is coming back, then Christ is coming back. Take it literally, and be prepared...
People way smarter than me have been arguing about what the Bible means since day one. Good luck finding any 2 Christians that agree 100%.

But since you believe there is only one God, Allah and Yahweh must be the same. Islam recognizes the validity of the OT and NT just not their accuracy. Considering they'd been oral traditions before being written down and copied many times, not an absurd belief. If you consider Mormons to be Christian than is Islam so different?

People way smarter than me have been arguing about what the Bible means since day one. Good luck finding any 2 Christians that agree 100%.

They are not the same.
Man A has no children. Man B has a child. How do you know that those 2 men are not the same person?
Allah has no children. They make that quite clear on the Dome of the Rock.

As to Christians not agreeing, to the contrary. Turn on any preacher today and they are all in agreement as to the tenets of the Bible. One may not eat fish on Fri. another one may, but God's plan for the redemption of His children, the role of Jesus, the Christ, remains on solid ground.

They are not the same.
Man A has no children. Man B has a child. How do you know that those 2 men are not the same person?
Allah has no children. They make that quite clear on the Dome of the Rock.
Jesus is God and son of God so not quite that simple.

As to Christians not agreeing, to the contrary. Turn on any preacher today and they are all in agreement as to the tenets of the Bible. One may not eat fish on Fri. another one may, but God's plan for the redemption of His children, the role of Jesus, the Christ, remains on solid ground.
OK, so is belief in Jesus the only way to redemption? What of people who lived before Jesus or people who never even heard of Jesus?

Much of it is metaphor and allegory
Yeah.....here we go again with a "consensus" being projected as some kind of truth? Take a long historical look at consensus opinions. There was a consensus among men that the earth was the center of the universe and it was promoted as truth by supposed men of science........the sun revolved around the earth.......the earth was flat. And if you are going to present consensus opinion as truth.......why not promote the documented fact that 93% of the world's population accepts the philosophy of a CREATOR GOD. And the human secular type atheists make up about 7% of the 8 billion people that populate the earth? That is if consensus promotes TRUTH.....if not why not? :dunno:

As Mark Twain is quoted, "Figures do not lie......but liars sure do figure". Meaning? Anyone can direct a poll and manipulate the answers and stats by the very methodology of the questions.

Regardless of any consensus.......opinion polls do not constitute objective evidences.

Just more YELLOW JOURNALISM stirring the pot of division among THE PEOPLE. :stir:

If the Scriptures are not literal truth........why don't you present any evidences that you have through the scientific method or history actual that objectively dismisses the scriptures as (wink, wink) metaphor and allegory. What you will present, because you have nothing else will not be fact based evidences.......but conjecture, speculation, and assumption all based upon the subjective philosophy of Theoretical (cough, cough)............SCIENCE.

Carbon Dating. A theory that has no actual basis of calibration. Evolution: A theory that does not contain sufficient evidences to make it THE LAW OF EVLOUTION.

If you want to discuss Metaphorical evidences and Allegorical faith. Try telling everyone how truthful the cosmic egg philosophy of Creation goes.

Once upon a time, Billions and Billions of years ago.......no one really knows, there was this ball of pure energy (the cosmic egg)........no really knows how it came into existence, but ..........know one knows why..........this EGG of ENERGY suddenly and violently exploded expanding outward in dead space at the speed of light. This energy created gases Hydrogen and Helium..........nobody knows how, but these 2 gases formed billions and trillions of stars that in turn created all the known elements that have ever existed through nuclear fusion........... (these random violent explosions caused exquisite universal order and the laws of physics). Random natural chances created precision resulting in the evolution of these 2 gases first into mass and mater, creating all the galaxies and solar systems in the universe.......and this mass and matter through an application of external energy (an energy that has never been subject to reproduction via science) became living, breathing, consuming natural biological examples of life.

This (cough, cough) SCIENCE tells us further that man evolved first from gases, then mass and matter, and then from fish and frogs (cold blooded life). And the intelligence that exists in the universe came about through NON-INTELLIGENT CHANCE. This Science tells us that man has no more of a moral code than a MOOSE or a MOUSE......that man created his moral code through natural selections, and man is no better or worse than the moose or the mouse, because there is no transcending universal moral code. Each person establishes his/her own code...... survival of the fittest, might makes right, the strong takes advantage of the weak.....and the weak is destined to perish.

Yeah..........COMMON SENSE. :abgg2q.jpg:

Last edited:
God is a righteous God. He doesn't send people to hell on a whim:

Therefore the Lord waits to be gracious to you, and therefore he exalts himself to show mercy to you. For the Lord is a God of justice; blessed are all those who wait for him.
Shall not the judge of all the earth do what is right?

****God can have compassion and mercy on whomever he chooses
([Romans 9:15]
^
So let's start there. The literal answer to the question is:
“Sin is not taken into account when there is no law” (Romans 5:13).

That is not to say that pre Jesus people get a pass, because all people are accountable to know that God exists:
“For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities — his eternal power and divine nature — have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse”

We have 2 basic revelations from God. One is that He exists, and the other is that we are all sinners.

They may not have heard of Jesus, but they have a revelation of God. There is no excuse for not knowing him, or having a sense of sin. For example:
Tribesman Tom believes in his heart that it is wrong to talk behind people's backs, but then Tom talks about someone behind their back. Tom has committed sin in his heart. And a man's heart is what God looks at, not his head.
***And when it was time, Jesus Christ died to remove Tom's sin, so even though Tom died having never heard of Jesus, Jesus knew all about Tom.
"... with his blood he purchased people “from every tribe and tongue and people and nation” (Revelation 5:9).

Our Father is 100% Just and 100% merciful. He is on our side...

Last edited:
Jesus is God and son of God so not quite that simple.
It is simple enough to understand because Jesus and God have different roles. Christ removed our sin. God remembers them no more, for Christ's sake.
We cloned a sheep. The 2 are the same, yet different. One is a mother, one is a daughter.

Jesus, the Son is sitting next to God right now. Where is Allah's son?

It is simple enough to understand because Jesus and God have different roles. Christ removed our sin. God remembers them no more, for Christ's sake.
We cloned a sheep. The 2 are the same, yet different. One is a mother, one is a daughter.

Jesus, the Son is sitting next to God right now. Where is Allah's son?
The Trinity always makes my head hurt. It seems like a desperate attempt to reconcile the irreconcilable.

The Trinity always makes my head hurt. It seems like a desperate attempt to reconcile the irreconcilable.
Think of it this way. I am as a trinity. You probably are too.

I am a mother.
I am a daughter.
I am a wife.
And my role in each of those categories is completely different. Not being omnipresent, all three people that I am remain in one vessel.
God isn't restricted the way I am. He can be here and there at the same time. He has an ability that we do not.

Forum List

Back