GA governor to sign bill enabling guns...

dr.d

Jan 5, 2014
...to be legally brought into schools, churches and "unsecured" government buildings...
2nd Amendment championing
Or...
Political posturing in an election year
?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Not that simple. The bill would give school administrators the option to permit teachers to carry a concealed weapon and the decision would not effect all churches or bars or government buildings. The bill would also mandate the notification to the state of all involuntary mental commitments. It sounds like a good law.

Not that simple. The bill would give school administrators the option to permit teachers to carry a concealed weapon and the decision would not effect all churches or bars or government buildings. The bill would also mandate the notification to the state of all involuntary mental commitments. It sounds like a good law.

Hm...wouldn't that kind of commitment/mental illness notification depend on comprehensive background checks...including at gun shows and online...to be at all effective?

Hm...wouldn't that kind of commitment/mental illness notification depend on comprehensive background checks...including at gun shows and online...to be at all effective?

No why would it?

No why would it?

Mental Illness Notification would be pointless if the gun vendors selling guns did not use that information thru some kind of review at point of purchase...right?

No why would it?

Mental Illness Notification would be pointless if the gun vendors selling guns did not use that information thru some kind of review at point of purchase...right?

You mean like the laws we already have?

I'm sure the intent of the mandatory notification of court ordered psychiatric care was intended for the instant name check. If the same law was in effect in Virginia the worst school shooting in history would not have happened in Va. Tech because the maniac who was ordered to undergo psychiatric counseling for stalking coeds would not have been able to "legally" obtain a weapon.

The Mental Illness check should prevent Obama supporters like Frazier Glenn Cross from owning a firearm...I like it

I'm sure the intent of the mandatory notification of court ordered psychiatric care was intended for the instant name check. If the same law was in effect in Virginia the worst school shooting in history would not have happened in Va. Tech because the maniac who was ordered to undergo psychiatric counseling for stalking coeds would not have been able to "legally" obtain a weapon.

So...Ur saying that an aspiring gun purchaser would have to notify a vendor of his legal name (with proof of course) ...and the gun dealer would have to check it against the restricted list?....That WOULD amount to a kind of "background check", no?
I was under the impression that buyers at certain gun shows or online did not have to show ID or provide any personal info...Am I wrong about that?

Hopefully Florida will follow suit.

Yes!!!
Soo...With this law in effect in those gun lovin' states:
If a teacher get's annoyed with an obnoxious student...he's got more options than just assigning detention.
If the preacher drones on and on in church, bored parishioners can just blow him away..and create some excitement in the process.
If the local drunk gets out of line in a bar...BAM, problem solved.
If that durn gummit won't issue u a passport FAST...u kin expedite that at gunpoint right thar in their building...
Yup.
This is sure to make things a lot more efficient. An added bonus: With all that unrestricted gun use, eventually there will be fewer gun nuts...

...to be legally brought into schools, churches and "unsecured" government buildings...
Or...
?

I wonder if mosques are included under churches. This should be interesting.

So...Ur saying that an aspiring gun purchaser would have to notify a vendor of his legal name (with proof of course) ...and the gun dealer would have to check it against the restricted list?....That WOULD amount to a kind of "background check", no?
I was under the impression that buyers at certain gun shows or online did not have to show ID or provide any personal info...Am I wrong about that?

First of all a crazy person probably would not have an alternate I.D. A photo I.D. and another i.D. is required for gun purchases. The law goes such a long way toward eliminating the maniac glitch that it's no surprise that it had bi-partisan support including Jimmy Carter's son.

Nope. Simply notifying the state of someone being certifiably mentally ill would disqualify them from owning a firearm. All you need is a registry of people with mental issues. They'll run your name at the gun show, or at a gun store and determine your eligibility. I think it's rather ingenious.

Federal law allows residents of the same state to buy and sell firearms to each other only absent a background check, this could occur at a private home, private gun club, or a gun show.

And it’s not unusual for residents of the same state to make purchase agreements online.

Private parties may not sell guns across state lines, or to someone who is not a resident of the seller’s state, or through the mail; such transactions must occur via an FFL which includes a background check.

The new law, which goes into effect July 1, allows licensed gun owners in Georgia and visitors from 28 other states to bring a gun into a bar without restrictions and carry a firearm into some government buildings that don't have security measures.
I'm wondering if and how much alcohol consumption would be tolerated when bringing a gun into a bar? I believe they should allow the same limit as currently allowed under the DUI laws. Both guns and cars are deadly weapons when in the hands of those who are intoxicated. Some states currently do not allow guns into bars, others do but don't allow alcohol consumption, and then a few states allow alcohol consumption. However, in all cases, you are not allowed to carry when intoxicated regardless if you're in a bar.

It also allows school districts to decide whether they want some employees to carry a firearm and religious leaders to decide whether to allow licensed gun owners to tote to their church, synagogue or mosque.
I am a huge fan of allowing concealed carry for properly trained school staff (like teachers or principals). There is no doubt that the obvious benefits here far outweigh any risk factors.

A year ago this month, a man in Suwanee, Ga., faked a heart attack and took five Gwinnett County firefighters hostage at gunpoint in his house, knowing that the emergency responders would not be armed. Though the incident ended well for the firefighters — a SWAT team rescued them four hours later but killed the gunman — some Georgia legislators believe that this incident provided the impetus for the legislation to pass.
First responders (paramedics, firefighters...) should always have the option of arming themselves, as they constantly face dangerous situations where law enforcement may not always be present. Thankfully here the gunman held off till the swat team was able to neutralize him.

Ga. governor signs 'guns everywhere' into law

Or...
?

I wonder if mosques are included under churches. This should be interesting.
It also allows school districts to decide whether they want some employees to carry a firearm and religious leaders to decide whether to allow licensed gun owners to tote to their church, synagogue or mosque.

Ga. governor signs 'guns everywhere' into law

Nope. Simply notifying the state of someone being certifiably mentally ill would disqualify them from owning a firearm. All you need is a registry of people with mental issues. They'll run your name at the gun show, or at a gun store and determine your eligibility. I think it's rather ingenious.

You missed the point. The law addresses ....court ordered custody.... related to mental illness issues. Who could be against that aspect regarding obtaining firearms? The usual low information left?

Arizona is bad enough, with all the pretend cowboys packing heat, but in Atlanta, you are more likely to find gangsters packing heat. In the rural south, it is more like rednecks in single wides tending their meth labs.

I'm glad I left the state. iI is reverting to what it was like when I left (Lester Maddox was governor).

Forum List

Back